woman dies for want of a abortion

Started by guy crouchback, November 14, 2012, 04:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Abortion is going to be made legal. It is inevitable. The current set up.whereby 5k Irish abortions are outsourced to heathen England is a joke. Women deserve the final say over what happens with their own bodies. The recent cases over that Indian lady and the dead woman with the open head wound should have been enough.  Both the legal and medical professions are a disgrace.

screenexile

Quote from: seafoid on April 07, 2016, 07:06:56 AM
Abortion is going to be made legal. It is inevitable. The current set up.whereby 5k Irish abortions are outsourced to heathen England is a joke. Women deserve the final say over what happens with their own bodies. The recent cases over that Indian lady and the dead woman with the open head wound should have been enough.  Both the legal and medical professions are a disgrace.

I would blame the right wing politicians in power for it more than medical or legal professions!

No wides

Quote from: armaghniac on April 06, 2016, 09:07:54 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 06, 2016, 08:33:52 PM
It amounts to criminalising a young girl because she was poor. Had she the money she'd have been across the water had it done and no one would be any the wiser. And don't get me started on that psycho Bernie Smyth. Whatever cause she thinks she is progressing she is doing it no favours at all.

Complete nonsense. She committed a criminal offence and got a criminal sentence. Nothing to do with being poor. It is complete bollix to claim that people should be allowed break the law in one place because in some other place in the world that activity is not against the law.

Bullshit there are some laws in existence today that you wouldn't be prosecuted for, the sooner religion is taken out of Norn Ireland politics the better for us all, no doubt though that is generations away with halfwits voting in the same bigoted c***ts in May as usual.

LeoMc

Quote from: No wides on April 07, 2016, 10:34:32 AM
It amounts to criminalising a young girl because she was poor. Had she the money she'd have been across the water had it done and no one would be any the wiser. And don't get me started on that psycho Bernie Smyth. Whatever cause she thinks she is progressing she is doing it no favours at all.

Complete nonsense. She committed a criminal offence and got a criminal sentence. Nothing to do with being poor. It is complete bollix to claim that people should be allowed break the law in one place because in some other place in the world that activity is not against the law.

Bullshit there are some laws in existence today that you wouldn't be prosecuted for, the sooner religion is taken out of Norn Ireland politics the better for us all, no doubt though that is generations away with halfwits voting in the same bigoted c***ts in May as usual.
That is one for the Grinds my gears threads. When will people here realise that every election is not a referendum on a UI and vote on policies other than tribalism.

general_lee

Quote from: armaghniac on April 06, 2016, 09:37:01 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 06, 2016, 09:33:05 PM

Criminal because of a 150 year old law. Hardly the foundation for good law.

The case for abortion is one thing. But these arguments about the cost of travelling, the age of the law and so forth are ridiculous. Killing people , of which abortion is a variation, has been prohibited for a very long time, but this is not necessarily a reason to permit it.
Destroying a bunch of cells is not killing someone. Even in this case, at 12 weeks, it is not killing someone. No person was killed.

laoislad

Quote from: general_lee on April 07, 2016, 12:13:41 PM

The case for abortion is one thing. But these arguments about the cost of travelling, the age of the law and so forth are ridiculous. Killing people , of which abortion is a variation, has been prohibited for a very long time, but this is not necessarily a reason to permit it.
Destroying a bunch of cells is not killing someone. Even in this case, at 12 weeks, it is not killing someone. No person was killed.
So if a woman miscarriages at 12 weeks she shouldn't be upset because she hasn't lost a baby but only a bunch of cells?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

general_lee

Quote from: laoislad on April 07, 2016, 12:17:18 PM
Quote from: general_lee on April 07, 2016, 12:13:41 PM

So if a woman miscarriages at 12 weeks she shouldn't be upset because she hasn't lost a baby but only a bunch of cells?
Of course she should; but you're missing the point entirely.

lfdown2

Out of interest, when does the bunch of cells gain rights?

general_lee

Quote from: lfdown2 on April 07, 2016, 02:16:10 PM
Out of interest, when does the bunch of cells gain rights?
You tell me

Maguire01

Quote from: screenexile on April 07, 2016, 10:23:58 AM

I would blame the right wing politicians in power for it more than medical or legal professions!
+1
The legal and medical professionals can only work within the law as it stands. It's up to politicians to make the changes.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 07, 2016, 05:39:43 PM

+1
The legal and medical professionals can only work within the law as it stands. It's up to politicians to make the changes.

The legal profession has resisted change for a long, long time.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/european-commission-urges-dublin-to-enact-contentious-legal-reform-bill-in-full-1.1818119
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/troika-legal-reforms-now-face-delays-1.2006102
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on April 07, 2016, 05:42:49 PM

+1

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/european-commission-urges-dublin-to-enact-contentious-legal-reform-bill-in-full-1.1818119
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/troika-legal-reforms-now-face-delays-1.2006102
Am I missing something in those links? I can see nothing related to the matter being discussed here.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 07, 2016, 07:47:30 PM

+1

Am I missing something in those links? I can see nothing related to the matter being discussed here.

There is nothing about abortion in those links. My point was it is more than right wing politicians that block change in Ireland.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on April 07, 2016, 08:14:44 PM

+1

There is nothing about abortion in those links. My point was it is more than right wing politicians that block change in Ireland.
The links refer to changes that would affect the legal profession themselves. I see nothing of them blocking progress on this or similar matters. It's totally down to the politicians.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: muppet on April 07, 2016, 08:14:44 PM

+1

And therein lies the crux of the problem least on the North. We have the worlds most inept politicians at Stormont who are incapable of dealing with grown up adult politics.