Jimmy's throwing hacks out!

Started by T Fearon, September 23, 2012, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Quote from: deiseach on September 24, 2012, 01:39:45 PM
Quote from: stephenite on September 24, 2012, 03:41:42 AM
An absolute disgrace. Siobhan Brady should be sacked on the spot.

I'm also really disappointed that any colleagues didn't walk out in protest - whatever about failed entities on here, professional journalists should show a bit more backbone.

The villains of this piece are definitely the hacks. I can understand Jimmy McGuinness, flush with a victory where he is getting more credit than most, trying to exact revenge on someone who angered him. And I can understand Siobhan Brady thinking when put on the spot that ejecting Delcan Bogue was the lesser of two evils. But professional journalists, constantly griping that their craft is being undermined by keyboard warriors who care nothing for the facts, should have stood up for one of their own. Shameful.

Professional journalists and keyboard warriors seemingly, hence McGuinness's stance

camanchero

quite often we give out about the dreadful standard of media pundit/commentator,but way worse are the hacks that dont seem to have a clue or care less about Gaelic games or certain counties/individuals. Plenty of these hacks dont even seem to know the effin rules either!

I'll read about GAA until the cows come home, but a lot of times I dont get papers etc that have sports coverage and others I will ignore because the coverage is rubbish from poor pseudo-journos.

the Games will go on and it is the Journo's that need the games not the other way around.
I'd prefer if they were more entertaining and used less cliches etc and maybe have more accurate facts before anyone praises the print media en masse.

deiseach

Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2012, 10:54:05 AM
"Hang on I'm trying to recollect your little line. 'He's in his inexorable slide toward irrelevance.' Is that what you said? I've got the paper at home. I can show it to you if you don't believe me." – Darren Clarke to Lawrence Donegan after his Open Championship win.

Strictly speaking, Lawrence Donegan was right. Winning the British Open has only accelerated Darren's slide. He can't be bothered anymore, and I can't say I blame him

Absent

Quote from: johnneycool on September 24, 2012, 12:10:59 PM
Quote from: Absent on September 24, 2012, 11:48:42 AM
I wish we had a Jim McGuinness in Limerick to lead our hurlers to the promised land with his single minded determination and belief in his system.
The media is an industry that feeds on the ups and downs of whats happening and can portray you in whatever manner it likes,I don't know what was said about McGuinness but it seems to have bolstered his siege mentality and driven him on even more resulting in the glory of yesterday.Kevin Cassidy might have an AI medal this morning if he bought in 100% to Jims philosophy of us against the world and absolutely everything remaining within the camp.
He could have gone along with the whole media thing but it appears that is not the man,thats a part of him that makes him stand out,makes him a winner.Without him Donegal would not have their second AI and that is the only thing that matters in Donegal today.We cannot be selective in the parts of him we accept,its the whole package or nothing and thats what he offers his players and the people of Donegal.
If he chose to do what he did during the press conference he was right because that is the man,some will be upset but if you want to attain the holy grail of AI success you are not going to be dominated by thoughts of who you should please along the way.

God the father, the son and the holy spirit themselves couldn't get everyone in Limerick hurling to agree on the time of day, let alone a team selection Absent.

Too true sadly,that is partly why we have only 73 to celebrate since 1940 when we won senior and minor.

Up The Middle

I think Jim was just right, it was Donegals and his day yesterday, if he was uncomfortable with someone being there then why should he continue (as a lot of you point out he is not a professional sports coach so he has no reason to).

Didnt half of the intercounty managers refuse to speak to RTE cause some guy didnt get a commentating job, now this too me was a lot more serious, since when did the inner workings of a broadcaster have anything to do with county managers
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Declan

Quotebut there are plenty of 'poacher turned gamekeepers' out there and in every clubs coaching/management staff !

There sure are ;) ;)

Sidney

Quote from: J OGorman on September 24, 2012, 01:39:33 PM

'untruths' was the word McGuinness used, more diplomatic than saying lies. If he believes Bogue was telling lies, be it about McGuinness himself, his players, his setup, preparation, whatever,  then he has every right to not entertain him. Fair fcuks, i would have done the same

Exactly what "untuths" was Bogue telling? Or are you too diplomatic to imply you think it was Cassidy telling the "untruths"?

And if so, exactly what untruths were these?

Sidney

Quote from: Up The Middle on September 24, 2012, 02:12:34 PM
I think Jim was just right, it was Donegals and his day yesterday, if he was uncomfortable with someone being there then why should he continue (as a lot of you point out he is not a professional sports coach so he has no reason to).

Didnt half of the intercounty managers refuse to speak to RTE cause some guy didnt get a commentating job, now this too me was a lot more serious, since when did the inner workings of a broadcaster have anything to do with county managers
Indeed. And Mickey Harte and others were completely wrong in that stance.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: stephenite on September 24, 2012, 03:41:42 AM
An absolute disgrace. Siobhan Brady should be sacked on the spot.

I'm also really disappointed that any colleagues didn't walk out in protest - whatever about failed entities on here, professional journalists should show a bit more backbone.

The villains of this piece are definitely the hacks. I can understand Jimmy McGuinness, flush with a victory where he is getting more credit than most, trying to exact revenge on someone who angered him. And I can understand Siobhan Brady thinking when put on the spot that ejecting Delcan Bogue was the lesser of two evils. But professional journalists, constantly griping that their craft is being undermined by keyboard warriors who care nothing for the facts, should have stood up for one of their own. Shameful.

I'm in complete agreement with you.
I can understand that McGuinness feels upset by what Bogue had to write about him but this was not the time or place to express his annoyance.
But I don't think he had the right to set the agenda for the press conference. 
Any journalist worth his expenses shouldn't have agreed to go ahead with the interview when one of their colleagues was asked to leave the room.
Come to think of it, Bogue should have refused to leave as he was there as an accredited representative from the Belfast Telegraph.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

J OGorman

Quote from: Sidney on September 24, 2012, 02:14:29 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on September 24, 2012, 01:39:33 PM

'untruths' was the word McGuinness used, more diplomatic than saying lies. If he believes Bogue was telling lies, be it about McGuinness himself, his players, his setup, preparation, whatever,  then he has every right to not entertain him. Fair fcuks, i would have done the same

Exactly what "untuths" was Bogue telling? Or are you too diplomatic to imply you think it was Cassidy telling the "untruths"?

And if so, exactly what untruths were these?

McGuinness's words, not mine, hence the quotation marks.

Any craic

There's nothing like siege mentality to get a manager going. Them and us. We'll show them. Alex Ferguson has done it for years & Joe Kernan was the same, they both took their issues with pundits and journalists to extremes, often too far, and Mickey Harte has had an ongoing dispute with RTE. The mentality works to an extent to bond teams with their manager but after a while it becomes a bit tired, the players don't all buy into it because they've seen it all before and it doesn't really matter what happens off the pitch, but they let the manager do his thing. I'd say some of the Donegal lads are a bit embarrassed about it, especially mates of Cassidy, and of course it's taken away from us all talking about their wonderful achievement. The problem may be that Jim is a very young manager and gets a bit wound up at times. Remember last year when he had a go at RTE pundits after the Cavan game? Then after they beat Tyrone he called all the players into the dressing-room at Clones after the game, taking them away from the media and leaving the media waiting another half-hour, by which time the players had cooled down and delivered all the same lines. Then Jim had a tiff with Geezer in Croke Park, then the whole Book episode right up to this on the greatest day of his football life. Put in context, Jim himself may come to think that he would have been better doing this somewhere down the line.

Saffrongael

If Bogue had anything in him he should have offered McGuiness outside to settle it like men.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

theticklemister

Did anybody see the belfast telegraph today?

Did declan bogue have an editorial??

Sidney

What puzzles me about the Indo article is McGuinness's claim that Bogue hadn't done his research. Where else would you get research for this subject matter but from members of the Donegal panel or management? Is McGuinness now implying that Bogue should have got the views of more players, despite having thrown the one player who did give his view off the panel?

Hound

I don't understand this perspective, deiseach.

McGuinness wouldnt talk when Bogue was there because he says Bogue wrote lies about him.

It would surely be pure stupidity for any other journalist to follow Bogue out. Unless they knew for a fact that he told no lies in his book. The journalists had a job to do.

Bogue wrote a book and presumably made some money from it. He got upside, now he's getting downside. Them's the risks you take when you don't get authorisation from your subject.