Limerick

Started by Dougal Maguire, November 01, 2012, 01:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Just back home after spending  a couple of nights away in Killarney, at the Horslips gig, and then a couple in Limerick. The wife and I had never stayed in Limerick before and I have to say we were quite taken by the place. As well as the usual sight seeing - St John's Castle, St John's Cathedral etc. we also did a number of pubs and the people we met were extremely friendly. Managed to get to - The Glen Tavern, Portley's, Patsy Nicholas, Nancy Blake's, Peter Clohessy's ,Timmy Martin's,, Tom and Gerry's, Charlie Chaplin's, O'Connells Mickey Martin's  and  The Moose.  Will definitely go back.
Careful now

supersarsfields

There once was a man from the sticks
Who liked to compose limericks.
But he failed at the sport,
For he wrote 'em too short.

5 Sams

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 01, 2012, 01:29:10 PM
Just back home after spending  a couple of nights away in Killarney, at the Horslips gig, and then a couple in Limerick. The wife and I had never stayed in Limerick before and I have to say we were quite taken by the place. As well as the usual sight seeing - St John's Castle, St John's Cathedral etc. we also did a number of pubs and the people we met were extremely friendly. Managed to get to - The Glen Tavern, Portley's, Patsy Nicholas, Nancy Blake's, Peter Clohessy's ,Timmy Martin's,, Tom and Gerry's, Charlie Chaplin's, O'Connells Mickey Martin's  and  The Moose.  Will definitely go back.

I'm surprised you remember anything about it Dougal after raking round all them pubs ???
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

Limerick is a top spot. Great people. Great pubs too.

ardchieftain

Was in Limerick myself at the weekend. I have to agree, it's a dead on spot, even though i was only in the one bar for the whole day. Cheap drinks, decent food and friendly people. Is it still known as stab city? When i first went there, about a dozen years back, i have to admit i was apprehensive due to the stories[ exaggerated, no doubt].

Hardy

It was only known as stab city by a coterie of Dublin 4 t**sers in the media.

There is a big organised crime problem, with two gangs of psychopaths intent on wiping each other out but, apart from the unfortunates who have to share a housing estate with them and those caught in the crossfire, they don't impinge on the lives of the majority of citizens at all. What I mean is that you can walk the streets of the city as freely as you would those of any other place in the country.

deiseach

Nice to see someone have a positive experience and be willing to say it.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on November 01, 2012, 03:12:35 PM
It was only known as stab city by a coterie of Dublin 4 t**sers in the media.

There is a big organised crime problem, with two gangs of psychopaths intent on wiping each other out but, apart from the unfortunates who have to share a housing estate with them and those caught in the crossfire, they don't impinge on the lives of the majority of citizens at all. What I mean is that you can walk the streets of the city as freely as you would those of any other place in the country.

Limerick is suffering, Hardy. The city centre is far less busy than Galway's for example. There would be more empty shops than in Cork or Galway. Business has drifted out to the Crescent SC according to someone I was talking to the last time I was there. Limerick is last when it comes to new Foreign Direct investment.

Vincent Browne from a while ago 

http://politico.ie/component/content/article/7554.html

" In 2000/01 the rate of both income poverty and consistent poverty in Limerick city was 50 per cent above the national average. Since 2002 Limerick city has ranked as the second most disadvantaged in socio-economic terms of the country's 34 local authority areas.
In 2006 one of the electoral divisions in the city was the most disadvantaged of the country's 3,400 electoral districts (this and the other socio-economic statistics used here are taken from an essay in the book by Des McCafferty).
Limerick is the most socially segregated of four cities studied (the others being Galway, Waterford and Cork). The degree of segregation is highest for the groups at either end of the social spectrum – the professional social class at one end, and unskilled workers at the other end.
Limerick has the highest proportion of social housing in the State, 42 per cent of all houses are social housing units."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0629/1224318966467.html

"SEVEN OF the State's top 10 unemployment blackspots are in Limerick city with joblessness reaching almost 57 per cent in one area, latest figures from the April 2011 census indicate."

So it is safe to walk around and the place has great energy and a lot of strengths  but the city has some serious problems to deal with.

AZOffaly

I think there is a change in Limerick in that the city centre is moving away from shopping, apart from O'Connell Street area, and the shops are moving out to Childers Road and other areas. (The Crescent has not grown in 10 years I'd say, it was always there). The Childers Road and to a lesser extent Jetlands and Coonagh Shopping Areas on the Ennis Road have taken a lot things out of town.

However, the city centre is trying to evolve into a more pedestrian, small shops and restaurants, bars and coffee shops type of thing. And it is working to a certain extent. There are some really nice places to go for a meal in Limerick now, and there are some great pubs.

Limerick was always better than it was made out to be, but since the 90s, it has come on even more. Munster Rugby shouldn't be underestimated either in what it has meant to the city and it's reputation with visitors.

armaghniac

QuoteMunster Rugby shouldn't be underestimated either in what it has meant to the city and it's reputation with visitors.

Presumably many come to see rugby without great expectations and like Dougal Maguire leave with a better impression.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 01, 2012, 03:57:27 PM
I think there is a change in Limerick in that the city centre is moving away from shopping, apart from O'Connell Street area, and the shops are moving out to Childers Road and other areas. (The Crescent has not grown in 10 years I'd say, it was always there). The Childers Road and to a lesser extent Jetlands and Coonagh Shopping Areas on the Ennis Road have taken a lot things out of town.

However, the city centre is trying to evolve into a more pedestrian, small shops and restaurants, bars and coffee shops type of thing. And it is working to a certain extent. There are some really nice places to go for a meal in Limerick now, and there are some great pubs.

Limerick was always better than it was made out to be, but since the 90s, it has come on even more. Munster Rugby shouldn't be underestimated either in what it has meant to the city and it's reputation with visitors.

There was a good bit of money spent doing up the area around the castle but when I was there during the summer all the units were shut down. 

AZOffaly

The Island is all about the castle really. That would never have been a 'shopping' area to be honest. As I said, the general 'wish', as I hesitate to call it a plan :D, is to have the city centre be a sort of European flavour. Small, boutique type shops, interspersed with lots of restaurants and pubs, taking advantage of the natural benefits of the Castle, and the mighty Shannon flowing through the middle. One of the loftier plans was to 'turn the city to face the river'.

As regards real heavy duty shopping, there are still Arthurs Quay and Cruises Street, together with the department stores on O'Connell Street like Brown Thomas and Debenhams, the biggest and best Dunnes, Tesco's, Smyths Toys, Argos, Nexts etc etc are all out in those American Style Strip Mall areas in Childers Road and Jetlands and Coonagh.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 01, 2012, 04:54:08 PM
The Island is all about the castle really. That would never have been a 'shopping' area to be honest. As I said, the general 'wish', as I hesitate to call it a plan :D, is to have the city centre be a sort of European flavour. Small, boutique type shops, interspersed with lots of restaurants and pubs, taking advantage of the natural benefits of the Castle, and the mighty Shannon flowing through the middle. One of the loftier plans was to 'turn the city to face the river'.

As regards real heavy duty shopping, there are still Arthurs Quay and Cruises Street, together with the department stores on O'Connell Street like Brown Thomas and Debenhams, the biggest and best Dunnes, Tesco's, Smyths Toys, Argos, Nexts etc etc are all out in those American Style Strip Mall areas in Childers Road and Jetlands and Coonagh.
There was a pub but there must not have been enough business to keep it open. It's a pity because it looks like they made a real effort.

Canalman

Limerick is a top spot. People there are very friendly and a great city to go out in. Truth be told I don't know anyone I know who has ever had a bad word to say about the place. Has a bit of charm about it as well.
Imo a far  far nicer place than that head up its own posterior overrated city some 40/50 miles northwards.

Maguire01

Stayed in Limerick once, about 4/5 years ago. My lasting impression is that it was run down and dirty - that was the city centre. I'd be in no rush back.