All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

What a lovely moonlit night out. Maybe it s an omen - moonlight in Mayo!

Driving up in the morning. More in hope than in confidence but it s great to be in a final with a chance of winning even if we re underdogs.

Before a ball was kicked I thought Donegal were the best team in the country and I expected them to win every game they have played so far and if they were playing anybody else tomorrow I would expect them to win - and want them to win. Contrary to most other opinion I liked the way that Donegal have gone about their business. I couldn t see them play often enough.

But I think Mayo have a punchers chance in this. And that s not too bad. Technically we have players as good as there s out there. Donegal looked well ahead of Mayo 4 months ago but the nature of gaelic football seasons is that teams adapt and close gaps quickly May - September.

I never believed we lost finals to Kerry just because it was Kerry we were playing. We were not as good 04/06 as Kerry and it was not a collapse. 97 was the one we should have won and our misfire was of our own making and nothing to do with the Kerry jersey.

I dont believe either that because we ve lost so many and that we have to win one some time. We don t. Each final is a 50/50 at best. This team has not played a final before and if we lose many of these players may never get back there again.

I ve always believed that we often did not give ourselves the best chance of success - not just finals - with poor managerial appointments/ poor selection/ poor tactics/ poor preparation etc. Obviously those problems are no longer the issue the used to be in Mayo since the current management took over. We re blessed that 2 of our best players ever - Horan and Nallen - are there. Both would be multiple AI winners if some of those around them were as good. Successive managements also let them down. I don t think these lads will let anybody down and Cian O Neill has done what we thought he would. Barry Moran still sound in late September!

I m sure Mayo have done everything possible to give us the best chance tomorrow. It still may not be good enough because Donegal will have nailed their preparation as well. I m already proud of this Mayo team and I think I ll still be proud of them tomorrow night win or lose. Best of luck to my old soldiers, Clarkie, Caff, Kevin Mac, Ronan, Michael, Evan and the rest of the Mayo package.

Going to leave it at that. Getting a bit of emotional tbh. AI final day has a bit of baggage for me and not just about losing games. But it s great to be in an AI final again and these are the experiences of our lives.

Mind yerselves tomorrow those of ye on the road. And win or lose make sure ye get back to the hills or the heather in one piece.

Sidney

Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2012, 11:26:30 PM
Each final is a 50/50 at best.
You imply that the maximum chance any team can have going into an All-Ireland final is 50%, but also that a team can have a less than 50% chance. Let's say for argument's sake Mayo have a 30% chance tomorrow. Does that mean Donegal still onlly have a 50% chance? What happens to the other 20%?

;)

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

moysider

Quote from: Sidney on September 23, 2012, 01:10:47 AM
Each final is a 50/50 at best.
You imply that the maximum chance any team can have going into an All-Ireland final is 50%, but also that a team can have a less than 50% chance. Let's say for argument's sake Mayo have a 30% chance tomorrow. Does that mean Donegal still onlly have a 50% chance? What happens to the other 20%?

;)

You know what I mean!

Sam2011

Nerves/excitement are at an optimum level now.
Hopefully at around 5 all us Mayo fans will see the one moment we've been waiting for since the day we were born.
Anyway just want to say best of luck to the team and management today. As long as they put in a honest performance I'll be proud!
Safe travelling to all supporters still on their way up>

C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!!!!!

From the Bunker

Jez, the nerves and excitement. Have not felt this since 2004. Safe journeys to all the Mayo, Donegal and Gael supporters. Hopefully we get one hell of a game today. It will be an emotional day no matter who win. Time to catch the train. Slan.

An Gaeilgoir

Just up now, the sun rise over the Mask in the mist this morning is a joy to behold. Have the goose bumps already, all the talking is over (for me anyhow). It's over to James and the lads now. Hopefully, Sam will be heading for Ballyforan and the Shannon tomorrow.

As for omems, i switched on RTE radio this morning and there were the Saw Doctors, with the Red and Green of Mayo, the tears rose up inside!!!

From Galway to Dublin, from Derry to Kerry
New York and 'Frisco and Boston also
In Pittsburg, Chicago, Detroit and Toronto
There are stout-hearted men from the County Mayo
Now boys, pull together in all sorts of weather
Don't show the white feather, wherever you go
Act each as a brother and help one another
Like true hearted men from the County Mayo

Go n-eiri linn.
Maigh Eo Abu!

Slan!!

Hardy

Great stuff, men. Enjoy the day. Give an ould shout for our lads in the minors.

omagh_gael

Good luck to both teams today. Hard to believe it's eleven years since there was an AI final not involving either Kerry or Tyrone. Really looking forward to this one. I'm cheering for the green andand red myself (family connection) but won't complain if Murphy lifts Sam either.

Enjoy your day ladies and gentlemen, I for one am very jealous!

Mayo4Sam

Drove the parents up yesterday and we played a game of guess which car was going to the all-Ireland, every second car had a mayo flag. We reckoned u wouldn't go into any shop that had both flags outside, pin your colours to the mast or be damned.
We forget in Mayo how lucky we are to have these days evey few years, twould make u giddy!
Hopefully this is the year although I've a feeling donegal might just be the better team but I'm hopeful of stage fright

Far away from the land of the Shamrock and heather
In search of a living, as exiles we roam
But whenever we chance to assemble together
We think of the land where we once had a home:
But these homes are destroyed and our soil confiscated
The hand of the tyrant brought plunder and woe;
The fires are now quenched and our hearts desolated
In our once happy homes in the County Mayo

Long years have now passed since with hearts full of sorrow
The of the Shamrock we left far behind;
But how we would like to go back there to-morrow;
To the scenes of our youth, which we still bear in mind;
The days of our childhood, it's now we recall them
They cling to our vision wherever we go;
And the friends of our youth we will never forget them
They too ar exiled from the County Mayo

From historic Killala, from Swinford to Calla
Ballyhaunis and Westport and old Castlebar
Kiltimagh and Claremorris, Belmullet and Erris
Kilkelly and Knock that's famed near and far;
Balla, Ballinrobe, Ballina and Bohola
Keeloges and Foxford a few miles below
Newport and Cong with old Straide and Manulla
Charlestown too, in the County Mayo

Then on with the cause 'till our aim is accomplished
Those who would fault us are cowardly and mean
So stand in the fight 'till the tyrant is vanquished
Expelled from our Dear little Island of Green
With the foes of our land we have fought a long battle
Soon they will get their last death-dealing blow
When old Nick has received them, their brains he will rattle
For the wrongs they have done to the County Mayo

From Galway to Dublin, from Derry to Kerry
New York and 'Frisco and Boston also
In Pittsburg, Chicago, Detroit and Toronto
There are stout-hearted men from the County Mayo
Now boys, pull together in all sorts of weather
Don't show the white feather, wherever you go
Act each as a brother and help one another
Like true hearted men from the County Mayo
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: omagh_gael on September 23, 2012, 10:15:02 AM
Good luck to both teams today. Hard to believe it's eleven years since there was an AI final not involving either Kerry or Tyrone. Really looking forward to this one. I'm cheering for the green andand red myself (family connection) but won't complain if Murphy lifts Sam either.

Enjoy your day ladies and gentlemen, I for one am very jealous!

Cork v Down in 2010 !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

cuconnacht

What a lovely moonlit night out. Maybe it s an omen - moonlight in Mayo!

Driving up in the morning. More in hope than in confidence but it s great to be in a final with a chance of winning even if we re underdogs.

Before a ball was kicked I thought Donegal were the best team in the country and I expected them to win every game they have played so far and if they were playing anybody else tomorrow I would expect them to win - and want them to win. Contrary to most other opinion I liked the way that Donegal have gone about their business. I couldn t see them play often enough.

But I think Mayo have a punchers chance in this. And that s not too bad. Technically we have players as good as there s out there. Donegal looked well ahead of Mayo 4 months ago but the nature of gaelic football seasons is that teams adapt and close gaps quickly May - September.

I never believed we lost finals to Kerry just because it was Kerry we were playing. We were not as good 04/06 as Kerry and it was not a collapse. 97 was the one we should have won and our misfire was of our own making and nothing to do with the Kerry jersey.

I dont believe either that because we ve lost so many and that we have to win one some time. We don t. Each final is a 50/50 at best. This team has not played a final before and if we lose many of these players may never get back there again.

I ve always believed that we often did not give ourselves the best chance of success - not just finals - with poor managerial appointments/ poor selection/ poor tactics/ poor preparation etc. Obviously those problems are no longer the issue the used to be in Mayo since the current management took over. We re blessed that 2 of our best players ever - Horan and Nallen - are there. Both would be multiple AI winners if some of those around them were as good. Successive managements also let them down. I don t think these lads will let anybody down and Cian O Neill has done what we thought he would. Barry Moran still sound in late September!

I m sure Mayo have done everything possible to give us the best chance tomorrow. It still may not be good enough because Donegal will have nailed their preparation as well. I m already proud of this Mayo team and I think I ll still be proud of them tomorrow night win or lose. Best of luck to my old soldiers, Clarkie, Caff, Kevin Mac, Ronan, Michael, Evan and the rest of the Mayo package.

Going to leave it at that. Getting a bit of emotional tbh. AI final day has a bit of baggage for me and not just about losing games. But it s great to be in an AI final again and these are the experiences of our lives.

Mind yerselves tomorrow those of ye on the road. And win or lose make sure ye get back to the hills or the heather in one piece.
+1
Starin out the window of me georgian hotel room at Doney boys doin the same across the road at meself.Ach,so all dreams,teams and roads lead to this,this city,to that stadium 2minutes away,and to the glory of the Gael,old Sam Magiure.Shiverin a bit,tis nippy,shakin, a little raw nerves and excitment,and maybe a small bit of distemper,a result of not a few pints of porter and paddy in the gresham lastnite.Im sorry its Donegal we,re takn the heads off,good cousins and neighbours and equal partners in centuries old wanderings in this world,but Mayo are making no return to the "house of pain".Our time there is done and done for good.The men of The Heather will "rise up" up on this day and take their rightful place in the pantheon of legends.

Maigh Eo Abu

Any craic

Aaron Boone

SuperDooperCooper