All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuconnacht

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 14, 2012, 10:55:15 PM
This shall be my only comment on this thread.

I attended the 1992 All-Ireland semi-final between these two counties and I can honestly say that it was the biggest waste of time and money in my life - it cost 3 punts to stand on the hill. The "football" played was shocking, but I fear this year's final will be worse.

I was offered two tickets anocht, turned them down. Won't be tuning in to watch her either. Good luck to those who do and to those competing, but life is too short.

No prediction will be offered. No interest in the outcome.
:o,Are you unit No2 of the Aontroim android confederation?,stunningly banal,you obviously dropped one of your knittin needles thus freeing a hand for that baloney,pick the needle back up and get back to production of your fifteenth Tam o Shanter of the week.jesus :o

cuconnacht

Quote from: cadence on September 15, 2012, 03:22:31 AM
drunken post, so apologies for the common sense...

i think this game will be a belter. we have two team who are very different from one another. wee're the counter attacking crowd and mayo tend to play a more open game. mayo forwards as a unit have kicked some great scores to date, whereas we've upon the bandstand crew but also our counterattackers. very drunk but this is fact. haha.
You were doin great there for the first half of that bottle of donegal mountain dew cadence,but i lost ya for the econd half ofth buideal :D.go ta bed Cadence ;D

cuconnacht

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 10, 2012, 02:44:49 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 10, 2012, 02:01:41 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 10, 2012, 12:01:54 AM
It's fierce kind of ye to send so many AI tickets to us Rossies in Ballagh, though.
I would hope that no true Rossie in Ballagh would touch one of those tickets. >:(
Leave the traitors to enjoy their lick arsin  :-*
Got to feel sorry for roscommon, i think mayo have a great chance, in fact there best chance of AI ever, and if they do it, they have to bring sam through roscommon to get to mayo, God help ye, thank God i'll be 5000 miles away by that time, but on the other side if Donegal win jees would i be more than delighted to welcome them through my homeland of Cliffoney.
Another delight from the sligo institute of lower technology,5000 miles is not enough,keep goin,Mayo boys will tell ya when ta stop :)and we,re talkin an integalactic journey at that

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on September 14, 2012, 10:47:40 PM
Outside of Mayo and Donegal - do any posters here think Mayo will win this?
I do. I think this is the year.

cadence

Quote from: cuconnacht on September 15, 2012, 06:51:13 AM
Quote from: cadence on September 15, 2012, 03:22:31 AM
drunken post, so apologies for the common sense...

i think this game will be a belter. we have two team who are very different from one another. wee're the counter attacking crowd and mayo tend to play a more open game. mayo forwards as a unit have kicked some great scores to date, whereas we've upon the bandstand crew but also our counterattackers. very drunk but this is fact. haha.
You were doin great there for the first half of that bottle of donegal mountain dew cadence,but i lost ya for the econd half ofth buideal :D.go ta bed Cadence ;D

;D  it's my first druken post here.... i'm quite proud of myself! feeling naw too bad today either. needed to get some drink training in for the trip over to dublin so last night's run out will do me no harm.

as an observation, first half of donegal mountain dew goes down easily enough. it's when the second half kicks in that reality starts to bite.

sans pessimism

Quote from: J70 on September 14, 2012, 04:32:18 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 13, 2012, 10:38:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 13, 2012, 10:13:39 PM
Will you stop with the "no one is giving us a chance" whinging. You're impressing  no one.

whoever 'you' is, is still right though. Look at the current Paddy Power odds below. Fairly damning for final with 2 new teams. And I expect that very few media punters will even tolerate Mayo. They ll be running away from us again like they were before the Dub match. So what? Doesn t bother me. At the end of the day players have to turn up and perform.

23rd Sep 2012  15:30  Donegal v Mayo

Live betting on this event   Home  4/9  Draw15/2  Away5/2 

Well it seems to bother a lot of your fellow countymen.

And since when did odds at the bookies mean a whole lot in terms of chances in one-off game?

Yes, most pundits are predicting a Donegal win so far. That doesn't mean they're writing Mayo off or dismissing their chances. As with ourselves against Cork and Kerry... most went for the two Munster counties when they had to call it beforehand, but they all reckoned we'd give it a good shot and not too many were shocked when we pulled it off.

This poor mouth shite is almost as bad as the ridiculous feigned outrage at the "presumptiousness" of Letterkenny CoC trying to hijack the Donegal homecoming. Completely unsincere!
calm bull ...CALM
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

sans pessimism

I attended the 1992 All-Ireland semi-final between these two counties and I can honestly say that it was the biggest waste of time and money in my life - it cost 3 punts to stand on the hill. The "football" played was shocking, but I fear this year's final will be worse.

I was offered two tickets anocht, turned them down. Won't be tuning in to watch her either. Good luck to those who do and to those competing, but life is too short.

What a sad bitter post-Give me Troika,Austerity etc any day
instead of listening to shite like this.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

J70

That's great altogether.

All of a Sludden

Rory Gallagher's YouTube sensation 'Jimmy's Winning Matches' will have to be performed solo on tour this week after his sidekick 'Jimmy' failed to get a visa to enter Ireland in time.

Former Revs frontman Gallagher, a native of Kilcar, Co Donegal, posted a song on the video-sharing website last month after his native county defeated Kerry 1-12 to 1-10 in the All-Ireland quarter-final.

Gallagher, a resident musician in Lanzarote, was joined for the song by a Senegalese native, nicknamed 'Jimmy Barry Murphy' after the Cork hurling manager, who portrayed an uncanny knack of naming a host of towns and villages from the four All-Ireland semi-finalists, Donegal, Dublin, Cork and Mayo.

Gallagher admitted the video was posted for fun but its popularity soared when it was shared on social networks Facebook and Twitter by Donegal players Mark McHugh and Paddy McBrearty, who are also from Kilcar.

In just over a month, the video has 335,000 YouTube hits, as well reaching number one in the Irish iTunes rock charts.

Gallagher has a number of stops in his native county this week on tour, as well as being Donegal's musical representative on RTE's pre-All-Ireland final show next Saturday, 'Up for the Match.'

Operating under the stage name 'Rory and the Island,' Gallagher will also perform live gigs next Saturday and Sunday in Dtwo NightClub, part of the Donegal-owned Harcourt Hotel in Dublin.

Should Jim McGuinness's side defeat Mayo in the All-Ireland final on Sunday week, Gallagher will also play at the team's post-match banquet in the Burlington Hotel, which will be screened live on 'The Sunday Game.'

Gallagher had hoped 'Jimmy' would be able to join him for the tour. But despite the assistance of North-West MEP Pat 'the Cope' Gallagher, his friend was unable to get a visa ahead of the final at such short notice, although he could make the trip next month.

"After lengthy discussions with Pat the Cope, unfortunately with the time frame being too short it was not possible to obtain a visa in time for Senegal Jimmy to come to Ireland next week," Gallagher said.

"Jimmy flew to Madrid to the Embassy of Senegal in hope of being able to do the paperwork from there but was advised he has to return to Senegal to obtain the visa required. Jimmy hopes to get to Donegal by mid-October and hopefully the celebration might be still going!

"I am totally gutted but would like to thank Pat the Cope for all the effort and everything would have been fine on the Irish side but unfortunately red tape wins again! I hope everybody will scream Jimmy's reply lines at the gigs next week, but I still say we should sneak him on a fishing boat into Killybegs under a blanket!"
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

IolarCoisCuain

If you don't want those two tickets, can I have them please? DM me - I'll drive up and everything, no bother. Just give me a shout.

From the Bunker

Not one person i talked to from outside Mayo (and i've been contacted by a few) thought there was even a chance that Mayo would win. Donegal are seen as invincible at this stage and Mayo are seen as the team that fall on their arse in Croker finals. Although the Mayo bit is true cos we have been alot of relatively recent AI Finals and fell on our arse. The Donegal bit of the statement is a bit of a hyperbole. In Donegals main games they have beaten Tyrone by 2, Kerry by 2 and Cork by 2 in all games they faded with the end line near. Mayo have had no test this year really bar the last 20 minutes against Dublin, where the old short comings seemed to appear. Leitrim,  Down and lesser degree Sligo were run outs. The Gas thing is that if Mayo win an AI this year, it will be seen as a handy one with them not having to play Roscommon, Galway,(Traditional neminisis in Connacht)  Tyrone, Armagh, Meath, Cork and Kerry (Modern traditional heavyweights). As with Mayo in the past , Donegal will be re-consigned to their own mantle should they not win.

western exile

Interesting insights from Jim McGuinness in today's Irish Times from an interview with Keith Duggan

Successive wins over Kerry and Cork has led to quick revisionism and a rush of compliments that are as exaggerated as the original criticism. McGuinness was largely unbothered by the criticism and he hasn't paid much heed to the praise either. Instead, he just concentrates on improving himself as a coach and his analysis of Mayo's semi-final win over Dublin offers a glimpse into how he sees and reads the game.

"Mayo moved the ball very early into the full-forward line. They seemed to play on the shoulder of the full backs. They delivered a lot of ball in over the top of the full backs into the corners. It was a different thing for Dublin. Rory O'Carroll and Michael Fitzsimons and these boys would normally play on the front foot: they deny the ball.

"But the quality of the ball in over the top meant they were caught a few times. Mayo were very big and strong around the middle of the park. They've good kickers. Even when the game was tight, they didn't go lateral: they continued to look for that 40-yard pass, so they are coached to be positive.

"And you'd have to give James Horan a lot of credit as well: he took Dublin on. He took them on in the kick outs. The full backs took the Dublin forwards on. It was three versus three a lot of the time. He showed faith in his men to do that job and they didn't shirk that responsibility.

"There were one or two goal chances for Dublin but for 70 minutes, they eyeballed them and got over the line. For me, in an apprehensive way, I was watching in the first half and I was thinking: Jesus, these boys are unplayable. Because there was a period there and it didn't matter if it was Donegal or Cork or Dublin or Kerry: Mayo were unplayable in the way they moved the ball early and direct and the accuracy of their shooting from outside the scoring range.

"So I was glad to see a drop off for a period because if that was over 70 minutes I think it would have been one of the greatest ever performances in Croke Park, being honest with you."

But by then, optimism in Donegal was tilting towards outright delirium.

The nonsense row about the homecoming parade illustrated just how feverish the expectation had become. People were talking about the All-Ireland final as if it was a formality: they had begun to absorb and believe the line that Donegal were 'unbeatable'. McGuinness knows that this loose talk is out there but he believes it is irrelevant.

"You can't control that. People in Donegal are on a high and you can't control that. You can't control that everyone thinks we are going to win the All-Ireland and Mayo hasn't a chance. The same in Mayo: you can't control that everyone there thinks Mayo will win and Donegal hasn't a chance. That is the job of a supporter, almost.

"For us, it is a different job. I don't know what James Horan is thinking at this moment in time and I'm hoping he doesn't know what I'm thinking. I don't believe our fellas will be apprehensive. Their focus is on tasks and goals.

"I think where you would get nervous would be if, as a player, you removed yourself from that and you put yourself in a situation where you are thinking: 'This is an All-Ireland final! I've never played in an All-Ireland before. I would love an All-Ireland medal! Jesus, the homecoming's going to be great if we can win it! Can you imagine Donegal Town? And I've got me cousin coming from America and it is going to be great to see him after the game!' . . . these are all things that mean nothing. Nothing!

"But if you hadn't got the other things to drive you and focus you, they could come into your thinking. But for us, the only thing our boys are focusing on is what we are coaching and working on and for that reason I have good faith that they will stick to the tried and tested. We have done that for two years and I don't see us changing for the final. I'm hoping!"

And he laughs.

See, this is new territory for McGuinness too. He has this saying: Every day is a school day.

the Deel Rover

I feel your pain Saffron . I did the same as you when Antrim played in the hurling Final only difference was there was no gaa board to put up my comments can't recall exactly what i did that day probably footed some turf or something.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hardy

No. I can't construct any scenario that sees Mayo winning this.

From the Bunker

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 15, 2012, 07:28:57 PM

I feel your pain Saffron . I did the same as you when Antrim played in the hurling Final only difference was there was no gaa board to put up my comments can't recall exactly what i did that day probably footed some turf or something.

Jez Deel, you were footing turf very late in the year. Must have been a bad summer!  ;) ;D