All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: donegal lad on September 14, 2012, 08:55:47 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 14, 2012, 08:20:18 PM
Had a gander into the Mayo Senior Football team open evening at the back of Elverys MacHale Park. Organisation was a bit all over the place. But the mood was good and the players very accommodating to all youngsters. Although these things are a hindrance to preparation, It is good for youngsters to mingle with their county hero's. Especially as most if not nearly all will only see the final on television.
Were many people t this just trying to compare what the buildup is like between both counties knw my mayo friends in college say better atmosphere in Donegal than mayo ahead of the final

Hard to tell, probably mostly from the local hinterland. I doubt many people travelled long distances. The crowd was young and for many this would be their first time being able to appreciate such an occasion.Unlike Donegal (who this is their first in a while) previous finals have depreciated the hype and the madness that used to go with us making an AI final. Still a good turnout of a couple a thousand (?)people.

cadence

Quote from: moysider on September 14, 2012, 09:23:24 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 14, 2012, 05:53:02 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 14, 2012, 04:36:39 PM
So who's giving the poor mouth?

Ok, poor choice of words maybe. More "woe are we, nobody rates us!" nonsense.

It s hardly nonsense when its obviously true!

In the second semi the refs final whistle was hardly dry when Colm O Rourke proclaimed Donegal practically unbeatable. Brolly announced Donegal the real winner that day. Would those 2 have been as dismissive if it was Dublin, Cork, Kerry or even other counties that cant even make finals these days that were going to be playing Donegal? Not a chance.

Seeing these guys inform public opinion in the main then very few people will 'rate' Mayo. More informed public opinion (minority that know the game and think for themselves) will give Mayo a chance but they ll be in a small minority I suspect.

I d say that some Mayo people are annoyed by this lack of rating because it really translates into a lack of respect for football in the county. Personally it doesn t bother me and to be honest I can understand how this attitude has developed over the years. But to say that this is poor mouth or woe is nonesense. Anyway I wouldn t be bothered about our state of mind down here or the fact that the county is less than ecstatic about the final with 9 days to go. Enjoy the build up and the game.

every donegal person i've spoken with is worried about mayo and if we can do it, more worried than against kerry or cork even. the opinions stem from the hiding you gave dublin first half. we know we're up against a quality team who will be ravenous when that ball is thrown in regardless of what the pundits say. and actually, it doesn't matter what mayo fans think of their own team's chances, this mayo team is top drawer and we'll need to play at our best to be in with a shout. murphy needs to find his scoring boots again too if we're going to do it i think. i can barelt think about this feckin game i'm that worried.

moysider

Quote from: cadence on September 14, 2012, 09:39:38 PM

In the second semi the refs final whistle was hardly dry when Colm O Rourke proclaimed Donegal practically unbeatable. Brolly announced Donegal the real winner that day. Would those 2 have been as dismissive if it was Dublin, Cork, Kerry or even other counties that cant even make finals these days that were going to be playing Donegal? Not a chance.

Seeing these guys inform public opinion in the main then very few people will 'rate' Mayo. More informed public opinion (minority that know the game and think for themselves) will give Mayo a chance but they ll be in a small minority I suspect.

I d say that some Mayo people are annoyed by this lack of rating because it really translates into a lack of respect for football in the county. Personally it doesn t bother me and to be honest I can understand how this attitude has developed over the years. But to say that this is poor mouth or woe is nonesense. Anyway I wouldn t be bothered about our state of mind down here or the fact that the county is less than ecstatic about the final with 9 days to go. Enjoy the build up and the game.

every donegal person i've spoken with is worried about mayo and if we can do it, more worried than against kerry or cork even. the opinions stem from the hiding you gave dublin first half. we know we're up against a quality team who will be ravenous when that ball is thrown in regardless of what the pundits say. and actually, it doesn't matter what mayo fans think of their own team's chances, this mayo team is top drawer and we'll need to play at our best to be in with a shout. murphy needs to find his scoring boots again too if we're going to do it i think. i can barelt think about this feckin game i'm that worried.

Imagine what you ll be like in a weeks time and 5 mins before throw-in  ;)

I was at the hurling final last Sunday and even as a neutral ( who wanted the herrin chokers to win) I was ready to calf. I kept thinking 'what the f**k am I going to be like for the football'? knowing well what the answer is from past experiences. Torture isn t the word for it. I wonder sometimes if I d be better off going for a walk on Enniscrone beach and getting the result afterwards. I know a man did that for the 96 replay ( his doc warned him not to go cause the drawn game had played hell with his heartbeat). When he eventually heard the result of the replay he didn t speak to anybody for 3 weeks :o

cadence

Quote from: moysider on September 14, 2012, 09:51:11 PM
Quote from: cadence on September 14, 2012, 09:39:38 PM

Imagine what you ll be like in a weeks time and 5 mins before throw-in  ;)

I was at the hurling final last Sunday and even as a neutral ( who wanted the herrin chokers to win) I was ready to calf. I kept thinking 'what the f**k am I going to be like for the football'? knowing well what the answer is from past experiences. Torture isn t the word for it. I wonder sometimes if I d be better off going for a walk on Enniscrone beach and getting the result afterwards. I know a man did that for the 96 replay ( his doc warned him not to go cause the drawn game had played hell with his heartbeat). When he eventually heard the result of the replay he didn t speak to anybody for 3 weeks :o

it's bad.

ONeill

Rumours about that McGuinness has the Donegal boys atein metal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on September 14, 2012, 09:51:11 PM

I have often felt pressure watching a game. But i'd never avoid watching a match. Jez it kills me if a game is not televised and i have to listen to it on the Radio, or worse still watch updates on Teletext.

J70

I think you're seriously insulting the intelligence of the average GAA supporter by suggesting that Brolly or O'Rourke's opinions are taken as gospel, especially as Colm O'Rourke has got most big predictions wrong in his column this year and Brolly is seemingly fascinated and taken with what McGuinness has achieved in terms of turning Donegal into an apparently remorseless, albeit talented, Borg collective. Anyone who has watched them can see that this is a serious Mayo team. Last year alone should have shown that (although I do remember some of your fellow members doing their nut, on this very board, about Horan after the league game in Ballyshannon earlier this year!).

I did read Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh somewhere this week giving Mayo an excellent chance, if that's any consolation. But just what do Mayo people want? That they be considered favourites? That the game is considered too close to call? Has anyone actually said that this will be a stroll for Donegal?

From the Bunker

Quote from: J70 on September 14, 2012, 10:31:54 PM

I think you're seriously insulting the intelligence of the average GAA supporter by suggesting that Brolly or O'Rourke's opinions are taken as gospel, especially as Colm O'Rourke has got most big predictions wrong in his column this year and Brolly is seemingly fascinated and taken with what McGuinness has achieved in terms of turning Donegal into an apparently remorseless, albeit talented, Borg collective. Anyone who has watched them can see that this is a serious Mayo team. Last year alone should have shown that (although I do remember some of your fellow members doing their nut, on this very board, about Horan after the league game in Ballyshannon earlier this year!).

I did read Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh somewhere this week giving Mayo an excellent chance, if that's any consolation. But just what do Mayo people want? That they be considered favourites? That the game is considered too close to call? Has anyone actually said that this will be a stroll for Donegal?

Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh is a gentleman and never puts down any team. I would take that comment with a pich of salt. Mícheál would say the same of any team, it's just not in his nature to be harsh.

ONeill

Outside of Mayo and Donegal - do any posters here think Mayo will win this?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

This shall be my only comment on this thread.

I attended the 1992 All-Ireland semi-final between these two counties and I can honestly say that it was the biggest waste of time and money in my life - it cost 3 punts to stand on the hill. The "football" played was shocking, but I fear this year's final will be worse.

I was offered two tickets anocht, turned them down. Won't be tuning in to watch her either. Good luck to those who do and to those competing, but life is too short.

No prediction will be offered. No interest in the outcome.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

From the Bunker

You were at a shite game 20 years ago. Sh#te happens. If you have no interest in the result of the game. What the hell are you doing here commenting on it? Feck off back to watching The Late Late Show!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 14, 2012, 04:11:00 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 14, 2012, 03:11:43 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 11, 2012, 04:00:50 PM
Updated ticket info....

http://overthebs.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/any-tickets-mayo-clubs-to-receive-more-tickets-than-ever-before/

Is that your blog a mhac?

Nope. (he hasn't the time to be writing blogs) ;)

Maybe he hasn't but then again he might- if you follow me. ;D
There are a few turns of phrase in that blog that makes me think ballinaman has more time to spare than he lets on about or maybe he's just a very fast writer.
To be serious, I like what I've read so far on this blog. Damn good analyst and puts points across cogently whoever writes it. Never heard of this one before but I'll be back.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

maigheo

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 14, 2012, 10:55:15 PM

I attended the 1992 All-Ireland semi-final between these two counties and I can honestly say that it was the biggest waste of time and money in my life - it cost 3 punts to stand on the hill. The "football" played was shocking, but I fear this year's final will be worse.

I was offered two tickets anocht, turned them down. Won't be tuning in to watch her either. Good luck to those who do and to those competing, but life is too short.

that has got to be the stupidest post of the year.

Zulu

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 14, 2012, 10:55:15 PM

The strangest post I've read in a long time, care to enlighten us as to why you posted such pointless rubbish?  I was at that game too btw and it was awful.

On the thread and game, I think some of the Mayo boys are being more than a bit sensitive about Donegal's favouritism. I think Mayo have a decent chance and I've been impressed by there evolution into a genuine modern football force but there are obvious reasons to favour Donegal and I don't see any reason why a Mayo man would feel aggrieved by this.

Opinions don't matter, between now and throw in to we can all natter away and pretend we know it all. 70 minutes will decide this and once it's over we can all use hindsight to try and make out some of what we said before the game was intelligent.

To all the Mayo and Donegal folk, I say enjoy it as many of us will never get to experience it.

cadence

drunken post, so apologies for the common sense...

i think this game will be a belter. we have two team who are very different from one another. wee're the counter attacking crowd and mayo tend to play a more open game. mayo forwards as a unit have kicked some great scores to date, whereas we've upon the bandstand crew but also our counterattackers. very drunk but this is fact. haha.