Tír Eoghain vs Ciarraí

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 26, 2007, 07:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: supersarsfields on April 02, 2007, 09:28:55 AM
But surely I don't see how someone can advocate being happy with deliberate cynical fouling, no attempt to actually kick the ball etc...

No harm DFS this "cynical fouling happens in most games I see now. But you've always had a wee bee in your bonnet when it comes to Tyrone and always feel the need to draw attention to their Fouls and style of play. And just because you like a basketball type of football with constant long kick passes in on top of players doesn't mean everyone does. 
just create really fit players who are more interested in fouling and defending than trying to play football?

So now Tyrone are at fault for having fit players??? God you couldn't make it up!!

Supersarsfields - just because the cynical fouling happens in most games doesn't mean its right or should be acceptable - there was practically none in the Dublin Mayo game for example....and yes I did say that Keaney's 2nd yellow card was deserved and have said on more than one occasion I don't like it when Dublin do it either....if you also read what I said I made no mention of Tyrone specifically apart from Doohers running to the ref looking for a card....are you saying that that is acceptable behaviour?????

The game is called GAELIC FOOTBALL - is the main aim should be to kick the ball and as for calling a kicking style basketball is hilarious....

I didn't have a problem with fit players - I have a problem with players being picked who can't kick a ball properly or catch it properly but can run for 70 mins and handpass and foul.....

Maybe I am a romantic but I certainly believe Gaelic Football would be far better off if there was more emphasis on skill, scoring, attacking football rather than taking the easy way out and concentrating on stopping the opposition at all costs....

Fear ón Srath Bán

Here you go DUBSFORSAM1, something to get you really going: an extract from a Mickey Harte interview just after the game (in today's Irish Times):

Tyrone boss Mickey Harte was happier with his team's display. "I have to say that we hit the ground running as playing Kerry is difficult at any time. I would have to say that it was probably our best league display to date, but we left it slip in the second half. The draw suits us less than Kerry because we have an inferior points difference, but I was proud of the lads.

"Kerry had a few chances that hit the bar, so it could have gone either way. The second half was a war of attrition and the crowd seemed to love it. There is nothing wrong with football and that was a great advertisment for the game."

I can feel the righteous indignation on the rise from here!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 02, 2007, 01:33:39 PM
if you also read what I said I made no mention of Tyrone specifically apart from Doohers running to the ref looking for a card....are you saying that that is acceptable behaviour?????

The game is called GAELIC FOOTBALL - is the main aim should be to kick the ball and as for calling a kicking style basketball is hilarious....
Maybe I am a romantic but I certainly believe Gaelic Football would be far better off if there was more emphasis on skill, scoring, attacking football rather than taking the easy way out and concentrating on stopping the opposition at all costs....

Like I said on the Dublin - Mayo thread my friend you had a go at Kerry and Tyrone for managing only 18 points between them yet made no mention of the fact that Dublin and Mayo only managed a point more :D You also said it was poor there were only 4 points in the second half buts that 4 more than the Dubs managed in the second period in Mayo ;) Total hypocrisy.

As for believing the game would be better off "if there was more emphasis on skill, scoring, attacking football rather than taking the easy way out and concentrating on stopping the opposition at all costs" go and watch the two Tyrone Dublin games from 2005 where Tyrone ran up 3-32 over the 2 games doing just that.

And the idea that there is only one true form of Gaelic Football (ie nothing but long punts and catches) is clearly nonsensical.

DUBSFORSAM1

As for believing the game would be better off "if there was more emphasis on skill, scoring, attacking football rather than taking the easy way out and concentrating on stopping the opposition at all costs" go and watch the two Tyrone Dublin games from 2005 where Tyrone ran up 3-32 over the 2 games doing just that.

And the idea that there is only one true form of Gaelic Football (ie nothing but long punts and catches) is clearly nonsensical.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I was at both of them Tyrone games and said they were exceptional games of football.....thats why when it is seen that they can play such good football why do they have to resort to other methods instead of playing good football...

Well if Mickey Harte like off the ball kicking, punching, kneeing, 3rd man tackles, shirt pulling, diving and running to the ref demanding yellow cards like a soccer player well fair play to  him...he whinged when Dublin did the same in Omagh last year cause they lost....

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 02, 2007, 02:57:22 PM
Well if Mickey Harte like off the ball kicking, punching, kneeing, 3rd man tackles, shirt pulling, diving and running to the ref demanding yellow cards like a soccer player well fair play to  him...he whinged when Dublin did the same in Omagh last year cause they lost....

He was talking about the atmosphere in Austin Stack's DFS, and how the crowd appeared to revel in the fare, though I doubt very much that he viewed it as darkly as you are doing, and I have seen wildy variant reviews on that game. No one really can say for sure whether that glass was half-full or half-empty.

Sometimes, no matter how much we might wish things to be otherwise, we have no choice but to deal with what's in front of us.

supersarsfields

What the feck has the name got to do with it? Forgive for for thinking Gaelic football was about scoring points and defending well!! You like a long kicked game, I don't but each to their own that way.

Would you like to name the Tyrone players who are fit but cant kick a ball properly?? 

dublin can be as negative and cynical as any team. But you seem to have a real soft spot for Tyrone and needing to point out their faults all the time. I wonder why??

uptyrone

Maybe im wrong and I have missed it earlier but im suprised no one has mentioned O'Sullivans disgracefull kick to Ryan Mellons face/neck/chest area when they were involved in a tussle on the ground in the second half. The referee was running around like a headless chicken going back and forth between the umpires and linesmen and then eventually decided to talk to the wrong man.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteOh and one other thing, ye didn't lose it was a draw. maybe over that pint i'll explain how
the scoring system works in Gaelic football.

Thanks. I would appreciate that. In return I will patiently explain to you how "in recent years" doesn't include saturdays game.

I will, no doubt, have to buy the round as well given how stingy you lot are.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 02, 2007, 08:21:55 PM
QuoteOh and one other thing, ye didn't lose it was a draw. maybe over that pint i'll explain how
the scoring system works in Gaelic football.

Thanks. I would appreciate that. In return I will patiently explain to you how "in recent years" doesn't include saturdays game.

I will, no doubt, have to buy the round as well given how stingy you lot are.

I'll buy you one too just so as you don't have to dig too deep!  :)

tyroneman

TOS was well out of order and only for a complete bottler / bollix of a ref he would be serving a ban right now.

Still if he does get done on video I'm sure he can use the Gooch 'but I play for Kerry' defence and get off scott free.

tyroneboi

that o'sullivan character has always been a dirty fecker never liked him!! was a disgraceful act by a thug of a player. by rights he should be brought before the video disciplinary people - no doubt if it was ricey then he would have got his 3 month suspension this morning!

ClosetotheHarte

No harm DUBSFORSAM1, but the cynical approach Dublin took to Omagh for last year's League game was a lot worse than anything I've seen from Tyrone in recent years.
After a good enough 1st half, the 2nd half of Sat night's game wasn't pretty but the football we see at this time of the year is different to what we get in the summer.
BTW Galvin is turning out to be the most unlikeable Kerry player I can remember - and that kick on Mellon's face off the ball by another Kerry player was a nasty one. The ref was hilarious running around looking for the guilty party until he had to let it go.

DUBSFORSAM1

ClosetotheHarte

If you had read any of my posts after the Omagh game last year you would have seen I didn't condone it, you would also have seen that I supported players being banned for it and wasn't happy with the appeals being made...anyway the first punch in Omagh was thrown by a Tyrone player!!

I didn't just complain about Tyrone I also mentioned Kerrry incidents as well....same as I said in the Dublin Mayo match that while Keaney was unlucky Cahill could and probably should have gone....

Notice your not condemning Gormley dropping the knees into O'Sullivan on the ground...:-)

ClosetotheHarte

That's fair enough if you recognised Dublin's poor behaviour in Omagh last year at the time. Don't know about the first punch (and I agree Tyrone got stuck in too) but it was clear right from the start of that game what Dublin's intentions were. Tyrone stupidly got sucked into it and then had to share some of the blame.
I agree that the 2nd half of the Tyrone / Kerry game wasn't very good to watch and Gormley was wrong to stick his knee in. We'd all prefer to watch flowing football all the time but from as far back as I can remember games like Saturday night's occur every year, particularly during the League.
What annoys me most is how Tyrone are somehow blamed by so many people for cynical behaviour while others get a far easier time for the same, or worse, behaviour. Tyrone, along with Kerry, have produced some of the most brilliant attacking football there has been in this decade but people ignore that too often and choose to notice only their (Tyrone's) occasional misdeamours.
The Meath team of the 90's are still the masters of cynicism but the Kerry team of today are maybe starting to catch up! But sure just blame Armagh and Tyrone for introducing all this negative football in 02/03!
BTW I thought Keaney was a little unlucky to get sent off on Sunday!

DUBSFORSAM1

ClosetotheHarte

I am not saying that games like that don't occur but if they do I don't see why people are so afraid to accept critiscism about them - I would critiscise Dublin if they did the same...(An article in one of the papers last weekend said that what cost them last year against Mayo was a refusal to drag Mayo defenders down to stop them attacking at speed and to not defend in depth themselves)...as much as I want Dublin to win I would sooner they won playing well than playing badly...

With Tyrone it seems that they choose to play good football occasionaly but are happier in big games not to......I think they would be far better if they concentrated on the football cause they have the players to do it...

With the Meath team though while they were cynical and tough/rough they didn't "dive" or collapse in a heap or ask the ref to book players....no matter who you are or what team you play for I find that totally unacceptable.......and there are more than enough Ulster fans who would say Tyrone dive so its not just us Mexicans... ;D