Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Ireland, July 2013

Started by Sandino, November 28, 2012, 02:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Lads,

Seems there are two looking one ticket each, which will suit the best.  Can ye drop me a PM and I'll arrange passing them on to ye.

Cheers

T Fearon

Highorlow,my views on the artistes you mentioned are that they are quite simply commercial recording artistes,nothing more or nothing less,all living or lived privileged lives without any of the problems,oppression etc that they seem so fond of writing and singing about.

Tony Baloney

http://m.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/07/30/120730fa_fact_remnick?currentPage=all

Someobe tweeted the link to that (very long) article saying "If you don't love Springsteen at the end of this magnificent New Yorker piece, yr probably dead".

CrokerTime

I have an extra ticket for the Kilkenny show on Sunday 28th July. If anyone is looking it just send me a pm.

T Fearon

Andy Murray donated hsi Wimbledoon prize cheque of £1.6m to a Cancer Hospital. When did you ever see Springsteen and/or Bono practice what they lyrically preach?

mb80b60

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2013, 11:43:32 AM
Andy Murray donated hsi Wimbledoon prize cheque of £1.6m to a Cancer Hospital. When did you ever see Springsteen and/or Bono practice what they lyrically preach?

Not sure what Andy Murray has to do with anything, but Bruce Springsteen has donated millions to charity.

deiseach

What a surprise, more lies. Andy Murray donated his Queen's winnings to the Royal Marsden. He has not donated his Wimbledon winnings. I guess he might do. He'll probably now get abuse if he doesn't. But as of now, it's just not true.

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Bingo

Firstly, I'm sure you on your usual WU but Murray hasn't stated anywhere that he is donating any of his prize money and said so yesterday after it to journo's. It was internet specualtion and hearsay due to the fact he donated his prize money from the Queens tournement to the cancer hospital - stg73,000, which was very honourable.

Secondly, if you where been cynical (like yourself), you'd know the prize money will pale in comparison to his bankability now and been seen as the sort who donates prize money would only increase this further.

Thirdly, you have no idea what Bono, springsteen or anyone else does. I read once an article about some fundraiser head in Ireland and he was asked about the likes of Bono supporting his charity and he put that he'd rather 2/3 hours of Bonos time than a donation from him as would be far more benefical to the charity.

T Fearon

"Secondly, if you where been cynical (like yourself), you'd know the prize money will pale in comparison to his bankability now and been seen as the sort who donates prize money would only increase this further "

Ignore, if you will, the crime against grammar as represented in the above sentence, and simply ponder if Springsteen and Co were to make a similar gesture, would the alleged impact not be the same? Kudos and enhanced bankability?

Bingo

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2013, 12:32:31 PM
"Secondly, if you where been cynical (like yourself), you'd know the prize money will pale in comparison to his bankability now and been seen as the sort who donates prize money would only increase this further "

Ignore, if you will, the crime against grammar as represented in the above sentence, and simply ponder if Springsteen and Co were to make a similar gesture, would the alleged impact not be the same? Kudos and enhanced bankability?

Well you can answer that, you seem to have issue with anyone with anyone been successful and not giving everything away. Sports stars will need a good public profile to make them marketable and allow them continue to earn when the actual playing days stop eg TV work, endorsements, branding etc. Music or rock stars won't, they can tour and fill venues regardless of age or perceived public image.

J70

Tell us Tony, what kind of charitable donations do Springsteen and Bono make or don't make?

And given that you're not walking away from the discussion, you still haven't answered my questions from a few days back.:

Can you or any of the other northern lads speak informatively about growing up in and experiencing the troubles, even if you've moved away from it and left that life behind? Could you boys draw from your experience and write about what it is like to live through, either in prose or song? Could you genuinely speak about what people in similar trouble spots around the world are going through, even though it might be decades since you, or other lads here, lived it yourself?

haveaharp

Quote from: J70 on July 08, 2013, 01:59:29 PM

Tell us Tony, what kind of charitable donations do Springsteen and Bono make or don't make?

And given that you're not walking away from the discussion, you still haven't answered my questions from a few days back.:

Can you or any of the other northern lads speak informatively about growing up in and experiencing the troubles, even if you've moved away from it and left that life behind? Could you boys draw from your experience and write about what it is like to live through, either in prose or song? Could you genuinely speak about what people in similar trouble spots around the world are going through, even though it might be decades since you, or other lads here, lived it yourself?

Ah well no like, it didnt touch my doorstep therefore dont comment. ::)
Top post j70

T Fearon

Definitely. I could write a song, Born to Run, as I had to do that often enough to avoid a kicking, or Born in N.I. "The first kick I nearly got was avoided when I hit the ground running".

J70

So why can't Springsteen write about poverty and working class struggles given that he himself grew up in those circumstances?