All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Rossfan on September 02, 2012, 07:59:55 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on September 02, 2012, 07:16:13 PM
The way Mayo collapsed in the second half and nearly let Dublin sneak it tells me the AIF result is a foregone conclusion.

Like today's and last Sunday's games were  ;)

Indeed, anyone who thinks the final is a foregone conclusion, for either side, doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

The only team both have played was Down, who they both hammered by almost the same margin.

Beyond that, its very hard to predict, as both teams will have the hunger and drive that they likes of Cork and Dublin were missing this year. Given the quality of Mayo's freetaking, Donegal will have to continue to keep the concession of scorable frees down, while Murphy will have to improve his consistency from frees at the other end. Midfield will be interesting. I honestly did not forsee our dominance there against Cork, and we'll need similar performances from Gallagher and Kavanagh and Bradley (this time) again, as well as the likes of Lacey, Thompson and McLoone cleaning up breaks.

I'm confident we can win it, but only with a top-class performance. Mayo are easily good enough to win it too if we don't produce it, and may be even if we do.

Gaffer

Quote from: Rossfan on September 02, 2012, 07:59:55 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on September 02, 2012, 07:16:13 PM
The way Mayo collapsed in the second half and nearly let Dublin sneak it tells me the AIF result is a foregone conclusion.

Like today's and last Sunday's games were  ;)

I didn t think todays or last weeks were foregone conclusions.

I do,  however believe that the final is, in Donegal's  favour.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Orangemac

It's hard to look past Donegal. The panic set in with Mayo from 50 minutes on,Donegal don't seem to do panic, apart from the last few minutes of the Kerry game.

Having said that the Donegal game is based around keeping the score tight and then hitting teams on the break and in the last 20 minutes that their fitness levels begin to tell. If someone got a 3/4 point lead on them at halftime it would be interesting to see how they would react.

Also no-one in the media seems to be giving Mayo a chance which is a great way to go into the final.

Onion Bag

I need a couple of tickets for the game, pm me and I will give u my details, hogan stand, lower tier, round centre pitch will do
Cheers in advance
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

omagh_gael

I took my brother in law (he's English) to the AI semi versus Wexford  in '08. Walking up Jones rd after the game he says we'll have to get on ticketmaster when we get home to get tickets for the final.  Ignorance  is bliss.

Best of luck to all you Mayo and Donegal  folks  on your quest for tickets.

johnpower

Onion Bag

Dublin are playing in the minors, so he will shout for them
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

From the Bunker

From the Bunker

'We won't talk about the final tonight, we'll let Mayo enjoy tonight' - Des on the Sunday Game  ;D

thebuzz

I can't remember an All Ireland Final where I didn't have an opinion about who I wanted to win. I always support the Ulster team but I'll still be happy if Mayo win. It's really good for football to have a new pairing.

seafoid

Quote from: Orangemac on September 02, 2012, 09:31:57 PM
It's hard to look past Donegal. The panic set in with Mayo from 50 minutes on,Donegal don't seem to do panic, apart from the last few minutes of the Kerry game.

Having said that the Donegal game is based around keeping the score tight and then hitting teams on the break and in the last 20 minutes that their fitness levels begin to tell. If someone got a 3/4 point lead on them at halftime it would be interesting to see how they would react.

Also no-one in the media seems to be giving Mayo a chance which is a great way to go into the final.
The last few minutes of the Cork game were leaky as well

Donegal will need to keep the free count down but it seems to be a significant part of the game they play.

Will the panjandrums support Mayo in the name of the face of fuball for the future and a victory for gaelic football ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlkFIO0xu2k

johnpower

Quote from: thebuzz on September 02, 2012, 10:37:51 PM
I can't remember an All Ireland Final where I didn't have an opinion about who I wanted to win. I always support the Ulster team but I'll still be happy if Mayo win. It's really good for football to have a new pairing.
I Agree great for football 2 new teams full of hunger and ability

SuperDooperCooper

Donegal smiling after the result today. It will be hard to convince them that they don't have it in the bag already (cue  @brendandevanny). I hope Mayo win to be honest; no fans deserve it more hopefully the house of pain to stops in three weeks!!!!! What is rare is wonderful - it should be a great build-up and while i want to see Mayo win; its great that the alternative is Donegal.   

BTW how the hell does Joe McQuillan get to ref in Croke Park on big days. He seemed to realise that he will have no A v B game to do in the last 20 mins when everything went for Dublin. Another inept referring display.

Captain Obvious

This year's All Ireland has been all about fitness and only the fittest will survive.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 02, 2012, 11:01:01 PM
This year's All Ireland has been all about fitness and only the fittest will survive.

So it is obviously survival of the fittest Captain.