Rugby - what's the attraction?

Started by BennyCake, October 11, 2012, 12:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 21, 2014, 09:22:09 AM
It's a horseshit article by someone who is, I assume from the website it's on, a soccer man and can't abide the fact that the Irish (all Irish by the way) rugby team has overtaken the Irish soccer team in the consciousness of the general public.
I don't recall the country ever being bedecked in flags, bunting and inflatable plastic hammers for a rugby match.

AZOffaly

True the rugby bandwagon hasn't reached the levels the Irish soccer bandwagon reached yet. However my point is that today this guy feels pissed that the rugby team are getting more public 'love' than the soccer team. And slating the attention rugby is getting is hypocritical unless he also slates the bandwagon element of soccer.

BennyCake

Realistically Ireland won't be winning the Euros or World Cup. Having said that, the soccer team has won the same amount of competitions that the rugby team has this last 30 years.

Sidney

Those who pointed out that the Celtic Tiger was a sham were told to "go and commit suicide" by Bertie Ahern.

Garda whistleblowers Maurice McCabe and John Wilson were called "disgusting" by Martin Callinan.

We who blow the whistle on this rugby sham have suffered in our personal lives. We have been vilified by the unthinking herd.

We must retain our integrity. We must continue to speak out and expose the truth.

Sidney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 21, 2014, 11:35:11 AM
True the rugby bandwagon hasn't reached the levels the Irish soccer bandwagon reached yet. However my point is that today this guy feels pissed that the rugby team are getting more public 'love' than the soccer team. And slating the attention rugby is getting is hypocritical unless he also slates the bandwagon element of soccer.
Association football is a sport, requiring actual skill. Rugby union football requires no skill, and therefore is not a sport.

deiseach

Quote from: Sidney on March 21, 2014, 11:46:04 AM
Those who pointed out that the Celtic Tiger was a sham were told to "go and commit suicide" by Bertie Ahern.

Garda whistleblowers Maurice McCabe and John Wilson were called "disgusting" by Martin Callinan.

We who blow the whistle on this rugby sham have suffered in our personal lives. We have been vilified by the unthinking herd.

We must retain our integrity. We must continue to speak out and expose the truth.

There's a breach of Godwin's Law in there somewhere...

laoislad

If the soccer team had of been part of a tournament that had only 5 teams in it for the majority of it's existence I'm sure they won have won it a few times as well.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

screenexile

Quote from: Sidney on March 21, 2014, 11:48:58 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 21, 2014, 11:35:11 AM
Association football is a sport, requiring actual skill. Rugby union football requires no skill, and therefore is not a sport.

What a load of nonsense!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN4Lyx7zYLs

Just because it's a different game doesn't mean there is any less skill involved!!

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on March 21, 2014, 11:51:48 AM
If the soccer team had of been part of a tournament that had only 5 teams in it for the majority of it's existence I'm sure they won have won it a few times as well.

I hate agreeing with you LL, but...

laoislad

Quote from: BennyCake on March 21, 2014, 11:55:51 AM

I hate agreeing with you LL, but...
I hate that you agree with me.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Sidney

Quote from: screenexile on March 21, 2014, 11:55:05 AM

Just because it's a different game doesn't mean there is any less skill involved!!
Pushing and lying on the ground in a heap are not skills.

AZOffaly

I agree with you too, but is that really the point? the rugby team is successful now. Irish people (and all people really) love a good bandwagon, so rugby is the sport du jour. If Ireland get going in soccer again, the papers will be full of Olé Olés before you know it.

Sidney

The key to coming across as being knowledgeable about rugby depends on the amount of jargon you can throw into conversations. I hereby give you, the reader, a crash ball course in fluent rogbish for those awkward water cooler moments. Despite the following being a load of utter gibberish, you'll come across as an expert - because none of the so called "rugby fans" you'll be talking to have a clue abut the game.

Ireland's win was a result of all the work they've done on the training paddock. In a tactic that was referenced by POC at the traditional Captain's Run on Friday, their choke tackles and can openers created space for the jackals to run through. They were also dominant at the breakdown and set pieces. Our groundhogs worked hard to forage and recycle and avoided being pinged for their hoovering, refused to give up cheap yards, and used the pick and go and truck and trailor with success. They also got the bind very effectively at scrum time which enabled Conor Murray to use his lovely soft hands to make a pop pass to the broken field runners or to Jonny Sexton who was sitting in the pocket. Jonny's game has really benefitted since he pitched up in the Top Quatorze. It's just as well Ireland won as the sword of Damocles would have been out for Joe Schmidt if they'd lost.

deiseach

The same could be said of the provincial hurling championships.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Sidney on March 21, 2014, 11:57:34 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 21, 2014, 11:55:05 AM

Pushing and lying on the ground in a heap are not skills.

Whereas diving to the ground and rolling about as if you've been shot is considered a skill in soccer.