Tír Eoghain vs Ciarraí

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 26, 2007, 07:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 01, 2007, 03:36:34 PM
Fear and Srath Ban

Do you approve of the tactics and the style of football being employed last night?????

Just cause I have the opinion that football should be about kicking and catching and trying to beat the opposition by scoring more and playing better football maybe I am a romantic but surely it is harder to do that then to just create really fit players who are more interested in fouling and defending than trying to play football?

Ideally DUBSFORSAM1, of course I would have preferred more attractive fare, and the 2nd half in particular wasn't pretty.  But, needs must, i.e., when embroiled in a dogfight like that a team will do its best to maximise whatever advantage they hold. Yes, our midfield struggled badly, but this pairing was probably our 4th choice, so it's hardly surprising that they won't shine against someone of Dara Ó'Sé's calibre. 

Overall, I'm happy that we showed enough bottle for that battle, which is a major improvement on our recent form, and yes, given the choice, I'll take that 1 point as opposed to attempting to play purer football and losing.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

DUBSFORSAM1

Fear an Srath Ban

But surely I don't see how someone can advocate being happy with deliberate cynical fouling, no attempt to actually kick the ball etc...you can show a hunger for battle without resorting to cynical play...or running to the ref demanding cards or throwing yourself to the ground theatrically looking for frees/cards...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 01, 2007, 03:53:24 PM
Fear an Srath Ban

But surely I don't see how someone can advocate being happy with deliberate cynical fouling, no attempt to actually kick the ball etc...you can show a hunger for battle without resorting to cynical play...or running to the ref demanding cards or throwing yourself to the ground theatrically looking for frees/cards...

No, I wouldn't advocate that DUBSFORSAM1, but I think we were more sinned against than sinners last night (going by the card count, for example), though not saying we were without sin either, but I probably didn't see quite the amount of cynicism that you did.

INDIANA

Dangerous enough game to be writing off Armagh as well.

with a diffrent manager maybe- joe is there far too long.

magickingdom

so tyrone are not dead and buried after all.... didnt think it was that bad a game, it was definately tense and exiting to the end. one of the biggest crowds i'd seen in tralee for a long time (perfect night for it). thought daragh o se was immense with paul galvin looking good when he came on.... roll on the summer

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: magickingdom on April 01, 2007, 05:55:25 PM
so tyrone are not dead and buried after all.... didnt think it was that bad a game, it was definately tense and exiting to the end. one of the biggest crowds i'd seen in tralee for a long time (perfect night for it). thought daragh o se was immense with paul galvin looking good when he came on.... roll on the summer

Indeed magickingdom, Dara Ó'Sé was immense, if his distribution was somewhat suspect. But, Galvin is potentially becoming more and more of a liability for you -- he would do better to contain the fire I'd say.

ONeill

First things first - Eugene McGee is a complete arse. He remarkably misread the game in terms of intensity and quality - especially that first half.

Tyrone showed a marked improvement in that first half. Their passing was crisp and in Mulligan, McCullagh and Gormley they had plenty of movement/options. Mulgrew was probing a la McGuigan and some of his deliveries were sublime. Gormley and McMahon hit wonderful points. Defensively they were nearing their best. Quill was the main threat and Gourley suffered although not many will get the better of Quill at the minute. After a shaky start, McMenamin neutralised any threat MFR had. Donnelly had a couple of scary moments though but he's a tough competitor. Harte and Justin McMahon showed some of their best at times. Mellon and McMahon in the middle seemed to accept they wouldn't outfield Dara and just decided to punch for Penrose and Dooher to collect. In all honesty is was the best policy because on the odd occasion they did attempt to field the ball, Dara bettered.

Tyrone hit 0-8 in the first half and for this time of the year, down in Kerry, with most of those scores from play, it represented a fine half from the Red Hands. Most of Kerry's points seemed to come from frees, results from indiscipline in the Tyrone defence, especially from Gourley and Gormley.

Kerry came out in the second half with one objective in mind - up the physical stakes. Kerry are not a dirty team but they know when they're losing a football match. Kidney punches, elbows, 3rd man tackles, we saw the lot from Kerry, mostly unpunished. The circus act from the referee when McMahon was kicked in the chest doesn't deserve mention it was that farcical. To Tyrone's credit, unlike the Dublin match in Omagh last year, they didn't respond although frustration at the referee's inability to show red did raise its head once or twice with the repeatedly fouled Dooher. Kerry cutely dragged Tyrone into a slamming match and the spectacle suffered. It almost worked for them, although they were lucky to get away with a draw when the ref blew for a challenge off the ball when Tyrone were virtually guaranteed the winning score.

For Tyrone it was heartening to see Mulligan's performance in the first half. He has still a bit to go but that was promising. He was badly out of puff in the second. Penrose covered some ground in the first half, scored a lovely point and was my man of the half. Gormley continues to impressive with some beauties at full tilt. Donnelly? Didn't see enough of him as almost all balls were going through Quill. McCaul who came on for Gourley found him tough going as well. Colm Cavanagh was impressive for the short time he was on the pitch.

For Kerry, Dara and Tomas were superb. We had a trademark Tomas O'Se run in the first half, soloing from both feet half the length of the pitch. (was an easy free though). Quill and Cooper will form some double act either side of Donaghy.

Worryingly, many of the Kerry players looked overweight. Worrying from a non-Kerry perspective that is. They'll get better!

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

INDIANA

"Kerry came out in the second half with one objective in mind - up the physical stakes. Kerry are not a dirty team but they know when they're losing a football match. Kidney punches, elbows, 3rd man tackles, we saw the lot from Kerry, mostly unpunished. The circus act from the referee when McMahon was kicked in the chest doesn't deserve mention it was that farcical. To Tyrone's credit, unlike the Dublin match in Omagh last year, they didn't respond although frustration at the referee's inability to show red did raise its head once or twice with the repeatedly fouled Dooher. Kerry cutely dragged Tyrone into a slamming match and the spectacle suffered. It almost worked for them, although they were lucky to get away with a draw when the ref blew for a challenge off the ball when Tyrone were virtually guaranteed the winning score. "

bit rich coming froma tyrone fan- some of the more cynical of us could just simply say - they've learnt a few lessons playing ulster opposition since 2002

Mr. Nakata

I enjoyed this game. Excellent first half. Hard hitting fayre. Setanta commentator awful. It got a bit niggly later in the game, but I thought it was exciting right to the death. Penrose picked the ball clean off the ground twice early on and I was hurling all kinds of abuse at him, which clearly had the desired effect as he really warmed to the task, seeing alot of ball and scoring a peach from McMahon's quality pass. Some guys at the other end of the bar thought Joey had a nightmare. I thought he was brilliant in the first half. Gourley was roasted. Our defenders continued to give away silly frees throughout which were punished by an excellent, overweight, dead ball kicker.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI missed a bit of it but i think Mulligan, Penrose, Gormley and Mulgrew are fairly dangerous,
Kerry are getting dirty by the sounds of it, yellow cards Gallore.
Is Mikey Sheehy around i wonder, kerry don't seem to be interested in playing football at all!
"Kerry are swarming now" and thats on Kerry radio, tut tut

Go on, admit it, depite beating us in recent years it kills you lads that we are still perceived as the golden boys whereas you have never really been given the credit you feel you deserve.

Even when we lose, we win !  Brilliant.

Tyrones own

"Go on, admit it, depite beating us in recent years it kills you lads that we are still perceived as the golden boys whereas you have never really been given the credit you feel you deserve."

Yerra i should meet you for a pint sometime Mikey, you're some craic :D
Oh and one other thing, ye didn't lose it was a draw. maybe over that pint i'll explain how
the scoring system works in Gaelic football. ;)

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

supersarsfields

But surely I don't see how someone can advocate being happy with deliberate cynical fouling, no attempt to actually kick the ball etc...

No harm DFS this "cynical fouling happens in most games I see now. But you've always had a wee bee in your bonnet when it comes to Tyrone and always feel the need to draw attention to their Fouls and style of play. And just because you like a basketball type of football with constant long kick passes in on top of players doesn't mean everyone does. 
just create really fit players who are more interested in fouling and defending than trying to play football?

So now Tyrone are at fault for having fit players??? God you couldn't make it up!!

Over the Bar

I note that Dubs4Sam has been unusually quiet re: the disgraceful actions of the dublin fans in Mayo.   :-\

dubnut

Quote from: Over the Bar on April 02, 2007, 12:02:26 PM
I not that Dubs4Sam has been unusually quiet re: the disgraceful actions of the dublin fans in Mayo.

The opposite could be said for yourself Over the Bar  ::)

Why not come over to the Dublin / Mayo thread to discuss rather than waste the Tyrone v Kerrys guys space?

blanketattack

Quote from: Over the Bar on April 01, 2007, 01:15:02 PM
Another subtle early-season psychological master-stroke by Mickey.  Sends out the cubs to show Kerry that we easily have the measure of them in their own back yard without getting out of 2nd gear.   O'Shea will be scratching his head wondering how his boys will stay in touch with a Tyrone team that has 4 of the best footballers in Ireland still to some back into the ranks.

Harte will be scratching his monobrow wondering how his team will have any chance against a team with 5 first choice starting forwards to come into the side. The silver lining to Kieran Donaghy's injury is that Tyrone still haven't got a bit of experience in learning how to cope with him. Hopefully they'll learn the hard way.