Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zip Code

Tried that to no avail!  May take it to a garage in the morning.

The Iceman

have an electrical problem with my pickup.... was driving yesterday and the car-horn went on and didn't stop. Had to pull over and disconnect it and then pull the fuse. The fuse isn't damaged at all and I went through all of them and they are all fine.
Dealership job or any advice on how to sort it? Right now I'm happy enough driving without....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

GJL

Quote from: Zip Code on September 02, 2014, 05:31:03 PM
Tried that to no avail!  May take it to a garage in the morning.

You need to try again. The alloy reacts to the steel hub and sticks. Seen it a thousand times. A few more good solid thumps should sort it., We apply copper grease to prevent this happening.

GJL

Quote from: The Iceman on September 02, 2014, 05:52:09 PM
have an electrical problem with my pickup.... was driving yesterday and the car-horn went on and didn't stop. Had to pull over and disconnect it and then pull the fuse. The fuse isn't damaged at all and I went through all of them and they are all fine.
Dealership job or any advice on how to sort it? Right now I'm happy enough driving without....

Has to be something to do with the steering wheel. That is the switch. Check that a coin or something has not got in.

The Iceman

Quote from: GJL on September 02, 2014, 06:14:16 PM

Has to be something to do with the steering wheel. That is the switch. Check that a coin or something has not got in.
its definitely electrical - when I put the side lights on the honking stopped. when I removed a fuse on the same line there is a crackling if the lights are off.
I'll open up the steering wheel and see can i see anything.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

GJL

Quote from: The Iceman on September 02, 2014, 06:26:54 PM

its definitely electrical - when I put the side lights on the honking stopped. when I removed a fuse on the same line there is a crackling if the lights are off.

Now that you mention that it may be alarm related. Electrical faults in a car can be a nightmare.

johnneycool

Quote from: GJL on September 02, 2014, 06:34:59 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on September 02, 2014, 06:26:54 PM

Now that you mention that it may be alarm related. Electrical faults in a car can be a nightmare.

Has Magnetic Mary on the dash damaged something? jammed an old relay somewhere?

general

Quote from: GJL on September 01, 2014, 04:51:18 PM
Quote from: general on September 01, 2014, 03:50:11 PM
Quote from: GJL on September 01, 2014, 03:24:20 PM
Quote from: general on September 01, 2014, 03:21:40 PM
has any1 had any problems with mini one's? the alarm is going on when i try to start the car, the driver door is locked in and out so you cant use the door. any ideas? only bought 4 months ago and hurst arent standing over it

Go straight to Hursts and tell them you know your rights. They MUST stand over any issues under the sale of goods act. Don't let them wriggle out of it.

they give us 6 months warranty. after 1 month we had to get the steering column replaced & 2 pads and now they are saying if its a wiring issue they aren't standing over it. i cant see it being anything but a wiring issue.

It matters not if it is a wiring issue they MUST stand over it. Mention Trading Standards to them and watch them jump!

I left my girlfriends mini to Hurst yesterday, I called approx 5pm this evening, they still haven't looked at it. they did mention though that if its an electric issue which i think it is then it isn't under warranty. they said they wont know what it is until they look at it. so if they look at it and it turns out to be electrical, they wont fix it on warranty and they will charge me for looking at it.

any advice here? I am fuming, Hurst are a disgrace. would I have anything to stand on if I got onto trading standards or the small claims court? we bought the car on the  April with 6 months "warranty" which I'm now told only covers gearboxes, window motors, clutch etc. As if it isn't hard enough each day to get by

macdanger2

Have you got the warranty in writing? Or do they have it on their website?

general

its a warranty book. as far as i was concerned it covered major problems. its a used direct warranty, "5 star cover" supposedly.

GJL

Did you mention trading standards to them yet? Or the 'fit for purpose' law. I am telling you now... They MUST fix your car. It is the law. Do not roll over on this.

general

Quote from: GJL on September 04, 2014, 09:49:33 PM
Did you mention trading standards to them yet? Or the 'fit for purpose' law. I am telling you now... They MUST fix your car. It is the law. Do not roll over on this.

A-lot of time spent on the phone Friday and this morning regarding this, Hurst are by no means playing ball. Even after the conversation of the sale of goods act 1979 and them having to prove the fault wasn't there 4 months they are refusing to look and have said it will be over £700 to fix after parts and labor, + first inspection.

I have now drafted a formal letter, stating my rights and included some materials stating my rights, and will be sent via recorded delivery today giving them 5 days to respond. I've a feeling they are going to take this the whole way to the small claims. I just want the car fixed.

Absolute shambles, I will never buy a car from Hurst again and i wouldn't encourage any one else to. I bought my own car from Shelbourne and I've nothing but good things to say about them. The attitude of Hurst stinks

Hardy

Quote from: general on September 08, 2014, 11:08:07 AM

A-lot of time spent on the phone Friday and this morning regarding this, Hurst are by no means playing ball. Even after the conversation of the sale of goods act 1979 and them having to prove the fault wasn't there 4 months they are refusing to look and have said it will be over £700 to fix after parts and labor, + first inspection.

I have now drafted a formal letter, stating my rights and included some materials stating my rights, and will be sent via recorded delivery today giving them 5 days to respond. I've a feeling they are going to take this the whole way to the small claims. I just want the car fixed.

Absolute shambles, I will never buy a car from Hurst again and i wouldn't encourage any one else to. I bought my own car from Shelbourne and I've nothing but good things to say about them. The attitude of Hurst stinks

I don't know how it goes up there, but down here the threat of Joe Duffy seems to work in cases like this. I abhor the setup that allows his ilk to dictate agendas all across the public arena but in this case, those bastards would seem to be asking for it.

It's Nolan up there, I think?

GJL

If it goes to court you will win hands down. Don't back down.

GJL

Quote from: GJL on September 08, 2014, 12:45:42 PM

If it goes to court you will win hands down. Don't back down.

Any progress on this?