Kerry Drink Driving Permit

Started by Bingo, January 22, 2013, 10:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 22, 2013, 12:01:12 PM
Jesus - thon Healy-Reas are an awful shower of gobdaws.

The word "gombeen" could have been invented solely to describe that family.
As others have pointed out - why can't he ( and indeed many other publicans) buy a people carrier and give everyone within a few mile radius a lift home after closing. The extra customers ( according to his take on the reason they stay away) would cover the cost.

Mind you he's not the only politician/publican who thinks drink driving is grand.
Mattie McGrath said in the Dáil one day that people uaually drive better after a few drinks  :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2013, 04:53:45 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 22, 2013, 12:01:12 PM
Jesus - thon Healy-Reas are an awful shower of gobdaws.

The word "gombeen" could have been invented solely to describe that family.
As others have pointed out - why can't he ( and indeed many other publicans) buy a people carrier and give everyone within a few mile radius a lift home after closing. The extra customers ( according to his take on the reason they stay away) would cover the cost.

Mind you he's not the only politician/publican who thinks drink driving is grand.
Mattie McGrath said in the Dáil one day that people uaually drive better after a few drinks  :-\

The notion that Public Servants would actually serve the public is astonishing.

Particularly in South Kerry.
MWWSI 2017

HiMucker

I thought this thread was going to be a piss take.  Cant believe its serious.  Absolutely ridiculous.  I'm ashamed to say I did it before and its only luck i didn't kill myself or anyone else.  Those who think a few pints don't make a difference to some people, are talking balls.  There may be times that it would be someone Else's fault.  ie a pedestrian walking in front of a car.  Some peoples reactions are better than others.  But maybe if you didn't have those drinks you could have reacted quicker.  This happened to my cousin.  He had a few pints.  Witnesses/cops testified that he seemed sober.  He killed a fella that stepped onto the road right in front of him.  He done time for it and he believes that had he not drank he could have slowed down enough that might have saved the person.  Maybe not, but at least he would have had his conscious clear if he wasn't drinking

theticklemister

This an absolute disgrace.

Legalising heroin next in Listowel.

Whats the craic now; does this go the dail?

imtommygunn

So say you're ten mile up the road from this "jurisdiction" and you drink three pints and then drive what happens you? You get points / lose your license?

Go ten mile down the road and nothing happens you.

Ludicrous. Irrespective of what the topic is here you can't have one law in one part of the country and one in another.

bennydorano

IS there no 'Rural Transport' community type organisation in operation?  In Armagh City and surrounding areas there's a crowd called Armagh Rural Transport, who hire minibuses out to local community and sporting organisations, all it costs is the price of the petrol (and having a driver who has to go through their test).  I know our GAA club avails of the service, I'd imagine it's subsidised with public money somewhere along the way, surely a system like that would e easy enough to install in any locality in Ireland?

theticklemister

I scriobhed a wee song there about this terrible, terrible motion; it goes to the tune of This Land is your Land (Woody Guthrie).

Chorus

This Land is your Land,
This Land is my Land,
From the Northern sober highlands,
To the Western non-drink-driving islands,
From the drunken hills of Kerry,
To the taxi after drinking up in Free Derry;
This land was made to drive home in safety for you and me.

Verse 1

As I was walking, by the Atlantic water,
Hand in hand there, with my little daughter,
I heard a car speeding, and it gave no heeding;
This county was made for drink-drivers not me.

Chorus

Verse 2

So I walked her home by, the old Church steeple,
Not proud of my councillors, not proud of my people,
The motion was voted in, it should of been put in the bin;
This county has sold out its soul.

Chorus

Verse 3

Then I climbed Carrauntoohil mountain, by the crystal fountain,
I heard the Atlantic roar, by my county's sea-shore,
Now they all drive the car; back home from the bar;
This was voted in by those who love the cents.

Chorus

muppet

It gets better:

A motion tabled by Danny Healy-Rae at yesterday's meeting of Kerry County Council called for special derogation from the Offences against the person Act for rural men, including small farmers. The independent councillor's motion was passed by five votes to three. Seven councillors abstained and 12 were not present for the vote.

Mr Healy-Rae claimed today that strict assault legislation was leading to inaction and frustration and in some cases, was a factor in suicide. A fellow councillor stated: "fellas need to let off some steam now and then and what better way than giving a friendly box or two." He added, "a good scrap never did any harm, sure our forefathers and some of our mothers did nothing else". 

Chief executive of the Vintners' Federation of Ireland Padraig Cribben said he hopes Mr Healy-Rae's proposal starts a conversation on issues facing rural Ireland.

"Successive governments have failed to recognise the plight of people living in rural communities. Indeed they have compounded this situation by closing rural post offices and Garda stations," he said. Another source said: "sure if they close the Gárda Stations the lads will have no one to box at all now and where will we be then boss?".

"Hopefully Cllr Healy-Rae's actions will at least succeed in getting people talking and debating the issues that face rural Ireland on a daily basis – issues that many in government and at administrative level seem blissfully unaware of."
MWWSI 2017

theticklemister

Quote from: muppet on January 22, 2013, 06:34:15 PM
It gets better:

A motion tabled by Danny Healy-Rae at yesterday's meeting of Kerry County Council called for special derogation from the Offences against the person Act for rural men, including small farmers. The independent councillor's motion was passed by five votes to three. Seven councillors abstained and 12 were not present for the vote.

Mr Healy-Rae claimed today that strict assault legislation was leading to inaction and frustration and in some cases, was a factor in suicide. A fellow councillor stated: "fellas need to let off some steam now and then and what better way than giving a friendly box or two." He added, "a good scrap never did any harm, sure our forefathers and some of our mothers did nothing else". 

Chief executive of the Vintners' Federation of Ireland Padraig Cribben said he hopes Mr Healy-Rae's proposal starts a conversation on issues facing rural Ireland.

"Successive governments have failed to recognise the plight of people living in rural communities. Indeed they have compounded this situation by closing rural post offices and Garda stations," he said. Another source said: "sure if they close the Gárda Stations the lads will have no one to box at all now and where will we be then boss?".

"Hopefully Cllr Healy-Rae's actions will at least succeed in getting people talking and debating the issues that face rural Ireland on a daily basis – issues that many in government and at administrative level seem blissfully unaware of."

It gets people talking; i'll give ye that!

Tony Baloney

You could give some bricklayers a pile of work building a wall round Kerry.

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 22, 2013, 07:12:12 PM

Mikey Sheehy (GaaBoard version) would be all for that. As would most of Cork. You might be on to something.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on January 22, 2013, 07:20:10 PM

Mikey Sheehy (GaaBoard version) would be all for that. As would most of Cork. You might be on to something.
Enda can have that one for free.

seafoid

that idea has come up before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL_PXBt85rY

muppet

Call it the Piss Wall?

I'll get me coat............and flatcap.
MWWSI 2017