Limerick

Started by Dougal Maguire, November 01, 2012, 01:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 01, 2012, 02:37:10 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 01, 2012, 01:29:10 PM
Just back home after spending  a couple of nights away in Killarney, at the Horslips gig, and then a couple in Limerick. The wife and I had never stayed in Limerick before and I have to say we were quite taken by the place. As well as the usual sight seeing - St John's Castle, St John's Cathedral etc. we also did a number of pubs and the people we met were extremely friendly. Managed to get to - The Glen Tavern, Portley's, Patsy Nicholas, Nancy Blake's, Peter Clohessy's ,Timmy Martin's,, Tom and Gerry's, Charlie Chaplin's, O'Connells Mickey Martin's  and  The Moose.  Will definitely go back.

I'm surprised you remember anything about it Dougal after raking round all them pubs ???

Just a pint or two at most in each one spread over 2 days. Heineken is the big drink down there and they are obviously putting big resources into the pubs through the Munster Rugby thing. We noticed the same in Galway back in February with Connacht Rugby
Careful now

stew

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 02, 2012, 01:04:27 PM
Stayed in Limerick once, about 4/5 years ago. My lasting impression is that it was run down and dirty - that was the city centre. I'd be in no rush back.

When we got married we toured the South for a month before emigrating, we were supposed to stay in Limerick for a night but ended up staying for four nights, cutting short our stay in Dingle.

I have to say I was very impressed with Limerick at the time, we has a great time there and the people were tremendous, as were the pubs, food etc.

We went back for our 20th anniversary and I have to say we had a ball, the people are still great but the city center looked shoddy and the city is obviously hurting from the recession, that said we had a great time and I cant wait to go back there next year for the 25th anniversary.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Canalman on November 01, 2012, 05:25:02 PM
Limerick is a top spot. People there are very friendly and a great city to go out in. Truth be told I don't know anyone I know who has ever had a bad word to say about the place. Has a bit of charm about it as well.
Imo a far  far nicer place than that head up its own posterior overrated city some 40/50 miles northwards.

Ha. I was waiting on your usual dig at Galway. Could see that one coming a mile off.

You must have had a terrible experience in Galway because your alarm bell goes off every time the place is mentioned on here.

Canalman

Guilty as charged. Think the city (not the county) is overrated big time.

Went there for two separate weekends and not impressed with the place either time. In particular the second time was for a stag (all fuddy duddies like myself ) and got refused entry loads of places. Three of the lads got into one place and after buying a drink then got turfed out by a bouncer because they were "with a stag". All ended up earlyish in the night  back in the Radisson  hotel bar.

Personally prefer the non assuming places better and the in your face "Isn't Galway great?" just grates personally.
Don't even get to hear Irish spoken on the streets anymore  sadly which used to happen when on holidays there as a kid.

seafoid

Quote from: Canalman on November 02, 2012, 05:12:02 PM
Guilty as charged. Think the city (not the county) is overrated big time.

Went there for two separate weekends and not impressed with the place either time. In particular the second time was for a stag (all fuddy duddies like myself ) and got refused entry loads of places. Three of the lads got into one place and after buying a drink then got turfed out by a bouncer because they were "with a stag". All ended up earlyish in the night  back in the Radisson  hotel bar.

Personally prefer the non assuming places better and the in your face "Isn't Galway great?" just grates personally.
Don't even get to hear Irish spoken on the streets anymore  sadly which used to happen when on holidays there as a kid.
I alwys hear a bit of Gaeilge walking down Shop st. I think it's what makes Galway different. That and the schnackboxes.   

stew

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 02, 2012, 03:59:27 PM
Quote from: Canalman on November 01, 2012, 05:25:02 PM
Limerick is a top spot. People there are very friendly and a great city to go out in. Truth be told I don't know anyone I know who has ever had a bad word to say about the place. Has a bit of charm about it as well.
Imo a far  far nicer place than that head up its own posterior overrated city some 40/50 miles northwards.

Ha. I was waiting on your usual dig at Galway. Could see that one coming a mile off.

You must have had a terrible experience in Galway because your alarm bell goes off every time the place is mentioned on here.

Galway is a great city, full of life and vitality.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.