Declan Ryan quits Tipperary hurling job

Started by Ash Smoker, September 01, 2012, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeofhurling8

Sheedy had never met O'Shea before the county board suggested him (on Nickys advice) in 2007, when they met it became quickly apparent they were pulling in the same direction but Sheedy is on record saying that if they hadn't he would have walked away, in fairness the Tipp county board are a relatively progressive bunch, i doubt Nugent and co would push selectors on O'Shea, its more a case of suggesting names.

johnneycool

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on September 17, 2012, 08:17:00 PM
Sheedy had never met O'Shea before the county board suggested him (on Nickys advice) in 2007, when they met it became quickly apparent they were pulling in the same direction but Sheedy is on record saying that if they hadn't he would have walked away, in fairness the Tipp county board are a relatively progressive bunch, i doubt Nugent and co would push selectors on O'Shea, its more a case of suggesting names.

You can be lucky in that regard with Sheedy and O'Shea, but it looks like more often than not some yahoo'd putting together a 'dream team' of ex star players or what not and they mightn't agree on the time of day and quickly transcend into farce.

seafoid

What is the mood like down in the soi disant home of hurling these days now that the dust has settled after the semi final?

Asal Mor

Quote from: Premier Emperor on September 04, 2012, 03:26:06 PM
It's a pity people will try to judge Declan on 35 minutes of one game, where things went badly wrong.
In his 2 years in charge, Tipperary had a 100% record in Munster and only lost to one county in championship.

Liam Sheedy lost a Munster Championship game to Cork by 10 points 2 years ago, but had a safety net to allow him recover from it. Kilkenny were beaten out the gate in Leinster, but had the luxury of a 2nd chance.

If we were playing Kilkenny again in a week's time, it would be as close as Tipp-Kilkenny games usually are.

It seems a little harsh when based on results but Tipps' performances in the last 2 years weren't as good as in Sheedy's time. In last year's final and this year's semi for they were clearly outplayed by Kilkenny, whereas in the two previous years they more than matched Kilkenny and were unlucky not to win both. It's not necessarily Ryan's fault that performances have slipped but at the same time it's the manager's job so it's always his fault.

Colombia

Quote from: seafoid on September 18, 2012, 09:15:09 AM
What is the mood like down in the soi disant home of hurling these days now that the dust has settled after the semi final?

I'm an exile so I wouldn't be privy to the prevailing mood, but if Eamonn O'Shea is appointed as Declan Ryan's successor well all will be sunshine & lollipops, if the public gets what the public wants.

Hearing now that we're going to have another Killenaule resident as selector, so homeofhurling8's Twitter account will need suspending 8)

johnneycool

no sunshine and lollipops down Tipp way so far!!

From HS:

O'Shea and Sheedy out of Tipp race
20 September 2012
Eamon O'Shea and Liam Sheedy have ruled themselves out of the running to become the next Tipperary hurling manager.

Both have cited work commitments as their reason for not being in a position to take the job. And with Nicky English having also ruled out the prospect of returning to the role after a decade's absence, the search for Declan Ryan's successor is becoming increasingly desperate.

O'Shea, who was coach to the Tipperary team which Liam Sheedy managed to All-Ireland glory two years ago, was seen as the most likely to candidate to succeed Ryan, who stepped down in the wake of last year's humiliating All-Ireland semi-final defeat to Kilkenny.

Tipperary chairman Sean Nugent has admitted the chances of having a name to put before next Tuesday's county board meeting are slim.

"We had an executive meeting on Tuesday night. Naturally enough we discussed it, but in terms of a candidate, there is nothing to report," he said in The Irish Daily Star.

"None of those leaders in the field have put their hands up and said that they will do it. They'd love to do it but because of work commitments, it's not possible at the moment."

Absent

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on September 17, 2012, 04:06:06 PM
I think that's why we haven't had any mention of retirements Colombia, i think the players have been tipped the nod that Eamonn is on board, I hope so anyway, not least because i threw a sizable chunk of the kids inheritance on him ;),  i believe the county board are finalising his selectors at the moment, they are being very thorough as i know of at least four lads who have been sounded out about their interest.

Now that O'Shea and Sheedy are not available,who is left,Babs definitely not the man and Nicky English not interested,will the job fall to Tommy Dunne.

Onlooker

I hope you are joking when you mention Tommy Dunne.  That would be a sure way of making a bad situation worse.

Absent

Quote from: Onlooker on September 20, 2012, 12:12:31 PM
I hope you are joking when you mention Tommy Dunne.  That would be a sure way of making a bad situation worse.

I agree but what names are likely to be in the hat now,surely its unthinkable for Tipp to go outside the county for a manager.

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on September 20, 2012, 11:47:34 AM
no sunshine and lollipops down Tipp way so far!!

From HS:

O'Shea and Sheedy out of Tipp race
20 September 2012
Eamon O'Shea and Liam Sheedy have ruled themselves out of the running to become the next Tipperary hurling manager.

Both have cited work commitments as their reason for not being in a position to take the job. And with Nicky English having also ruled out the prospect of returning to the role after a decade's absence, the search for Declan Ryan's successor is becoming increasingly desperate.

O'Shea, who was coach to the Tipperary team which Liam Sheedy managed to All-Ireland glory two years ago, was seen as the most likely to candidate to succeed Ryan, who stepped down in the wake of last year's humiliating All-Ireland semi-final defeat to Kilkenny.

Tipperary chairman Sean Nugent has admitted the chances of having a name to put before next Tuesday's county board meeting are slim.

"We had an executive meeting on Tuesday night. Naturally enough we discussed it, but in terms of a candidate, there is nothing to report," he said in The Irish Daily Star.

"None of those leaders in the field have put their hands up and said that they will do it. They'd love to do it but because of work commitments, it's not possible at the moment."
I thought home of hurling implied the other day that Tipp had a manager lined up and that they would win the AIF in 2013 with him. 

Premier Emperor

I think Eamon O'Shea is someone who wants to coach rather than manage.
Work commitments is the way out people use when they aren't happy with the terms.

spuds

Quote from: Premier Emperor on September 20, 2012, 12:20:29 PM
I think Eamon O'Shea is someone who wants to coach rather than manage.
Work commitments is the way out people use when they aren't happy with the terms.
Oh jeepers ! And what do people say when their professional life is incompatible with the demands of intercounty management ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

homeofhurling8

O'Shea hasn't ruled himself out, neither has Nugent ruled him out entirely above nor in the original interview from which the quotes above were taken , there is i believe a current impasse but O'Shea is still the only man approached officially to be manager, there have been others approached with a view to them working with O'Shea, up to yesterday the new team was due to be put forward next Tuesday night to be ratified, one of the chaps approached to be a selector was as much in the dark as everyone else when i spoke to him earlier as he was told O'Shea was already "signed and sealed".

johnneycool

What's wrong with Dinny? Was his brainfart against Cork so bad that his native county won't entertain him?

Premier Emperor

Quote from: johnneycool on September 20, 2012, 01:10:58 PM
What's wrong with Dinny? Was his brainfart against Cork so bad that his native county won't entertain him?
A lot in Tipp wouldn't rate him highly.