Tír Eoghain vs Ciarraí

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 26, 2007, 07:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 01, 2007, 01:06:02 AM

Running to the ref asking for cards - Dooher should be absolutely ashamed of himself for doing that - there is no call for that on a GAA pitch...

Donegal were doing a lot of that v Dublin this year too - first time I'd seen a team doing that en masse - so no surprise that its goina spead. The Ulster lads must watch more soccer than the rest of us...

INDIANA

familiarity breeds contempt DSFM- hard to disagree with you though - it was a shocker. Kerry should have won. Tyrone look like a team doing  far bit of heavy training at the moment- for their sakes that would want to be true- because they aren't playing well. i think Kerry are going all right- they are missing  afew plus the fact playing in the weakest province allows them to peak later.
They've found another forward in quill - have the best freetaker in the country and the best midfielder in the country like O Se- kerry will be there at the business end of things.
Tyrone badly need Mc Guigan back and O Neill. Mulgrew looks knackered after playing so much football To be fair though young gormley looks a find. I'm not seeing anything for other teams to be afraid of in relation to tyrone.

tyroneman

Missed the first half trying to find a pub in Lurgan that showed the match  >:(

What happened with SON and Hub - injured????

McCullogh will be in for some bollocking I would think...we could have stolen the game at the death

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2007, 10:10:21 AM
i think Kerry are going all right- they are missing  afew plus the fact playing in the weakest province allows them to peak later. Tyrone badly need Mc Guigan back and O Neill. Mulgrew looks knackered after playing so much football To be fair though young gormley looks a find. I'm not seeing anything for other teams to be afraid of in relation to tyrone.

Dont think things are anywhere near as negative for Tyrone as you suggest. A point in Tralee when we were missing the likes of Jordan, Cavanagh, McGinley, McGuigan and O' Neill is a decent enough result, even without a couple of their own key men Kerry would have been pretty hopeful of winning that game. Also leaves Tyrone in with every chance of at least securing a top 4 finish and Division 1 football next season which had to be the minimum target after the Donegal game.
Big improvement still required but with a number of men still to come back Tyrone will without doubt get better.

mylestheslasher

So which is the team that is supposed to be the experts in "puke" football ???. It is sad to see Kerry bring so many men behind the ball, especially after moaning about others doing it for so long.

glens73

Stalemate after a thriller

KERRY 0-9

TYRONE 0-9

MURT MURPHY

KERRY and Tyrone served up a thrilling encounter, as they strove to avoid the lower divisions next season, before a vociferous home crowd at the Austin Stack Park last evening. It was a game that was open in the first half, with Tyrone on top, but dour and over-physical in the second as the referee struggled to keep control.

The draw was probably the result neither manager wanted as it probably rules them out of the league semi-final. Kerry could have snatched victory late on though Tyrone deserved something.

Niall Gormley opened the scoring for Tyrone in the second minute. Tommy Griffin picked up an early yellow card after a harsh call for a foul on Mulligan and Daniel Bohane became the second Kerry player to be yellow carded as Declan Quill punched the equaliser in the 10th minute. Colm McCullagh and Raymond Mulgrew restored Tyrone's lead.

Bryan Sheehan closed the gap with a long range free, but Joe McMahon doubled Tyrone's lead to 0-4 to 0-2 midway through the first half. Darragh Ó Sé and Donnacha Walsh set up Scanlon whose punched effort hit the cross bar on the way over before Sheehan leveled in the 21st minute with another free.

Niall Gormley then scored his second point, but Quill leveled again from a free in the 25th minute.

Points from Gormley and McCullagh pushed Tyrone three points clear.

Darren O'Sullivan then replaced Tommy Griffin but Diarmuid Murphy had to produce a stunning save to deny Niall Gormley a certain goal, approaching half-time.

Bryan Sheehan closed the gap with a free but Mikey Harte was the happier manager at the interval as Tyrone enjoyed a 0-8 to 0-6 lead.

Paul Galvin replaced Walsh with Fitzmaurice moving to the edge of the square, as exchanges became tense with battles fought all over the pitch. Galvin became Kerry's sixth yellow card and the attrition continued as there was no score in the opening 19 minutes.

In the 55th minute Quill got the first score of the half and he leveled after a great Darragh Ó Sé pass with ten minutes remaining. Then came the score of the game as Marc Ó Sé surged up field and fired Kerry into the lead for the first time but Colm Cavanagh equalised again.

Colm McCullagh was red carded in the final seconds following an altercation with Galvin.

SCORERS - Kerry: D Quill 0-4 (0-1f), B Sheehan 0-3 (3f), M Ó Sé and S Scanlon 0-1. Tyrone: N Gormley 0-2, C McCullagh 0-2 (2f), Joe McMahon, M Penrose, R Mulgrew, C Kavanagh and E Mulligan 0-1.

Kerry: D Murphy, M Ó Sé, T O'Sullivan, P Reidy, T Ó Sé, A O'Mahony, D Bohane, D Ó Sé, T Griffin, B Sheehan, E Fitzmaurice, D Galvin, D Quill, S Scanlon, M F Russell. Subs: D O'Sullivan for T Griffin, P Galvin for D Walsh, S O'Sullivan for M F Russell, P O'Connor for M F Russell, M Lyons for P Reidy

Tyrone: P McConnell, R McMenamin, P Donnelly, C Gourley, D Harte, C Gormley, Justin McMahon, Joe McMahon, R Mellon, B Dooher, M Penrose, Ray Mulgrew, N Gormley, C McCullagh, E Mulligan. Subs: C Kavanagh for M Penrose, D McCaul for C Gourley, T McGuigan for E Mulligan, C Holmes for Joe McMahon

Referee: P McGovern (Galway)

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=37&si=1804643&issue_id=15447

Thriller, my ar5e, it was one of the worst games I've seen between two of the top teams in years.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Well that was an absolute abomination of a game

See that button on the bottom of your TV... that's an off button! Seriously, you really don't have to put yourself through such torture if you don't want to. I'm happy enough that we secured a point in Kerry at this time of the year, especially with so many absentees, though that's not to be confused with being happy with the performance.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tyrones own on April 01, 2007, 05:07:55 AM

Any idea what happened to O'Neill, is he injured?

He has the flu, apparently.

Bensars

Maybe not a great game, but i was was happy enough of tyrones performance. Build up play seems to be improving and was impressed with young Gormley from Trillick. In the final scheme of things this is another build up match to the championship. Tyrone kept Kerry to 4 points 47 minutes into the game and any team that does that isnt doing too bad. There are players to come back into the team, we all know that. Given Tyrones Hoodoo over Kerry and especially the manner of the victories in the championship over the last few years, it was totally expected that Kerry would perform in the manner that they did. This was a case of setting a marker for later in the year. All in all, ignoring the complexities of the final stage of the National league, i thought it was a satisfactory run out

Over the Bar

QuoteDirty rabbit punching by Galvin, Dropping a knee like Gormley into a player on the ground....
Jersey pulling off the ball, 3rd man tackles an inability to tackle properly.....

Unlike the knackers who pull on the arnotts jersey.....  ::)

Over the Bar

Another subtle early-season psychological master-stroke by Mickey.  Sends out the cubs to show Kerry that we easily have the measure of them in their own back yard without getting out of 2nd gear.   O'Shea will be scratching his head wondering how his boys will stay in touch with a Tyrone team that has 4 of the best footballers in Ireland still to some back into the ranks.

INDIANA

How does anyone know Mc Guigan will be anything like he was?- he's getting more surgery on the same leg- you're really assuming a lot there- because i think it will take him at least 12 months to get back.True cavanagh and jordan will be back and o neill- but mc mahon went off injured again last night. I don't think you're a strong as you were and i don't believe tyrone are that good that they can simply play well when they feel like it.
I do like the look of kerry i have to say- i think they'll be hard beaten this year. Other than that there isn't much between tyrone-dublin-mayo and donegal- i can't see armgah being in the shake up this year. one of the most open races in years.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2007, 01:21:08 PM
How does anyone know Mc Guigan will be anything like he was?

He did play at least one game before his most recent op and, apparently, he wasn't far off his usual self in every respect.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 01, 2007, 12:06:59 PM
Well that was an absolute abomination of a game

See that button on the bottom of your TV... that's an off button! Seriously, you really don't have to put yourself through such torture if you don't want to. I'm happy enough that we secured a point in Kerry at this time of the year, especially with so many absentees, though that's not to be confused with being happy with the performance.

Fear and Srath Ban

Do you approve of the tactics and the style of football being employed last night?????

Just cause I have the opinion that football should be about kicking and catching and trying to beat the opposition by scoring more and playing better football maybe I am a romantic but surely it is harder to do that then to just create really fit players who are more interested in fouling and defending than trying to play football?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2007, 01:21:08 PM
How does anyone know Mc Guigan will be anything like he was?- he's getting more surgery on the same leg- you're really assuming a lot there- because i think it will take him at least 12 months to get back.True cavanagh and jordan will be back and o neill- but mc mahon went off injured again last night. I don't think you're a strong as you were and i don't believe tyrone are that good that they can simply play well when they feel like it.

Who suggested Tyrone "can simply play well when they feel like it"? ??? Or that McGuigan is going to go straight in at no.11 and be the same player? Of course he will need time and there's no guarentee he will regain his own form but he is a determind character and if anyone can get over it he can, if Tyrone are still involved at the business end of the championship I wouldnt be surprised to see him back having an influence.
As for Tyrone "not being the team they were" well they were in a worse state in May 2005 than they currently are and indeed didnt convince at all in the early games of that championship either yet went on to play some outstanding football and win Sam. No point in reading too much into the way things are at the minute. A point in Tralee without several key players is an acceptable result. Need to now get something from the Mayo game to secure top 4 place then look to get through early championship games whilst bringing back injured players and look to gather some momentum.
Dangerous enough game to be writing off Armagh as well.