Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: reddgnhand on September 26, 2013, 04:59:17 PM
Quote from: GJL on September 26, 2013, 04:53:22 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on September 26, 2013, 04:37:34 PM
Anyone know anything about DPF's in a car?

I know they are giving plenty of bother. What's your problem?

Blocked and has destroyed turbo. Mechanic says he's going to soak it in parrafin for a few days and see if it clears blockage.

I use stuff called Protec DPF flush. Can get it in Europarts in Dungannon. Was the Engine light on in the run up to the turbo blowing?

reddgnhand

Quote from: GJL on September 26, 2013, 05:04:27 PM

Blocked and has destroyed turbo. Mechanic says he's going to soak it in parrafin for a few days and see if it clears blockage.

I use stuff called Protec DPF flush. Can get it in Europarts in Dungannon. Was the Engine light on in the run up to the turbo blowing?

Yes there was a regeneration done and I was advised to take it for a good drive that's when turbo went.

GJL

Quote from: reddgnhand on September 26, 2013, 05:12:14 PM
Quote from: GJL on September 26, 2013, 05:04:27 PM

Yes there was a regeneration done and I was advised to take it for a good drive that's when turbo went.

If the engine light is on for whatever reason the regen does not take place. This is why DPFs block in the first place.

tyrone girl

Ford Focus been giving a rumbling sort of noise over past couple of weeks nothing major and a bit of pulsation when heavy braking. Thought it was maybe brake discs or pads (though no loss of power in braking) but it wasnt sounding bad.
Over the last week though i have noticed a sound in my clutch like a grinding/ scraping noise. This doesnt happen though when im engaging the clutch whilst changing gears when im driving as in moving from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd or anything like that. The noise comes when im slowing down and having to go into first gear at all or slow the car way down coming to roundabout or traffic lights. when i do this and press the clutch in the noise is very bad. When im reversing and using the clutch that way theres also the really bad sound. Mechanic reckoned from talking to him on phone that its the flywheel maybe gone. I have been looking up online and could cry it seems like serious money.
Anyone had any experience with this? He did say to me however i could drive away at it until after christmas and get it sorted then. Does this sound right?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

theskull1

I got used to my flywheel rattling away and I'm sure I drove her like that for 10 or 20K miles more before i replaced it. I had near 150K on the clock when I did the work. All depends on the type of driving you do of course, but some cars need theirs replacing after 40 or 50K so some models last better than others AFAIA

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

tyrone girl

Theres 95 k on my car at the minute. Was yours a serious grinding scraping sound when pressing the clutch in at all? Its the sound of the noise freaks me out when driving it is so loud.
What did it cost to get yours fixed?

theskull1

I would describe it as a rattle. Youtube "dual mass flyhweel noise" and listen to see how its compares

In regards to cost, bought the clutch kit online for around £550

Forget what the labour was
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

tyrone girl

I wouldnt class mine as a rattle though its a real grinding scraping match when sitting in traffic. Mind you i went out at lunchtime there and there wasnt a noise to be heard. Strange  :o

Tony Baloney

Its the flywheel. Same went on my Focus.

Olly

My car turns itself on at random moments. Any cures?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

armaghniac

My car turns itself on at random moments. Any cures?

1. take out the battery
2. take out the engine
3. leave your car immersed in a lake
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

snoopdog

a friend of mine needs a new clutch for Toyota Avensis garage in Dublin is looking 1100 to do the job.
Is it just me r is that daylight robbery?
anyone know anywhere in Dublin preferably north city know any mechanic that will do the job for less than 650 labour, he was charging 450 for a clutch

Tony Baloney

Quote from: snoopdog on December 13, 2013, 09:18:25 PM
a friend of mine needs a new clutch for Toyota Avensis garage in Dublin is looking 1100 to do the job.
Is it just me r is that daylight robbery?
anyone know anywhere in Dublin preferably north city know any mechanic that will do the job for less than 650 labour, he was charging 450 for a clutch
You would be cheaper driving up to my mechanic in Armagh!  :o

andoireabu

Anybody know how to get the ABS light to go off in a golf?  The system works and it passed the MOT but the light comes on every time I go above 10mph. 
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

general_lee

Any A4 owners in here? Looking at buying an 09 diesel with about 70-80k miles on the clock. Saw some good examples but am apprehensive especially buying privately. Someone mentioned clutch issues with this car - is this common? Bit of a novice when it comes to this carry on, Any experts?