Belfast rioting over removal of Union Jack

Started by Maurice Moss, December 04, 2012, 02:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteGetting absorbed into the German protectorate to the south is not particularly appealing at present.

This is precisely the type of nonsense around.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: snoopdog on December 04, 2012, 04:02:10 PM
Why do we elect these idiots if all they are concerned about is what rag flys over City hall. What about employment, Health etc are these not more important tha a rag be it red white and Blue or Green white and Orange. might be better off going back to direct rule if this is what these clowns spend their night debating.

Hang on a minute. It's not like they were only elected yesterday. Republicans have been in the majority for... it must be about 10 years or so. They've even had a mayor or two.

What do you think they've been doing all that time? Making tea for the unionists?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

red hander

Quote from: Itchy on December 04, 2012, 07:38:37 PM
Quote from: Ulick on December 04, 2012, 03:10:52 PM
No Surreennndeeerrahhhh    :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-eSmCZA9xg

There was a touch of the banshee of that one at about 2mins.

Proof that care in the community has been a complete disaster

Armaghgeddon

Christmas Market for me next week  ;D

On a side note Robinson looked a bit annoyed about what happened, tarnished the good people's reputation it seems.

It is only a flag but what people have got to realize is that NI has two major communities and the Union Jack was symbolic of just one. Best way for all would be to have both flags up or none at all.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on December 04, 2012, 10:24:10 PM
Christmas Market for me next week  ;D

On a side note Robinson looked a bit annoyed about what happened, tarnished the good people's reputation it seems.

It is only a flag but what people have got to realize is that NI has two major communities and the Union Jack was symbolic of just one. Best way for all would be to have both flags up or none at all.

David McNarry on tv there, it's  likes someone has died FFS!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Malvinas

"It was a bit of handbags stuff. I suppose the cameras caught it?"

Eamonnca1

Where's EG when you need him? I has looking forward to hearing his views on this motion to bring flag-flying practices into line with the rest of the UK.

tyssam5

Quote from: The Iceman on December 04, 2012, 03:58:03 PM
I seen a lad on FB there (protestant) saying that only 20% of RC's are in favour of a United Ireland - would this be true in the occupied 6?
I also see a lot of worrying posts from RC's talking about forgetting about the past and our N.I..... I don't remember anyone calling the place N.I growing up....not sure what people think these days, maybe my politics are more republican because i'm away from home...

It's true, my nephews and nieces are pretty NI, which definitely wouldn't have been the case when I was younger. If the Unionists hadn't been so discriminatory and busy building a 'Protestant state for a Protestant people' they'd have made plenty of us into NI people long ago!

tyssam5

Anyway back to the topic on hand, the dying throes of the once powerful beast are fairly amusing to watch!

LeoMc

Quote from: armaghniac on December 04, 2012, 07:41:45 PM
QuoteGetting absorbed into the German protectorate to the south is not particularly appealing at present.

A bit tongue in cheek perhaps but my substantive point stands. The biggest challenge for nationalism is to create an Ireland that everyone can feel at home in. A lot of people are more concerned with how much tax they pay rather than who they pay it to (or who gives the biggest handouts).

5-10 years of Austerity in the South to keep the German pension funds happy and get the economy back on track while Westminister gradually cuts the funding here to fund their ongoing wars and a United Ireland will begin to seem more appealing.

Tubberman

Quote from: LeoMc on December 05, 2012, 08:47:53 AM

A bit tongue in cheek perhaps but my substantive point stands. The biggest challenge for nationalism is to create an Ireland that everyone can feel at home in. A lot of people are more concerned with how much tax they pay rather than who they pay it to (or who gives the biggest handouts).

5-10 years of Austerity in the South to keep the German pension funds happy and get the economy back on track while Westminister gradually cuts the funding here to fund their ongoing wars and a United Ireland will begin to seem more appealing.

Well then they shouldn't be calling themselves Nationalists or Republicans.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

LeoMc

Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2012, 08:55:24 AM

What label do you propose for Irish people who are not Unionists?

Tubberman

Quote from: LeoMc on December 05, 2012, 08:57:46 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2012, 08:55:24 AM

What label do you propose for Irish people who are not Unionists?

Northern Irish without any further tag?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

charlieTully

Quote from: tyssam5 on December 05, 2012, 02:33:26 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on December 04, 2012, 03:58:03 PM
I seen a lad on FB there (protestant) saying that only 20% of RC's are in favour of a United Ireland - would this be true in the occupied 6?
I also see a lot of worrying posts from RC's talking about forgetting about the past and our N.I..... I don't remember anyone calling the place N.I growing up....not sure what people think these days, maybe my politics are more republican because i'm away from home...

It's true, my nephews and nieces are pretty NI, which definitely wouldn't have been the case when I was younger. If the Unionists hadn't been so discriminatory and busy building a 'Protestant state for a Protestant people' they'd have made plenty of us into NI people long ago!

this makes no sense, grammatically or otherwise.

Applesisapples

Quote from: AQMP on December 04, 2012, 05:39:40 PM
I'm not sure of the numbers of Catholics who are either pro-union or pro-United Ireland but I know there are many who are pro-status quo rather than pro-union, if you see what I mean.  They are still a long way from voting Unionist in any great numbers but younger people (in my experience) now find it easier to separate identity and politics than previous generations e.g. they are comfotable seeing themselves as Irish but living in N Ireland.
I would agree with this, my children see themselves very much as Irish, have no afinity for the Queen, Union Flag etc... But ahve no problem living in NI as it is and see jobs rather than Unity or politics as a priority. Note they consider themselves Irish, not Northern Irish but can seperate this identity from the state. Their many Protestant friends would consider themselves Northren Irish first and for most, some but not all would then add British.

Regarding the flags issue. Unionists have accepted by their support for the GFA that the state has divided nationalities, by extension therefore flags and emblems of both need to be given respect. However when it comes down to it, what ever about Peter Robinson's fine words parity of citizenship or esteem can only recognise the "majority communities" British Identity.

I think in the round there are a sizeable number of people who really don't care where tax is paid or to whom, just how much. Many Natioanlists are happy to stand under the Tricolour at GAA events etc but are equally has happy to serve the crown when it arises and stand under the union flag.