woman dies for want of a abortion

Started by guy crouchback, November 14, 2012, 04:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

People not wanting the pregnancy is different from using it as birth control - what I'm suggesting is very few people will actually avoid safe sex because they're aware that abortion is available, therefore reducing the need for safe sex.

Accidents happen, and if they do, in my opinion, the woman should have the right to avail herself of abortion services if she so chooses. I don't particularly like it, and believe there should be much more education and awareness of alternatives, but the option should be there - her body, her choice.

laoislad

People often use worst case scenarios when advocating abortion. What if the woman was raped or a victim of incest etc.
I fully agree these are sensitive situations and need to be looked at differently than other abortion cases.
I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the decision to abort in such cases but I do agree it deserves further debate and I would respect a woman's choice in such a case.

However,how many of all abortions are of such cases. What about the cases such as Mary going on a night out and having a one night stand and discovering a few months later that she is pregnant.
Mary says to herself, oh fcuk I wanted to go to Australia this year,ah fcuk it sure I'll have an abortion.
I can't agree with abortion in such circumstance.

In the UK it is legal to have an abortion at 40 weeks if it is discovered the baby has a disability. 40 weeks!!...That's full term.
There is only one word for that..it's murder pure and simple.I'm not talking about fatal fetal abnormalities here,which is about the only time I would agree with abortion. I'm talking about conditions such as Down Syndrome and Spina bifida.
How is aborting these babies at 40 weeks any different to letting them being born and then killing them. It is no different in my opinion.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on February 12, 2016, 03:50:52 PM
a lot of you are quoting extreme cases and asking us for responses.
It's worth noting that the vote in Stormont this week was for a very narrow change in the law, for cases of fatal foetal abnormality. All of these would, by their nature, be extreme cases.

The Iceman

its funny if you google the term "fatal fetal abnormality" its the NI laws that show up . you struggle to find it mentioned anywhere else - in fact some articles are health practitioners stating there is no such term - yet in NI there is a law based on it.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on February 12, 2016, 07:42:06 PM
its funny if you google the term "fatal fetal abnormality" its the NI laws that show up . you struggle to find it mentioned anywhere else - in fact some articles are health practitioners stating there is no such term - yet in NI there is a law based on it.....
What law is that?

The Iceman

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 12, 2016, 07:44:45 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 12, 2016, 07:42:06 PM
What law is that?
my apologies - no law - a conversation, a vote.
Perhaps you will address some of my points now that you've shown everyone how smart you are
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

screenexile

Any thoughts on the young lady convicted of abortion in NI??

There was bloody murder in the US when Trump suggested women should be punished for having an abortion. . . I'm not seeing such an outcry about it over here although had she been given a custodial sentence I think the place would have went apeshit!!!

imtommygunn

There have been calls that the sentence was too lenient by some of those abortion groups...

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: screenexile on April 06, 2016, 07:56:41 PM

There was bloody murder in the US when Trump suggested women should be punished for having an abortion. . . I'm not seeing such an outcry about it over here although had she been given a custodial sentence I think the place would have went apeshit!!!

It amounts to criminalising a young girl because she was poor. Had she the money she'd have been across the water had it done and no one would be any the wiser. And don't get me started on that psycho Bernie Smyth. Whatever cause she thinks she is progressing she is doing it no favours at all.

armaghniac

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 06, 2016, 08:33:52 PM
It amounts to criminalising a young girl because she was poor. Had she the money she'd have been across the water had it done and no one would be any the wiser. And don't get me started on that psycho Bernie Smyth. Whatever cause she thinks she is progressing she is doing it no favours at all.

Complete nonsense. She committed a criminal offence and got a criminal sentence. Nothing to do with being poor. It is complete bollix to claim that people should be allowed break the law in one place because in some other place in the world that activity is not against the law.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: armaghniac on April 06, 2016, 09:07:54 PM

Complete nonsense. She committed a criminal offence and got a criminal sentence. Nothing to do with being poor. It is complete bollix to claim that people should be allowed break the law in one place because in some other place in the world that activity is not against the law.

Criminal because of a 150 year old law. Hardly the foundation for good law.

armaghniac

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 06, 2016, 09:33:05 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 06, 2016, 09:07:54 PM

Criminal because of a 150 year old law. Hardly the foundation for good law.

The case for abortion is one thing. But these arguments about the cost of travelling, the age of the law and so forth are ridiculous. Killing people , of which abortion is a variation, has been prohibited for a very long time, but this is not necessarily a reason to permit it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: screenexile on April 06, 2016, 07:56:41 PM
I think it shows that making it illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

bennydorano

Is this not the type of situation  that the Marie Stopes organisation caters for? Is there still one in Belfast or was it burned out or something?

screenexile

Quote from: bennydorano on April 06, 2016, 11:28:34 PM
Is this not the type of situation  that the Marie Stopes organisation caters for? Is there still one in Belfast or was it burned out or something?

Nope it's still there despite the nutters trying to shut it down.

Believe it or not abortion is allowed under anI law but only under very strict parameters . . .

QuoteTo preserve the life of the mother.

If the continuance of the pregnancy threatens the life of the mother, or would adversely affect her mental or physical health. In most cases, the risk of the adverse effect occurring would need to be a probability, but a possibility might be regarded as sufficient if the imminent death of the mother was the potential adverse effect.

Along with the above abortion in this case can only be carried out up to 9 weeks. Anything after that you have to go across the water or else it's illegal!

My issue with the whole thing is that the Unionists want to be part of the UK but don't want to accept their law on abortion??? If NI is part of the UK then surely it should have the same laws??