Belfast rioting over removal of Union Jack

Started by Maurice Moss, December 04, 2012, 02:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

JUst retired

Not a water cannon or plastic bullet in sight, I wonder why? Are they only for Ardoyne?

EC Unique

Quote from: JUst retired on December 04, 2012, 08:11:17 AM
Not a water cannon or plastic bullet in sight, I wonder why? Are they only for Ardoyne?

Bit cold for the water cannons. Can the water be heated?

orangeman

You would and could be forgiven for thinking that last night's scenes round the city hall was something from the early 80s save for the fact that there wouldn't have been many republicans inside city hall in the eatly 80s.

Gerry Kelly will need to be careful - he's come out very strong against the police.

Sinn Fein Policing Board member Gerry Kelly said the police operation had been completely inadequate.

"I have to say, and I don't use these words unless I really mean them, it was a disgraceful police operation, or lack of a police operation," he said.

"If that had been 1,000 or more republicans out there they would not have left it that they were able to come into the back of city hall."

However, Chief Superintendent Alan McCrum said: "We put in place last night a considered police operation, a substantial police operation - there were dozens, in fact scores of police officers deployed there."

"I had a choice last night, I could have put a ring of steel around the city hall, I could have put 400 or 500 officers there, but three weeks out from Christmas is that the image we want to put out of Belfast.
"There was nothing to suggest before last night that there was going to be any significant violence."

'Orchestration'

He added: "Put the responsibility on the people who actually committed the criminality.

"Clearly there was a level of orchestration - some people brought bolt cutters, others put on masks immediately after the vote came through."

Justice Minister David Ford said some unionist politicians had to share some of the blame for the disturbances.

"The violence which took place at the city hall and round St Matthew's Church (in east Belfast) was the responsibility of two groups of people," he said.

"The first is those who went to the city hall spoiling for a fight, who attacked police officers and council staff.

The union flag has been taken down from city hall "But there is a second group which bears responsibility. DUP and UUP politicians fomented this protest, with both leaflets and the use of social media.

"They called people on to the streets. They must have known, from experience as recent as this summer, that violence was almost inevitable."

The council had to adjourn for half an hour when loyalists stormed Belfast City Hall's courtyard and came close to breaking into the building.

The DUP has now asked that the union flag be allowed to be flown every day from the cenotaph in the grounds of the building.

The proposal is being considered and requires the Alliance party to support it.

Bottles and golf balls

Of the police officers who were injured in Monday night's violence, two policewomen were treated in hospital with injuries that were not believed to be life threatening.

Some of the protesters who had gathered outside the city hall used metal barriers, bottles and golf balls to attack the police, who maintained a heavy presence in the area.

Windows were also smashed on a number of cars parked within the courtyard, including a vehicle belonging to a DUP councillor.

A police spokesperson said they had deployed additional resources to deal with public disorder in both central and east Belfast.

There was an attempt to hijack a bus on the Albertbridge Road, and there were reports that St Matthew's Catholic Church on the lower Newtownards Road came under attack.

johnneycool

Quote from: EC Unique on December 04, 2012, 09:29:57 AM

No, but a bit of piss mixed in would drop the freezing point and they'd be good to go.

LeoMc

Quote from: johnneycool on December 04, 2012, 10:19:27 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on December 04, 2012, 09:29:57 AM

No, but a bit of piss mixed in would drop the freezing point and they'd be good to go.

Have always said that. The water cannon should be filled with permanent blue dye and horse p!$$.

Nally Stand

However, Chief Superintendent Alan McCrum said: "We put in place last night a considered police operation, a substantial police operation - there were dozens, in fact scores of police officers deployed there."

Around a thousand unionist protesters behaving like animals and yet this "substantial" police operation started off as SIX cops, in normal uniform, some of whom were normal community policing officers. F***ing joke!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

charlieTully

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 04, 2012, 12:12:15 PM

Around a thousand unionist protesters behaving like animals and yet this "substantial" police operation started off as SIX cops, in normal uniform, some of whom were normal community policing officers. F***ing joke!

any arrests yet?

trileacman

do we need three threads on this f**king shite?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trileacman on December 04, 2012, 01:33:24 PM
do we need three threads on this f**king shite?

As far as I could see from the news it wasn't even a riot!! I've seen more of a riot at Next when it opens after Xmas FFS
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

glens abu

Quote from: charlieTully on December 04, 2012, 12:37:06 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 04, 2012, 12:12:15 PM

any arrests yet?

Three  :o

GalwayBayBoy

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.