Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: tyrone girl on January 14, 2014, 03:01:47 PM
What would you think about them parts on ebay? do they look to be ok? Got text messages from that other place with it for £165 but that would be second hand. The ones on ebay seem to be new.

Is that all i would need just whats on the link?

They look 100% if it is the right one for your car. LUK is a great make and one that a lot of cars come with originally.

What year is your car? PM me the reg number and I will get you a price from my supplier

GJL

Quote from: general_lee on January 13, 2014, 07:06:14 PM
Any A4 owners in here? Looking at buying an 09 diesel with about 70-80k miles on the clock. Saw some good examples but am apprehensive especially buying privately. Someone mentioned clutch issues with this car - is this common? Bit of a novice when it comes to this carry on, Any experts?

The A4 is a great car. I have sold loads of them and also service quite a few for customers. They have their faults but all cars do. If it has a good Audi service history you can't go far wrong. We bring them in from England. Most are Ex-company cars with good histories and motorway miles. English miles are much better than Irish I find.

general_lee

Quote from: Mayoffs on January 13, 2014, 10:49:01 PM
A4's can be troublesome so pick a good one, there's plenty of choice out there. Turbo's, injectors, pumps and starter failures can be common. Diesel quality in the south is sh*t, I know cause we have a maintenance company. Since common rail injection arrived, diesel pump replacements have greatly increased so I'd recommend replacement of the fuel filter at each service.
Quote from: supersarsfields on January 14, 2014, 08:39:29 AM
Bought a 08 A4 two years ago. Had 70K miles on it. Never had a minute's trouble with it. Got a company car last year so got rid of it after only having it for about 18 months so limited enough time with it. But would definitely reccommend. Might be worth considering a trip to UK. We managed to lop about 1500 yoyos of the price for a similar car over here. (We were going to London anyway to see an inlaw, so flew over and then just took the ferry back with the car)
Quote from: laoislad on January 14, 2014, 10:31:59 AM
I have an A4 Avant. Great car. Mine has about 55k on clock. No problems with it so far anyway.
Mine is the 1.9 TDI engine.
Cheers for the input lads. Had a look at England and to be honest don't have the time to be shopping around and then trying to arrange flights over, ferries home etc. I'd be hoping to get a 1.9 TDI also, have drove similar VAGs before so I'm confident enough, just worried because there's always the risk when you buy privately that you might end up with a dud!

general_lee

Quote from: GJL on January 14, 2014, 03:27:37 PM
Any A4 owners in here? Looking at buying an 09 diesel with about 70-80k miles on the clock. Saw some good examples but am apprehensive especially buying privately. Someone mentioned clutch issues with this car - is this common? Bit of a novice when it comes to this carry on, Any experts?

The A4 is a great car. I have sold loads of them and also service quite a few for customers. They have their faults but all cars do. If it has a good Audi service history you can't go far wrong. We bring them in from England. Most are Ex-company cars with good histories and motorway miles. English miles are much better than Irish I find.
Thanks. Yeah the one I'm looking at has one previous owner (retired) which to me is a good sign. It looks a clean enough car and full Audi service history. Would you know if any other maintenance work would be due on it soon if its at 70k, timebelt has been done recently on the one I'm after but as far as I know that's it.

thejuice

I have a problem with my KIA Rio other than the fact that its a KIA Rio.

There is a moaning like sound coming from the front left wheel. when I turn left or go round a roundabout. I was told at my MOT it was a problem with the brake disks and pads. I've had these replaced but the problem remains.

The steering gets stiff and the tyre is nearly bald on its outer edge. Is it just the tracking or something worse. When I got it, there was a problem with the ''ball joint' I think. I got it sorted and it was fine. Perhaps its come up again.

Any guesses what the problem is.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

GJL

Quote from: thejuice on January 14, 2014, 11:08:20 PM

There is a moaning like sound coming from the front left wheel. when I turn left or go round a roundabout. I was told at my MOT it was a problem with the brake disks and pads. I've had these replaced but the problem remains.

The steering gets stiff and the tyre is nearly bald on its outer edge. Is it just the tracking or something worse. When I got it, there was a problem with the ''ball joint' I think. I got it sorted and it was fine. Perhaps its come up again.

Have you had the hub bearing checked?

thejuice

No. Perhaps I should do that.

It's a pity I've no where to go to just take a look at it like I used to at home. Might just have to crawl under the car one day and take a look.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Quote from: GJL on January 14, 2014, 11:43:09 PM
Quote from: thejuice on January 14, 2014, 11:08:20 PM

Have you had the hub bearing checked?

Could it be the calipers?

GJL

It could be but by your description my first guess is bearing. To check if caliper is sticking go for a drive. After few miles stop and put your hand on the 2 front wheels. If the one on the side making the noise is hot compared to the other side it is a sticking caliper. Be careful not to burn your hand.

muppet

Quote from: GJL on January 15, 2014, 03:35:21 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 14, 2014, 03:33:49 PM
Quote from: GJL on January 14, 2014, 03:27:37 PM

Thanks. Yeah the one I'm looking at has one previous owner (retired) which to me is a good sign. It looks a clean enough car and full Audi service history. Would you know if any other maintenance work would be due on it soon if its at 70k, timebelt has been done recently on the one I'm after but as far as I know that's it.

This is an example of the type of cars we sell. It is currently in stock.

The VRT to import to ROI is 3674 Euro.

It's a class car!

http://www.usedcarsni.com/124161128?

Fcuk that looks good value!
MWWSI 2017

thejuice

Turns out it was the hub bearings in the end. The ABS sensor 'disintegrated' when they were replacing it, so I had to stump up for that as well. Spent half the current value of the car this month on maintenance.  :(

GJL

Quote from: thejuice on January 20, 2014, 03:36:19 PM
Turns out it was the hub bearings in the end. The ABS sensor 'disintegrated' when they were replacing it, so I had to stump up for that as well. Spent half the current value of the car this month on maintenance.  :(

Sounded like a bearing alright.

The ABS sensor breaking up often happens when doing this job. Not the mechanics fault. It slides into a tight hole with an interference fit and with all the heat involved in that area it is impossible to get out in one piece. 

GJL

I used to sell a lot of cars into the south of Ireland but that all stopped with the recession. The last few months I have noticed a marked increase in the amount of enquiries and sales across the border. Hopefully a sign of better times. :)

maddog

Any ideas on this ? I had the dip light go on the car there and had it changed (xenon bulb £58 ffs) but it is still not working. If it aint the bulb what could it be ?

GJL

It could be you dip switch or the relay.