Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayoffs

A4's can be troublesome so pick a good one, there's plenty of choice out there. Turbo's, injectors, pumps and starter failures can be common. Diesel quality in the south is sh*t, I know cause we have a maintenance company. Since common rail injection arrived, diesel pump replacements have greatly increased so I'd recommend replacement of the fuel filter at each service.
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

supersarsfields

Quote from: general_lee on January 13, 2014, 07:06:14 PM
Any A4 owners in here? Looking at buying an 09 diesel with about 70-80k miles on the clock. Saw some good examples but am apprehensive especially buying privately. Someone mentioned clutch issues with this car - is this common? Bit of a novice when it comes to this carry on, Any experts?

Bought a 08 A4 two years ago. Had 70K miles on it. Never had a minute's trouble with it. Got a company car last year so got rid of it after only having it for about 18 months so limited enough time with it. But would definitely reccommend. Might be worth considering a trip to UK. We managed to lop about 1500 yoyos of the price for a similar car over here. (We were going to London anyway to see an inlaw, so flew over and then just took the ferry back with the car)   

BenDover

Quote from: Mayoffs on January 13, 2014, 10:49:01 PM
A4's can be troublesome so pick a good one, there's plenty of choice out there. Turbo's, injectors, pumps and starter failures can be common. Diesel quality in the south is sh*t, I know cause we have a maintenance company. Since common rail injection arrived, diesel pump replacements have greatly increased so I'd recommend replacement of the fuel filter at each service.

is this not normal practise? Only costs a few pound and can be handy enough changed yourself.

tyrone girl

Im still driving around with this clutch/flywheel problem or whatever it may be.
Anyone who had the problem with their car know how long can drive with the clutch scraping like this? The mechanic told me start of December i could drive away at it til after christmas and have it fixed then.
The thought though of £600 fix or something similar is depressing me.

WeeDonns

Quote from: tyrone girl on January 14, 2014, 10:01:15 AM
Im still driving around with this clutch/flywheel problem or whatever it may be.
Anyone who had the problem with their car know how long can drive with the clutch scraping like this? The mechanic told me start of December i could drive away at it til after christmas and have it fixed then.
The thought though of £600 fix or something similar is depressing me.
Mechanic told me i could get the guts of a year out of mine before it gave up. It didn't last 6 months & cost £900+ (Ford Focus)

EDIT: just seen your previous posts. Mine is a 2006 1.8 diesel Focus, sounds like you're having the same issue as I had, eventually it just wouldn't move one day I started it. Unfortunately happened me in Belfast so labour was high. Clutch & Flywheel kit cost £550+ i think. Happened at 111,000 miles

tyrone girl

Ah frig your depressing me more! £900  :-\ :'( :'( :'( Mines a ford focus as well

I was thinking along the lines of £500/£600 max and at that im even depressed as hell.

If could get another few months out of it though id be happier. Still not entirely sure that it definitely is the flywheel though cos its a scraping sound more than a rattle and absolutely no sound on driving in fact it drives fine in general. Its when push in the clutch sitting in traffic etc.

laoislad

Quote from: general_lee on January 13, 2014, 07:06:14 PM
Any A4 owners in here? Looking at buying an 09 diesel with about 70-80k miles on the clock. Saw some good examples but am apprehensive especially buying privately. Someone mentioned clutch issues with this car - is this common? Bit of a novice when it comes to this carry on, Any experts?
I have an A4 Avant. Great car. Mine has about 55k on clock. No problems with it so far anyway.
Mine is the 1.9 TDI engine.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

WeeDonns

see edit to above post

Your description sounds exactly like mine, I'd call it a scraping rather than a rattle and once i got going up through the gears it was fine.

Drive away at it, but when it finally goes it'll be a nightmare if you're nowhere near home

tyrone girl

Good man thanks a million. I would need to keep an eye on it big time then.
If could get it til the end of next month with it il get it fixed. Exact same car and engine size too. 100k on this one. Depressing  :-\

tyrone girl

Im seeing clutch and flywheel kits on ebay for £250. is that the right thing?

theskull1

Quote from: tyrone girl on January 14, 2014, 10:46:13 AM
Im seeing clutch and flywheel kits on ebay for £250. is that the right thing?

From a supplier? sounds too cheap.

...... things like flywheel replacement are now service items. Its going to happen to every car (deisel anyway) after 60/70+K miles. I got away to 150K before I replaced mine, but a town driver would be a lot less. I shouldnt be a shock
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

tyrone girl

If i hoke out the link for it here will u take a look and tell me what you think?

supersarsfields

I used to use a website on line were I could put in the part type and it allowed businesses to contact me with prices. Some of them were used but came with guarantees. Was really good. In some cases I was getting parts from 25-50% of what I was being quoted by the garage.   

I'll see if I can find that website.

This isn't the one but something similar.

http://www.247spares.co.uk/partrequest

Just put in your Reg (Or the car details if it doesn't pull it up from the reg) and then type in the part. people will then contact you with prices, and they're competitive. Now most are used parts but they will generally tell you of the quality. I used the other service multible times and never had any problems. I put in rough details there for a 2006 Focus 1.8 diesel and a guy called within minutes with a price of 50 + VAT and delivery. Said very good quality. As far as I remember there's a returns policy as well if it isn't up to stratch (But might be worth double checking this!!)
Might be an option for you.