Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Ireland, July 2013

Started by Sandino, November 28, 2012, 02:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Would expect him to be playing 41 Shots quite a bit over next few weeks following the Zimmerman acquittal.

Regardless of the lyrical content, I think it's an incredible song. The version on Live in New York City is spine-tingling.

O'Neill, I have to confess to being one of those cult members, a fanboy if you will. Springsteen just seems to resonate with Irish people.

fearglasmor

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 18, 2013, 11:34:39 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 18, 2013, 11:24:11 AM
Springsteen fans are very passionate/fanatical towards the man and his music. I have spoken to a right few over the last month and it's almost cultish. Nothing wrong with that by the way.
and yet he is laughing at them behind their back as he lodges another few million in the bank...

Absolutely correct Toni Baloney. There should be a public investigation in how The Springsteen Mafia hoodwinks the innocent irish fans into parting with their hard earned millions. It cant be right that I had Nils and Steven arrive at my house forcing me at guitar point to go online and buy tickets for every concert here since 1985. But even more sinister is the fact that I have been kidnapped several times and brought to UK, Holland and Germany and forced to endure his particular brand of torture. At this point I am living in fear that I will be abducted by Springsteen UFO's and abandoned somewhere in the swamps of jersey. Just the thought of it fills me with dread. We need to expose this meanace.

deiseach

The cult-like aura surrounding the Boss is something I find kinda off-putting. Not because I think he's a charlatan or anything like that, it's the way his fans know everything about him is intimidating to the newbie. The AV Club had a very enjoyable primer on his work a few (six!) years back, I really must follow up on it some day.

Edit: as an aside, one of the comments on that link notes how "there's nothing embarrassing about him [live] like some rock stars who should've quit a long time ago". Strange but true.

Hardy

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 18, 2013, 02:12:05 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 18, 2013, 11:34:39 AM
Springsteen fans are very passionate/fanatical towards the man and his music. I have spoken to a right few over the last month and it's almost cultish. Nothing wrong with that by the way.
and yet he is laughing at them behind their back as he lodges another few million in the bank...

Absolutely correct Toni Baloney. There should be a public investigation in how The Springsteen Mafia hoodwinks the innocent irish fans into parting with their hard earned millions. It cant be right that I had Nils and Steven arrive at my house forcing me at guitar point to go online and buy tickets for every concert here since 1985. But even more sinister is the fact that I have been kidnapped several times and brought to UK, Holland and Germany and forced to endure his particular brand of torture. At this point I am living in fear that I will be abducted by Springsteen UFO's and abandoned somewhere in the swamps of jersey. Just the thought of it fills me with dread. We need to expose this meanace.

Thousands of captives at a time actually revelling in their ordeal. It's the biggest case of mass Stockholm syndrome known to man.

belleaqua

Quote from: deiseach on July 18, 2013, 03:03:54 PM
The cult-like aura surrounding the Boss is something I find kinda off-putting. Not because I think he's a charlatan or anything like that, it's the way his fans know everything about him is intimidating to the newbie. The AV Club had a very enjoyable primer on his work a few (six!) years back, I really must follow up on it some day.

Edit: as an aside, one of the comments on that link notes how "there's nothing embarrassing about him [live] like some rock stars who should've quit a long time ago". Strange but true.

While I am a huge Springsteen fan I would have to agree with you there. Some of it can be off putting, its like a competition with some people you would meet. Casual friends of mine have said the same but in fairness they are in the minority (the Bruce know it alls) despite being a large one!

Anyway, incredible night in Limerick. As stated here already the sound quality was excellent I felt and was in my top 2-3 shows ever. Anytime you here the Born to Run alum straight through you have had a good night. It's a phenomenal run of 8 brilliant songs. Absolutely loved it.

David McKeown

Not a bad gig tonight. Not as good as Tuesday but still good. Great ending with a solo accoustic Thunder Road. Shorter than normal too.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

mb80b60

What's the craic with getting into the pit for the King's Hall ladS?

Jim_Murphy_74

Took myself and Mrs. Murphy to Thomond last Tuesday night.  Both Springsteen-virgins.   On the car down to Limerick we listen to a good few albums that I had downloaded.

Both were umimpressed and concerned as to having to listen to 3hours plus of same.

However, have to say really enjoyed the show and music comes across much better live.  We were there for the 3 acoustic numbers at 5.20 so I guess we are die-hard members of the cult now.

Going home next day I listened to Born to Run in the car and still it wouldn't be my bag.

I'm glad I went and it's another box ticked on bucket-list but wouldn't be keen to go again. 

Album-wise I'd still be more of a collection man when it comes to Bruce.

Also at 6 yo-yos a pint of Cider (or Cidre as it was) it was hard enough to get to the Jim Morisson level.........

/Jim.

Sandino

Is there any decent places to park up at the Kings Hall? I hope to get there early but not sure about parking.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Wildweasel74

am going to park on the other side of the lisburn rd at osbourne park as i be coming in that direction, Boss better produce the goods the nite, first derry game am missing in 3yrs, damn them qualifiers!!

Syferus

To be honest I just listen to The Essential compilation album and that track he did for The Wrestler and I'm grand.

Maybe I'll mature towards his albums in my more vintaged years. No offence or anything, gramps.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2013, 11:33:40 PM
To be honest I just listen to The Essential compilation album and that track he did for The Wrestler and I'm grand.

Maybe I'll mature towards his albums in my more vintaged years. No offence or anything, gramps.

?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Syferus

Quote from: anglocelt39 on July 20, 2013, 11:41:51 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2013, 11:33:40 PM

?

??

BennyCake

I don't get the big hype around Brucey and these gigs. A few decent hits in the 80s, but he has done nothing in probably 20 years. And when did everyone suddenly become his biggest fan?!

Newbridge Exile

Fantastic concert (despite having to wait  in line at bar.from 6.45 to 8.15)