Kerry Drink Driving Permit

Started by Bingo, January 22, 2013, 10:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Can the rural publicans not come up with theme nights in these pubs so that all the locals would gather at the one time and then driving can be shared week in week out.

It's not that difficult to come up with idea's such as card nights for a suck calf, bingo nights or welly throwing nights?

I'm from a large enough town and the Fact of the matter is the busiest pub around at the weekends is 5 miles out the road in a rural area where a large gang from the town go and this is simply because the lass running it knows how to appeal to what the people want.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

magpie seanie

Quote from: deiseach on January 22, 2013, 02:13:26 PM
I think the debate is going round in circles at this stage, so I'll just make the observation that those advocating relaxation of the drink-driving laws have to be able to rationalise the increase in injuries and deaths that will be caused by it. And I'm not being a smart-arse when I say that. People get killed in cars all the time - 10 in the month of January in the Republic - yet no one advocates banning them. Maybe the improvement in the quality of life for those living in rural areas will be so great that yes, the death toll will be tolerable. I nominate Danny Healy-Rea to be the spokesman for this point of view.

I don't think you're being entirely fair Deiseach. There a lot more layers to this than "conventional wisdom" or "mainstream thinking" would have you believe. There are loads of guys who go to the pub 4-5 times a week and have 3 or 4 pints and drive home and have done so for years with no problems. These are not the people who were causing the carnage on our roads. One issue with the above proposal is that it would be open to abuse like everything else in this brown paper bag country.

deiseach

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2013, 02:27:56 PM
I don't think you're being entirely fair Deiseach. There a lot more layers to this than "conventional wisdom" or "mainstream thinking" would have you believe. There are loads of guys who go to the pub 4-5 times a week and have 3 or 4 pints and drive home and have done so for years with no problems. These are not the people who were causing the carnage on our roads. One issue with the above proposal is that it would be open to abuse like everything else in this brown paper bag country.

And there are loads of people who own guns in the United States who use them perfectly responsibly. That doesn't mean you should legislate based on their behaviour. Make no mistake, if the laws were relaxed there would be more deaths due to drink-driving. It wouldn't be hundreds, it might not even be tens. But there would be more, and those advocating relaxation should be honest about that if they really think the strangulation of rural life is so acute that Something Must Be Done.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on January 22, 2013, 02:47:34 PM

And there are loads of people who own guns in the United States who use them perfectly responsibly. That doesn't mean you should legislate based on their behaviour. Make no mistake, if the laws were relaxed there would be more deaths due to drink-driving. It wouldn't be hundreds, it might not even be tens. But there would be more, and those advocating relaxation should be honest about that if they really think the strangulation of rural life is so acute that Something Must Be Done.

These are the lads, who you come across crawling home from the pub late at night, driving at 30 klm p/hr in the countryside, driving with their parking lights as their guide, turning right without warning to car behind or to oncoming car down a country lane from mainroad, only indicating after they have turned due to probable slow reactions in remembering they should have used their indicators. It is the vigilance of good sober drivers that these people don't get killed. I was nearly in accident a few years back due to a combination of an almost certainly drunk driver ahead of me crawling at night at barely 20 klm and an eejit boyracer approaching from behind us doing well above the speed limit. This is where you have the big problems, over 50 idiots who think its acceptable to have "a few points" and under 25s thinking its "mighty craic" to race on the public roads late at night.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

gallsman

Went to college with a few lads from rural Mayo who'd be sympathetic to this kind of thing. Is it legal? An absolute disgrace.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: gallsman on January 22, 2013, 03:19:07 PM
Went to college with a few lads from rural Mayo who'd be sympathetic to this kind of thing. Is it legal? An absolute disgrace.

+1
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

magpie seanie

Quote from: deiseach on January 22, 2013, 02:47:34 PM

I do think this to be honest. You've summed it up well there though.

I also think we could save lives by having proper driving tests and recertification. When I was in my first year or two driving I did an advanced driving course purely to reduce my collosal insurance bill. It was brilliant and I learned more about driving that day that I had previously (I already had passed the test at this stage). There are so many crap drivers on the road it's unreal. I'd hazard a guess that some of the 30kph guys MGHU encountered were sober as judges.

ONeill

As the great Paidi said - 'the roughest type of f**king animals'.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

johnneycool

As Tony Baloney said, if Danny Healy Rea is so concerned about the mental welfare of his outlying constituents (have you ever heard so much shíte) he should offer a free taxi service at the end of the night. I'm sure it'd help him get a crowd in and reduce suicide as an added bonus..

when I first heard this on the radio this morning i thought it was a piss take!!

deiseach

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2013, 03:45:47 PM
I also think we could save lives by having proper driving tests and recertification. When I was in my first year or two driving I did an advanced driving course purely to reduce my collosal insurance bill. It was brilliant and I learned more about driving that day that I had previously (I already had passed the test at this stage). There are so many crap drivers on the road it's unreal. I'd hazard a guess that some of the 30kph guys MGHU encountered were sober as judges.

Fair comment. There's still a fair few of the beneficiaries of Sylvester Barrett's largesse stinking up the roads.

Bingo

Getting to the pub for a few pints isn't going to solve the rural "lifestyle" problems. Its jobs and so on that need to be sorted out.

Edit: the gobshite is just on the radio now TodayFM and started off talking about the depression and suicide rates in rural Kerry and now this will help, not solve it entirely, this issue.

He's said its not about his pub or the other councillors pub and has avoided the question could they not go to the pub to drink tea/coffee, non-alcoholic beer, soft drinks etc if its company and social interaction that they seeking. He answered by saying that you'll have to ask the people that, they like a pint of Guinness.

tyssam5

Could they not license donkeys to carry these lads home? Or one of those big, heavy black bikes?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on January 22, 2013, 04:38:05 PM
Getting to the pub for a few pints isn't going to solve the rural "lifestyle" problems. Its jobs and so on that need to be sorted out.

Edit: the gobshite is just on the radio now TodayFM and started off talking about the depression and suicide rates in rural Kerry and now this will help, not solve it entirely, this issue.

He's said its not about his pub or the other councillors pub and has avoided the question could they not go to the pub to drink tea/coffee, non-alcoholic beer, soft drinks etc if its company and social interaction that they seeking. He answered by saying that you'll have to ask the people that, they like a pint of Guinness.

You now have guys going home and having a bag of cans on their own instead of going to the pub for the few pints. Now obviously drink is a problem in our society and that's another debate but surely it's healthier to enjoy a few pints in the pub in company that a bag of cans at home watching the TV.

tyssam5

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2013, 04:47:44 PM

You now have guys going home and having a bag of cans on their own instead of going to the pub for the few pints. Now obviously drink is a problem in our society and that's another debate but surely it's healthier to enjoy a few pints in the pub in company that a bag of cans at home watching the TV.

A walk to the pub would be healthy too especially for older people. Call down to your neighbor walk in with him. Free hi-via vest and lights for the elderly rural dweller.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2013, 04:47:44 PM

Yeah, of course it is but not everyone at home drinking cans will be drinking bags of them. Lot of people do that through choice and alot will have a few cans to unwind, i know several who do that. The same as that everyone doesn't go to the pub to drink 2/3 pints and drive home, some of them are drinking a slap of pints and driving home.

Drink driving permits or higher drink driving limits won't help with societys problems such depression, alcohol problems or anything else. Be it rural ireland or in the cities.