Belfast rioting over removal of Union Jack

Started by Maurice Moss, December 04, 2012, 02:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 04, 2012, 01:55:17 PM
Quote from: trileacman on December 04, 2012, 01:33:24 PM
do we need three threads on this f**king shite?

As far as I could see from the news it wasn't even a riot!! I've seen more of a riot at Next when it opens after Xmas FFS

That's what I thought!! FFS they did f**k all compared what used to happen 10 or 15 years ago.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

The Iceman

I seen a lad on FB there (protestant) saying that only 20% of RC's are in favour of a United Ireland - would this be true in the occupied 6?
I also see a lot of worrying posts from RC's talking about forgetting about the past and our N.I..... I don't remember anyone calling the place N.I growing up....not sure what people think these days, maybe my politics are more republican because i'm away from home...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

snoopdog

Why do we elect these idiots if all they are concerned about is what rag flys over City hall. What about employment, Health etc are these not more important tha a rag be it red white and Blue or Green white and Orange. might be better off going back to direct rule if this is what these clowns spend their night debating.

red hander

Quote from: The Iceman on December 04, 2012, 03:58:03 PM
I seen a lad on FB there (protestant) saying that only 20% of RC's are in favour of a United Ireland - would this be true in the occupied 6?
I also see a lot of worrying posts from RC's talking about forgetting about the past and our N.I..... I don't remember anyone calling the place N.I growing up....not sure what people think these days, maybe my politics are more republican because i'm away from home...

Awful amount of wishful thinking (ie lies) from unionists about nationalist thinking, none of which has any basis in fact (ie voting figures). Resorting to lies is a sure sign of desperation by Robbo and co

fitzroyalty

Quote from: snoopdog on December 04, 2012, 04:02:10 PM
Why do we elect these idiots if all they are concerned about is what rag flys over City hall. What about employment, Health etc are these not more important tha a rag be it red white and Blue or Green white and Orange. might be better off going back to direct rule if this is what these clowns spend their night debating.
I didn't know Belfast City Council were responsible for Employment, Health etc. This is/was a Belfast City Council issue, and a very symbolic one at that.

screenexile

Quote from: red hander on December 04, 2012, 05:07:41 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on December 04, 2012, 03:58:03 PM

Awful amount of wishful thinking (ie lies) from unionists about nationalist thinking, none of which has any basis in fact (ie voting figures). Resorting to lies is a sure sign of desperation by Robbo and co

They may have a point though. Among the younger Catholic population there is a lot of apathy towards a United Ireland. Yeah we would be standing under the tricolour but would we really be better off? Certainly when Catholics were oppressed in the 60's 70's and 80's it looked as if we'd be better off in a United Ireland but I don't think we would be anymore. Rory McIlroy would be the prime example of this apathy. He's Irish when it suits and British when it suits and doesn't care for all the labels people want to put on him.

Put that along with the fact the Free State couldn't afford to accommodate us and I don't see a United Ireland happening anytime soon!

AQMP

I'm not sure of the numbers of Catholics who are either pro-union or pro-United Ireland but I know there are many who are pro-status quo rather than pro-union, if you see what I mean.  They are still a long way from voting Unionist in any great numbers but younger people (in my experience) now find it easier to separate identity and politics than previous generations e.g. they are comfotable seeing themselves as Irish but living in N Ireland.

fitzroyalty

So long as SF are the majority Nat. party then I'm happy to accept that the majority of Nationalists are open to the idea of a UI. I'd agree with screenexile re apathy which IMO is on the increase, not just among young people but also middle-aged people. (Our Rory was a poor example of it though!) People are happy with the relative stability here, other than one or two hotspots they can get on with their lives hassle free. That said I think a UI will be pushed up the agenda in coming years, the union will be decided on in 2014 which could have huge repercussions for NI's status.

Puckoon

Quote from: AQMP on December 04, 2012, 05:39:40 PM
I'm not sure of the numbers of Catholics who are either pro-union or pro-United Ireland but I know there are many who are pro-status quo rather than pro-union, if you see what I mean.  They are still a long way from voting Unionist in any great numbers but younger people (in my experience) now find it easier to separate identity and politics than previous generations e.g. they are comfotable seeing themselves as Irish but living in N Ireland.

For Pro-status quo see 'Pro-self interest', which no matter how anyone tries to dice it is the bottom line for opinion on the issue.

armaghniac

Anyone who supports the GFA is consequently content to live in UK for the present, as there is not majority to change things. You can be "content" and vote for a nationalist party to bring about a change in this situation.

At present there is a lot of false economics about, a lot of self interest and no need to rush things.
The main problem is that the nationalist parties are currently pure useless. But in a decade, when the present economic conditions are a memory and with an ever increasing numbers of Taigs, if the SDLP got a figure of the calibre of Alex Salmond then it could all change and quite quickly.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LeoMc

The biggest challenge for nationalism is to create an Ireland that is worth voting for, one where everyone on this Island can feel at home. Getting absorbed into the German protectorate to the south is not particularly appealing at present.

The biggest challenge for unionism is to create a state here where everyone feels comfortable. On last nights evidence they have not realised this.

Itchy