All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

criostlinn

Quote from: Hardy on September 15, 2012, 07:59:30 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 14, 2012, 10:47:40 PM
Outside of Mayo and Donegal - do any posters here think Mayo will win this?

No. I can't construct any scenario that sees Mayo winning this.

Really Hardy. No scenario whatsoever. You think Mayo are that bad and Donegal are that good that you cant come up with something.

This is even worse then I taught. Does anyone want my ticket

Mind you I remember similar things said about the mighty Meath team who bate Kerry by 15 points in 2001

From the Bunker

Quote from: criostlinn on September 15, 2012, 08:58:41 PM

Really Hardy. No scenario whatsoever. You think Mayo are that bad and Donegal are that good that you cant come with something.

This is even worse then I taught. Does anyone want my ticket

Mind you I remember similar things said about the mighty Meath team who bate Kerry by 15 points in 2001

Yeah, remember that! Meath Hammered Kerry. Kerry only scored 1 pint in the second half, Mike Frank with a couple of minutes to go (five in all). Galway scraped past an average Derry team with a luck goal from Clancy (I think).

highorlow

QuoteNot one person i talked to from outside Mayo (and i've been contacted by a few) thought there was even a chance that Mayo would win. Donegal are seen as invincible at this stage and Mayo are seen as the team that fall on their arse in Croker finals. Although the Mayo bit is true cos we have been alot of relatively recent AI Finals and fell on our arse. The Donegal bit of the statement is a bit of a hyperbole. In Donegals main games they have beaten Tyrone by 2, Kerry by 2 and Cork by 2 in all games they faded with the end line near. Mayo have had no test this year really bar the last 20 minutes against Dublin, where the old short comings seemed to appear. Leitrim,  Down and lesser degree Sligo were run outs. The Gas thing is that if Mayo win an AI this year, it will be seen as a handy one with them not having to play Roscommon, Galway,(Traditional neminisis in Connacht)  Tyrone, Armagh, Meath, Cork and Kerry (Modern traditional heavyweights). As with Mayo in the past , Donegal will be re-consigned to their own mantle should they not win.

Agree with every bit of that. I'd also add that it is almost a replica of '98. The reason it's so similar to '98 is that Kildare beat Dublin, Meath and Kerry who were the previous 3 AI winners on route to the final and yet had no pedigree in finals and the public hyped them out of proportion.

Similarly Donegal have no pedigree with only one all ireland appearance and one win yet wikipedia seem to think they are the Barcelona of the GAA; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donegal_GAA

The media in general have them down as unbeatable and moreso due to the opposition they face, a similar trait to the '98 final were are few aul gaelgors from west of the shannon were going to try and usurp micko and the horsey empire.

Needless to say us Mayo's have chips so large on each shoulder the tie board scaffold holding the chips in place is starting to sway but the construction of those chips has come with experience and pedigree. We have lost plenty of finals but we have always come back for more. The thing is the losing period for Mayo has got shorter and shorter. Shur we only lost the semi final for 20 minutes or so and got it back together again in the end.

Not only do I think that we will win the final, i believe we will do it in style. Not that this will be proving anyone wrong that sided with a Donegal win, it will be more Mayo reaping a Harvest they have sowed in Croker that began in 1985. 

That is ultimately the truth of the matter, which is probably a difficult truth for anyone outside the county of Mayo to comprehend. That's what makes the association so great.

I don't intend posting again until October; Prediction Mayo 3-17 - Donegal 1-11

p.s. best of luck to Donegal next year we will enjoy defending our title against such a great team ye were a great example of what can be achieved in a county in such a short space of time.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

cadence

Quote from: highorlow on September 15, 2012, 09:19:42 PM
QuoteNot one person i talked to from outside Mayo (and i've been contacted by a few) thought there was even a chance that Mayo would win. Donegal are seen as invincible at this stage and Mayo are seen as the team that fall on their arse in Croker finals. Although the Mayo bit is true cos we have been alot of relatively recent AI Finals and fell on our arse. The Donegal bit of the statement is a bit of a hyperbole. In Donegals main games they have beaten Tyrone by 2, Kerry by 2 and Cork by 2 in all games they faded with the end line near. Mayo have had no test this year really bar the last 20 minutes against Dublin, where the old short comings seemed to appear. Leitrim,  Down and lesser degree Sligo were run outs. The Gas thing is that if Mayo win an AI this year, it will be seen as a handy one with them not having to play Roscommon, Galway,(Traditional neminisis in Connacht)  Tyrone, Armagh, Meath, Cork and Kerry (Modern traditional heavyweights). As with Mayo in the past , Donegal will be re-consigned to their own mantle should they not win.

Agree with every bit of that. I'd also add that it is almost a replica of '98. The reason it's so similar to '98 is that Kildare beat Dublin, Meath and Kerry who were the previous 3 AI winners on route to the final and yet had no pedigree in finals and the public hyped them out of proportion.

Similarly Donegal have no pedigree with only one all ireland appearance and one win yet wikipedia seem to think they are the Barcelona of the GAA; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donegal_GAA

The media in general have them down as unbeatable and moreso due to the opposition they face, a similar trait to the '98 final were are few aul gaelgors from west of the shannon were going to try and usurp micko and the horsey empire.

Needless to say us Mayo's have chips so large on each shoulder the tie board scaffold holding the chips in place is starting to sway but the construction of those chips has come with experience and pedigree. We have lost plenty of finals but we have always come back for more. The thing is the losing period for Mayo has got shorter and shorter. Shur we only lost the semi final for 20 minutes or so and got it back together again in the end.

Not only do I think that we will win the final, i believe we will do it in style. Not that this will be proving anyone wrong that sided with a Donegal win, it will be more Mayo reaping a Harvest they have sowed in Croker that began in 1985. 

That is ultimately the truth of the matter, which is probably a difficult truth for anyone outside the county of Mayo to comprehend. That's what makes the association so great.

I don't intend posting again until October; Prediction Mayo 3-17 - Donegal 1-11

p.s. best of luck to Donegal next year we will enjoy defending our title against such a great team ye were a great example of what can be achieved in a county in such a short space of time.

if we don't defend properly, we could be on the end of a terrible hiding. i'm not so sure that the margin could be 12pts, but we'll need to have our work done on your attack to be in with a shout. def think we're up against it and mayo should be favs instead of us. best attack v best defence sort of a game.

seafoid

Really, hardy? They are playing last year's beaten semifinalists, not barcelona.

J70

WFT has some eejit comparing Donegal to Barcelona on Wikipedia got to do with anything remotely resembling serious analysis?!!

seafoid

It is reminiscent of 2001 when meath were unbackable. Sure all they had to do was turn up.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on September 14, 2012, 11:44:28 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 14, 2012, 10:55:15 PM
This shall be my only comment on this thread.

I attended the 1992 All-Ireland semi-final between these two counties and I can honestly say that it was the biggest waste of time and money in my life - it cost 3 punts to stand on the hill. The "football" played was shocking, but I fear this year's final will be worse.

I was offered two tickets anocht, turned them down. Won't be tuning in to watch her either. Good luck to those who do and to those competing, but life is too short.

No prediction will be offered. No interest in the outcome.

The strangest post I've read in a long time, care to enlighten us as to why you posted such pointless rubbish?  I was at that game too btw and it was awful.

On the thread and game, I think some of the Mayo boys are being more than a bit sensitive about Donegal's favouritism. I think Mayo have a decent chance and I've been impressed by there evolution into a genuine modern football force but there are obvious reasons to favour Donegal and I don't see any reason why a Mayo man would feel aggrieved by this.

Opinions don't matter, between now and throw in to we can all natter away and pretend we know it all. 70 minutes will decide this and once it's over we can all use hindsight to try and make out some of what we said before the game was intelligent.

To all the Mayo and Donegal folk, I say enjoy it as many of us will never get to experience it.

Speak for yourself, win lose or draw we'll be back again. Sure we just see this as something that happens every 5 years or so!  :P

drici

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 15, 2012, 10:30:15 PM

Speak for yourself, win lose or draw we'll be back again.

Aye, Saturday 6th October. Probably all head on the Friday and come back on the Sunday if it goes ahead.

ONeill

Can any of the Mayoites then explain how you can win this?

Donegal are fitter, mentally and physically tougher and have better footballers all over the field. If you deny any of those advantages for Donegal then ye are smoking something optimistic down there. I know there'll be 'disrespect' posted in response but it's not. Just my opinion which may be totally inaccurate in 8 days. I'll hold my hands up. I just have never witnessed a side as well drilled as a unit as this Donegal side. The Tyrone 05 side was much more talented individually but I think they'd have floundered on the McGuinness rock. They reduce sides to a mumbling mess by the 50 minute mark. There is a lot of hyperbole around them too and McGuinness will be loving it but they're a fine team.

There is a small, small chance that everything Mayo hit from 35 out will go over the bar. Possible. Miraculous but maybe. Perhaps Mayo will keep their heads when 3-4 don't go over and remain calm. Then perhaps Mayo will maintain the 150mph approach for 75 mins, because Donegal will. Mayo will need to keep getting up and hit them again. And then do it again, all of them. They cannot hide for 25 minutes as they did v Dublin. Possibly McFadden will kick over no placed balls, Murphy will be tied up again, the Donegal raiding game will be met head on, again for 75 minutes. Maybe Donegal's defensive machine will inexplicably fall to pieces on the big day. Perhaps big O'Shea will lord it on the biggest stage- play like he did as a minor and waltz around the Hills. Donegal chasing a game after a miraculous start by the Westerners? We don't really know how they'll react to a 4-5 point deficit in an AIF. Last year Tyrone led them 0-6 to 0-1 and Donegal were spinning. The referee's whistle saved them. McGuinness reminded them of their duties and they went out and strangled Tyrone, albeit with slight fortune and skulduggery.

Houl on, Mayo can do this. Up Mayo.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

highorlow

QuoteDonegal are fitter, mentally and physically tougher and have better footballers all over the field.

Well done, local paper standard.

QuoteI just have never witnessed a side as well drilled as a unit as this Donegal side. The Tyrone 05 side was much more talented individually but I think they'd have floundered on the McGuinness rock. They reduce sides to a mumbling mess by the 50 minute mark. There is a lot of hyperbole around them too and McGuinness will be loving it but they're a fine team.

Excellent - national media for you now my friend.

QuoteThere is a small, small chance that everything Mayo hit from 35 out will go over the bar. Possible. Miraculous but maybe. Perhaps Mayo will keep their heads when 3-4 don't go over and remain calm. Then perhaps Mayo will maintain the 150mph approach for 75 mins, because Donegal will. Mayo will need to keep getting up and hit them again. And then do it again, all of them. They cannot hide for 25 minutes as they did v Dublin. Possibly McFadden will kick over no placed balls, Murphy will be tied up again, the Donegal raiding game will be met head on, again for 75 minutes. Maybe Donegal's defensive machine will inexplicably fall to pieces on the big day.

International Stuff. Right up with Joe and Pet. You forgot to mention Murphy may calf again on the big day?

Quotefortune and skulduggery
If that's what it takes we will take it.

p.s This is my last post before the game Prediction Mayo 3:18 Donegal 1:15
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

ONeill

Can you not assemble some form of local/national/international defence as to how you envisage Mayo winning?

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: highorlow on September 15, 2012, 11:55:57 PM
QuoteDonegal are fitter, mentally and physically tougher and have better footballers all over the field.

Well done, local paper standard.

QuoteI just have never witnessed a side as well drilled as a unit as this Donegal side. The Tyrone 05 side was much more talented individually but I think they'd have floundered on the McGuinness rock. They reduce sides to a mumbling mess by the 50 minute mark. There is a lot of hyperbole around them too and McGuinness will be loving it but they're a fine team.

Excellent - national media for you now my friend.

QuoteThere is a small, small chance that everything Mayo hit from 35 out will go over the bar. Possible. Miraculous but maybe. Perhaps Mayo will keep their heads when 3-4 don't go over and remain calm. Then perhaps Mayo will maintain the 150mph approach for 75 mins, because Donegal will. Mayo will need to keep getting up and hit them again. And then do it again, all of them. They cannot hide for 25 minutes as they did v Dublin. Possibly McFadden will kick over no placed balls, Murphy will be tied up again, the Donegal raiding game will be met head on, again for 75 minutes. Maybe Donegal's defensive machine will inexplicably fall to pieces on the big day.

International Stuff. Right up with Joe and Pet. You forgot to mention Murphy may calf again on the big day?

Quotefortune and skulduggery
If that's what it takes we will take it.

p.s This is my last post before the game Prediction Mayo 3:18 Donegal 1:15
3:18?!  Some drinking done the night. :o

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on September 15, 2012, 11:27:14 PM
Can any of the Mayoites then explain how you can win this?

The three good teams Donegal beat this year are three tired teams. Tyrone, Cork and Kerry have been to the well a few times. This will be the freshest team they have met. How about that one?

Quote from: ONeill on September 15, 2012, 11:27:14 PM

Donegal are fitter, mentally and physically tougher and have better footballers all over the field.

Ah Donegal have good footballers, but so do Mayo. Alot of our good footballers especially the younger ones have had little or no media exposure, some could walk down a street in Mayo a barely get recognised. Mayo have had one high profile Match (v Dublin) where people really sat down to watch a full match. Where as Donegals games v Tyrone, Cork and Kerry were all high profile and made you more familiar with the Donegal stars. But just because you are familiar with players does not mean they are better than the ones you are not familiar with.

cuconnacht

Quote from: cadence on September 15, 2012, 02:37:58 PM
Quote from: cuconnacht on September 15, 2012, 06:51:13 AM
Quote from: cadence on September 15, 2012, 03:22:31 AM
drunken post, so apologies for the common sense...

i think this game will be a belter. we have two team who are very different from one another. wee're the counter attacking crowd and mayo tend to play a more open game. mayo forwards as a unit have kicked some great scores to date, whereas we've upon the bandstand crew but also our counterattackers. very drunk but this is fact. haha.
You were doin great there for the first half of that bottle of donegal mountain dew cadence,but i lost ya for the econd half ofth buideal :D.go ta bed Cadence ;D

;D  it's my first druken post here.... i'm quite proud of myself! feeling naw too bad today either. needed to get some drink training in for the trip over to dublin so last night's run out will do me no harm.

as an observation, first half of donegal mountain dew goes down easily enough. it's when the second half kicks in that reality starts to bite.
:)Im proud of ya too cadence,fierce strong stuff that donegal montain dew,shared a bottle recently with 2 aranmore men and a dunloe lad,we nearly built a boat to go back an take the country by storm but we couldnt find an axe thank god.Ye as well  as ourselves might be needing that trainin for a few years to come yet,feck the rest of the country.Any chance of sendin us ore a wee drop ;)(trade secret,drink the bottom half o the bottle first an y,ell be sound ;D