Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Ireland, July 2013

Started by Sandino, November 28, 2012, 02:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Going off topic, the two tickets I have are still available as the above deals didn't come off.

The multi-millionaire is well worth seeing  ;)

T Fearon

J70, he has every entitlement to write songs and make millions, no problem with that. But I am just pointing out that his songs about oppression etc ostensibly rail against the very "system" that made him a multi millionaire in the first place (ie capitalism, commercial promotion to enhance wealth, tax regimes that favour the super rich etc), so if he truly objects to the "system" he should renounce the vast wealth he has accrued from that same "system".

Bingo

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2013, 03:50:21 PM
J70, he has every entitlement to write songs and make millions, no problem with that. But I am just pointing out that his songs about oppression etc ostensibly rail against the very "system" that made him a multi millionaire in the first place (ie capitalism, commercial promotion to enhance wealth, tax regimes that favour the super rich etc), so if he truly objects to the "system" he should renounce the vast wealth he has accrued from that same "system".

What drivel

Asal Mor

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2013, 02:28:13 PM
Definitely. I could write a song, Born to Run, as I had to do that often enough to avoid a kicking, or Born in N.I. "The first kick I nearly got was avoided when I hit the ground running".

:D  :D

deiseach

screenexile

Quote from: deiseach on July 08, 2013, 04:46:17 PM
Hates the Crown but loves the halfcrown.

Anyone know of a hotel with even 1 room for Saturday night?

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2013, 03:50:21 PM

But that's not what we were discussing. You were condemning him for some of the songs he writes, claiming that his current status meant he could have no clue what it was like to be poor or working class or whatever.

And the rest of your post precludes the possibility that a capitalist system can be run in a fair way, without the manipulation, fraud and ridiculous deregulation that lead to the most recent US crash.

And I'm not claiming he's a saint or above contradiction or hypocrisy in his personal life. No one is. He's had a couple of disgruntled former employees over his 40+ year career (is there any business person who hasn't?), but the vast majority of people have stayed with him. I've read stories of his people playing hardball with members of the E Street Band over pay, while Springsteen himself tells said members to "stick it" to the management (makes no sense to me either!). I'm sure he can be a complete arsehole, as can anyone. But that wasn't the point. The point was whether he could genuinely address the issues he addresses in his music.

T Fearon

No doubt he can address the issues,in a very profitable and crassly commercial way.

The point I thought we were discussing was sincerity and the extent to which he genuinely cares,or my firm belief that he is simply cashing in and conning people.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2013, 06:28:43 PM
No doubt he can address the issues,in a very profitable and crassly commercial way.

The point I thought we were discussing was sincerity and the extent to which he genuinely cares,or my firm belief that he is simply cashing in and conning people.

Like the Church?
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2013, 06:28:43 PM

So to equate it the six counties, in your opinion anyone who leaves it behind but still writes or sings about the troubles is just crassly exploiting it. They couldn't possibly REALLY care, based on their youthful experiences or the current ones of their relatives.

Hardy

Definitely. I could write a song, Born to Run, as I had to do that often enough to avoid a kicking

This I can believe.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2013, 07:55:38 PM
Definitely. I could write a song, Born to Run, as I had to do that often enough to avoid a kicking

This I can believe.

Born to talk, learned to run.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Sorry but multi millionaires and tax evaders rabbiting on about oppression,and the poor downtrodden salt of the earth do not tug at my heartstrings,nor do I need to know that they pretend to care.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2013, 09:03:13 PM
Sorry but multi millionaires and tax evaders rabbiting on about oppression,and the poor downtrodden salt of the earth do not tug at my heartstrings,nor do I need to know that they pretend to care.

Oh but they do.
MWWSI 2017

mb80b60

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2013, 09:03:13 PM

Is Bruce Springsteen a tax evader?