All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

seafoid

I think Mayo will do it. Horan is different. They are an improving team and he has the smarts.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

blast05

If you were chairman or secretary of the Mayo county board, and thus have by and large inherited the huge debt, what would you do in this situation ? ..... use the fact that the county have got to an All-Ireland to try and maximise revenue ? or just distribute the tickets lock, stock and barrel to all the clubs with no strings attached.

I think it would be almost a dereliction of duty to not try and maximise revenue. Asking clubs to raise 2K for the option of securing 40 more tickets is significant but manageable. My club at home is a junior club and they will raise double 2K through raffle tickets and a social on Sat night .... so it is serving as a fund raising opportunity for the club too.
Incidentally, there are about 16K tickets listed on the Donegal website. Competing counties will get ~58K tickets (including minor teams) so Donegal are getting a lot more than what they have published on their website.

And finally, one consequence of the county boards approach i reckon is you will see more Mayo folk there then you otherwise might have at the game. I know my extended clan (12 of us at the semi) are having to be far more creative in the search for tickets this time round compared to any other All-Ireland cos of the uncertainty in getting tickets from the club. We'll get them as will many others. In the meantime the tickets will filter through in the clubs meaning more in total for Mayo supporters imo ! Bottom line will be that ultimately those that deserve tickets will get them ... as usual.

saffronandblue

Quote from: blast05 on September 11, 2012, 10:45:47 PM
If you were chairman or secretary of the Mayo county board, and thus have by and large inherited the huge debt, what would you do in this situation ? ..... use the fact that the county have got to an All-Ireland to try and maximise revenue ? or just distribute the tickets lock, stock and barrel to all the clubs with no strings attached.

I think it would be almost a dereliction of duty to not try and maximise revenue. Asking clubs to raise 2K for the option of securing 40 more tickets is significant but manageable. My club at home is a junior club and they will raise double 2K through raffle tickets and a social on Sat night .... so it is serving as a fund raising opportunity for the club too.
Incidentally, there are about 16K tickets listed on the Donegal website. Competing counties will get ~58K tickets (including minor teams) so Donegal are getting a lot more than what they have published on their website.

And finally, one consequence of the county boards approach i reckon is you will see more Mayo folk there then you otherwise might have at the game. I know my extended clan (12 of us at the semi) are having to be far more creative in the search for tickets this time round compared to any other All-Ireland cos of the uncertainty in getting tickets from the club. We'll get them as will many others. In the meantime the tickets will filter through in the clubs meaning more in total for Mayo supporters imo ! Bottom line will be that ultimately those that deserve tickets will get them ... as usual.

They should be truthful and honest with the rest of us and no more.  Is that too much to ask?

If you are right then the situation is far more serious than I envisaged at first.  The question remains, how many tickets did Mayo get and who is getting what??????  Leaks to the press says between 8,000 and 10,000 which is vague to say the least.  If Donegal CB knows, then Mayo CB knows so why all the lies, deceit or secrecy??????? You reckon it's 16,000.  At the moment the figures don't just stack up.  The don't even nearly stack up. 

Take my own club Knockmore for example.  They have enormous debt after adding 2 new pitches and a new centre with numerous new changing rooms etc.  They would be far better served clearing their own debt before trying to pay for the big white elephant in Castlebar.  You can only go to the well so many times when you are fundraising.  The hundreds of kids and families that use the facilities in Knockmore like in every other club across the country are better served by getting there own house in order first.

If the County Board think that short term gain is the way to go then they they are been very short sighted.  The long term prognosis for such thinking is not good, it's not good at all.  I have always bought the annual ticket as have numerous members of my clan, never again I'm afraid.

blast05

I'm missing something .... if you have an annual ticket then doesn't that entitle you to buy a ticket for the final ? So whats your issue ?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: blast05 on September 11, 2012, 11:17:31 PM
I'm missing something .... if you have an annual ticket then doesn't that entitle you to buy a ticket for the final ? So whats your issue ?

This is county board development tickets.

saffronandblue

My individual situation doesn't come into it at all.  Don't think I was giving that impression.  Likewise, I have not got a clue who is on our County Board so it's not a vendetta against anyone...... Like you, tickets will be got from all sources and where there is a will there is a way.

I have explained my point of view to the best of my ability in 2 posts.  I thought I had made my thoughts fairly clear.  Every one that I have spoken to during the past week have also questioned the CB's approach and that's putting it mildly.  I have got it off my chest at this stage so it's for others to judge in time if fairness prevails.  I appreciate your point of view while not agreeing with it.

donegal lad

Donegal county board got 14500 tickets from there first allocation just like the article above said ad I would of thought the gaa would be giving something similar to mayo 8000-10000 seems rather low compared to our allocation. Of that 14500 tickets clubs received roughly 12700 tickets

From the Bunker

The towns and Villages in Mayo are gradually beginning to put up the Good Luck Signs, Bunting and Flags! In the interest of Hype containment many have held back until now and some are waiting until the weekend. I know hype is often blamed on Mayo past performances in AI Finals. But i must say the buzz is beginning to kick in and it is rather enjoyable. God knows we have had more than our fair share of Finals in the past 15 years and each one was special (leading up to it at least). There is a waiting in the long grass (probably because the weather was so bad that feck all Silage or Hay was saved) in Mayo this year, nobody is giving us a chance. (No offence intended to our Neighbours but) If Galway had reached an AI Final beating reigning AI Champions Dublin, Down and winning Connacht two years in a row, as well as Beating Kerry earlier in a League semi in Croker and Beating reigning AI Champions Cork last year. Actually if Donegal had done the same, we'd hear the same value put on their successes as they are presently getting. I suppose what has people thinking Mayo will be a push over is their performance in last years AI Semi v Kerry and this years League Final v Cork where on both occasions they were seriously outclassed! Only thing is that on both occasions they were further on than Donegal in both competitions. Anyway have to go out to put up Bunting. Come on Mayo

Canalman

Sorry to pee on the yerra liteing coming from Mayo but having watched both teams I am convinced that Mayo will win on Sunday week and quiet convincingly at that.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Canalman on September 13, 2012, 04:30:52 PM
Sorry to pee on the yerra liteing coming from Mayo but having watched both teams I am convinced that Mayo will win on Sunday week and quiet convincingly at that.

I love it! :)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Orchardman

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 13, 2012, 03:45:29 PM
The towns and Villages in Mayo are gradually beginning to put up the Good Luck Signs, Bunting and Flags! In the interest of Hype containment many have held back until now and some are waiting until the weekend. I know hype is often blamed on Mayo past performances in AI Finals. But i must say the buzz is beginning to kick in and it is rather enjoyable. God knows we have had more than our fair share of Finals in the past 15 years and each one was special (leading up to it at least). There is a waiting in the long grass (probably because the weather was so bad that feck all Silage or Hay was saved) in Mayo this year, nobody is giving us a chance. (No offence intended to our Neighbours but) If Galway had reached an AI Final beating reigning AI Champions Dublin, Down and winning Connacht two years in a row, as well as Beating Kerry earlier in a League semi in Croker and Beating reigning AI Champions Cork last year. Actually if Donegal had done the same, we'd hear the same value put on their successes as they are presently getting. I suppose what has people thinking Mayo will be a push over is their performance in last years AI Semi v Kerry and this years League Final v Cork where on both occasions they were seriously outclassed! Only thing is that on both occasions they were further on than Donegal in both competitions. Anyway have to go out to put up Bunting. Come on Mayo

jesus bunker ur really grabbing the straws there lad, was the mayo semi final a week after the donegal one last year? i cant remember, but donegal were beat by a point by the champs, kerry had mayo beat with 20 mins to go last year

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Orchardman on September 13, 2012, 05:50:17 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 13, 2012, 03:45:29 PM

jesus bunker ur really grabbing the straws there lad, was the mayo semi final a week after the donegal one last year? i cant remember, but donegal were beat by a point by the champs, kerry had mayo beat with 20 mins to go last year

And here was me thinking last year was history. ::)