Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

What about my f**king car alarm above? :'(

muppet

MWWSI 2017

theskull1

I take it youve done your own googling moysider?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

moysider

Quote from: theskull1 on September 24, 2013, 09:57:17 PM
I take it youve done your own googling moysider?

Yeah. Sorted it with the remote thingy.

tyrone girl

Was driving yesterday and was slowing down, whilst doing so was changing gears but briefly was in too high a gear that the car shuddered but as i slowed then the oil light came on and car completely lost all power and stopped. Panicked and thought the engine had seized or something but anyway i started it again and it started back up immediately with no hassle. Drove it on home no bother and had it checked for oil and there was plenty in it.
Any ideas anyone?
Also should mention the battery light came on last week as i was driving home, stayed on for the 10 miles or so til got home but never came on again when i restarted or since. It could be nothing but just a bit worried with the oil light coming on and loss of power.

theskull1

Did you mean to go into 4th and find 2nd? 

Mechanical over reving is not good for any engine. Just depends on how much you over reved. Are you sure the engine is running totally normal again? No power loss, fluid loss, over heating?

GJL

Quote from: tyrone girl on September 26, 2013, 09:52:17 AM
Was driving yesterday and was slowing down, whilst doing so was changing gears but briefly was in too high a gear that the car shuddered but as i slowed then the oil light came on and car completely lost all power and stopped. Panicked and thought the engine had seized or something but anyway i started it again and it started back up immediately with no hassle. Drove it on home no bother and had it checked for oil and there was plenty in it.
Any ideas anyone?
Also should mention the battery light came on last week as i was driving home, stayed on for the 10 miles or so til got home but never came on again when i restarted or since. It could be nothing but just a bit worried with the oil light coming on and loss of power.

What type of car TG. Where are you from? If you call into me in Ballygawley I could have a look and let you know what I think.

johnneycool

Quote from: tyrone girl on September 26, 2013, 09:52:17 AM
Any ideas anyone?

I stalled my 2006 diesel jetta at a set of lights, restarted the car before the heater plugs had done their thing and the emissions lamp has been on ever since. I've had car electrics lads with the yolks try and reset it, but its still there.

Doesn't affect the MOT thankfully.

tyrone girl

Quote from: theskull1 on September 26, 2013, 12:10:08 PM

Mechanical over reving is not good for any engine. Just depends on how much you over reved. Are you sure the engine is running totally normal again? No power loss, fluid loss, over heating?

No i meant to find 2nd and found 4th. Engine seems to be running totally normal again, maybe slighter slower on accelerating but thats probably my imagination as i dont really think it is. No overheating etc and no noises other than the turbo whine which has been whining and doing my head in for years.

Its a ford focus GJL

Rois

Quote from: johnneycool on September 26, 2013, 01:57:36 PM

I failed my MOT because a warning light was on. New regulations.

theskull1

Quote from: tyrone girl on September 26, 2013, 02:29:09 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on September 26, 2013, 12:10:08 PM

No i meant to find 2nd and found 4th. Engine seems to be running totally normal again, maybe slighter slower on accelerating but thats probably my imagination as i dont really think it is. No overheating etc and no noises other than the turbo whine which has been whining and doing my head in for years.

Its a ford focus GJL

Oh ..get you now.....You'll be grand...not great for an engine but they'd be designed to account for bad drivers  ;)

reddgnhand

Anyone know anything about DPF's in a car?

johnneycool

Quote from: Rois on September 26, 2013, 02:38:17 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 26, 2013, 01:57:36 PM

I failed my MOT because a warning light was on. New regulations.

Depends on the warning light, if its brakes or air bags and the likes I think it'll fail ok for that, but not the emissions light as I've got mine through the MOT twice with it on.

GJL

Quote from: reddgnhand on September 26, 2013, 04:37:34 PM

I know they are giving plenty of bother. What's your problem?

reddgnhand

Quote from: GJL on September 26, 2013, 04:53:22 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on September 26, 2013, 04:37:34 PM

I know they are giving plenty of bother. What's your problem?

Blocked and has destroyed turbo. Mechanic says he's going to soak it in parrafin for a few days and see if it clears blockage.