Declan Ryan quits Tipperary hurling job

Started by Ash Smoker, September 01, 2012, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I just googled there. I think Babs is 68, and Cody is 58. Cody seems to be older than that, but thinking about it he couldn't be given that he was playing in the mid 80s.

homeofhurling8

Babs third and last year minor was in 1962 so that would tally.

Absent

Could Justin McCarthy do a job for Tipp seeing that there appears to be a dearth of suitable managerial talent available in the county at the moment.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Absent on September 21, 2012, 04:34:40 PM
Could Justin McCarthy do a job for Tipp seeing that there appears to be a dearth of suitable managerial talent available in the county at the moment.

I can't remember any of the big 3 hurling counties having an outside manager. Have Tipp ever had a Cork or a Kilkenny man in charge i wonder?

In any case McCarthy has never seemed willing to look at a tactical approach to hurling. He seemed a bit too set in his ways for the modern game. His Waterford team played amazing hurling but he never got an All-Ireland out of a very talented group of players.

Absent

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 21, 2012, 05:23:35 PM
Quote from: Absent on September 21, 2012, 04:34:40 PM

I can't remember any of the big 3 hurling counties having an outside manager. Have Tipp ever had a Cork or a Kilkenny man in charge i wonder?

In any case McCarthy has never seemed willing to look at a tactical approach to hurling. He seemed a bit too set in his ways for the modern game. His Waterford team played amazing hurling but he never got an All-Ireland out of a very talented group of players.

True indeed about Waterford,he had them playing great hurling though,they were a credit to him.

johnneycool

Crack open the bottles of Magners/Bulmers and Cidona for the children.

O'Shea primed for Tipp
25 September 2012
Eamon O'Shea is on the verge of being appointed as Declan Ryan's successor as manager of the Tipperary senior hurlers.

It was speculated that O'Shea - who was a member of Liam Sheedy's backroom team - had withdrawn his name from the race due to work commitments but The Irish Examiner understands that he has had a change of heart.

The NUIG professor of Economics is reported to have met with county board officials for a second time last week.

PRO Ger Ryan played down the speculation, however, and revealed that the Kilruane McDonaghs man will not be unveiled at a meeting of the County Board which is scheduled for tonight.

"Unfortunately there is no white smoke," he told The Irish Examiner. "As things stand, there will be no announcement at the meeting. We still haven't finished the process. Once we have news we will release a statement."

homeofhurling8

Eamonn O'Shea ratified at this evenings County board meeting.

Absent

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on September 25, 2012, 08:46:05 PM

HOH,you seem to have been right from the start,how will O'Shea do as manager as against coach,will he do both roles,could be quite a challenge for him,any word on the rest of the team.

GalwayBayBoy

Long drive for him through south Galway back and over every evening to go training. A few checkpoints might have to be set up.

seafoid

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2012, 11:21:53 AM
I just googled there. I think Babs is 68, and Cody is 58. Cody seems to be older than that, but thinking about it he couldn't be given that he was playing in the mid 80s.

A feature of Kilkenny hurlers of the pre-Cody generation, was how old they always looked.
They all looked like wizened 50 year olds when they played. The Fennellys, O'Connors, Christy Heffernan, John Power etc. Its hard to fathom that some of them were actually still in their 20s.

Nowadays the typical inter county hurler is shaking off the last effects of acne.
If Wurzel Gummidge ever hurled inter-county, it would definitely have been for the Cats!

homeofhurling8

Quote from: Absent on September 25, 2012, 09:53:06 PM

HOH,you seem to have been right from the start,how will O'Shea do as manager as against coach,will he do both roles,could be quite a challenge for him,any word on the rest of the team.
[/b]

No announcement due to be made on the rest of the managerial team until after the minor All Ireland is out of the way, they are mostly in place bar one, possibly two, of the backroom team (not selectors) having some issues to iron out,  the only reason the board released the brief statement last night was to avoid the circus that has surrounded the appointment in the last few days, the word was obviously out so they decided it best to confirm O'Shea as manager last night after he was ratified.

Contrary to some news reports last week Eamonn never ruled himself out, he was the only man officially approached by the County board to take over.

The county board initially drew up a list with three names on it, they contacted all three through the usual "back channels" to sound them out on their availability, two recent(ish) former managers both pushed the board in the direction of O'Shea who was the other name on the list of three, he confirmed his interest as soon as contacted and agreed to a meeting during which he outlined his vision which, as will become apparent, is a little more wide ranging than a traditional managerial appointment ;), the county board reps then took that "vision" away to discuss with the remaining members of the selection committee, the county board then approached Eamonn again to offer him the position which he accepted, the delay in naming him came as the fine details were ironed out over the last couple of weeks.

As for the coaching/managing side of things i have heard people question whether he can manage as opposed to coach, i would suggest his job proves he is certainly capable of managing people and of delegating, in fairness Eamonn isn't the sort of fella who does anything by halves, this is a man that took it upon himself to travel down to Thurles, on non training nights, to coach a couple of the Tipp players one to one during his previous stint, that's the sort of chap we are talking about here.

Onlooker

Clearly the best man for the job and a very good appointment.  My only worry is the hype that there will be in Tipperary as a result of him getting the job.  As far as some of the hard line fans are concerned next year's All Ireland is in the bag already.   

seafoid

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on September 26, 2012, 10:58:05 AM
Quote from: Absent on September 25, 2012, 09:53:06 PM

[/b]

No announcement due to be made on the rest of the managerial team until after the minor All Ireland is out of the way, they are mostly in place bar one, possibly two, of the backroom team (not selectors) having some issues to iron out,  the only reason the board released the brief statement last night was to avoid the circus that has surrounded the appointment in the last few days, the word was obviously out so they decided it best to confirm O'Shea as manager last night after he was ratified.

Contrary to some news reports last week Eamonn never ruled himself out, he was the only man officially approached by the County board to take over.

The county board initially drew up a list with three names on it, they contacted all three through the usual "back channels" to sound them out on their availability, two recent(ish) former managers both pushed the board in the direction of O'Shea who was the other name on the list of three, he confirmed his interest as soon as contacted and agreed to a meeting during which he outlined his vision which, as will become apparent, is a little more wide ranging than a traditional managerial appointment ;), the county board reps then took that "vision" away to discuss with the remaining members of the selection committee, the county board then approached Eamonn again to offer him the position which he accepted, the delay in naming him came as the fine details were ironed out over the last couple of weeks.

As for the coaching/managing side of things i have heard people question whether he can manage as opposed to coach, i would suggest his job proves he is certainly capable of managing people and of delegating, in fairness Eamonn isn't the sort of fella who does anything by halves, this is a man that took it upon himself to travel down to Thurles, on non training nights, to coach a couple of the Tipp players one to one during his previous stint, that's the sort of chap we are talking about here.

HoH

Is this the one you were hoping they would pick ?

homeofhurling8

O'Shea was definetly top of my list alright Seafoid, delighted he answered the call, next summer will be very interesting now with the re-emergence of Clare and Limerick in Munster to challenge ourselves,Cork and Waterford and Kilkenny, Galway and Dublin(this year was a blip imho) scrapping it out in Leinster, isnt it great to have competitive provincial championships again.