Na Cait v Gaillimh, AIF 9 Sept

Started by seafoid, August 20, 2012, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on September 13, 2012, 02:56:59 PM
Sure madness is a prerequisite at the Times as well as a liking for smoke and strong liquor ;)

I know someone who writes for the Times and it was a natural progression really as the vast majority of their Gaa coverage is rooted in various fora, no harm either as sites like this are where the real experts are ;)

I was reading the coverage of Sunday's match in the Times on Monday thinking the same thing. Journalism could do with a bit of a kick up in the arse in terms of covering matches.  There is a lot of depth to the game that they don't get to. The Sunday Game as well is quite superficial.

And the newspaper coverage can be very stale. Some parts haven't changed much over the years. But the punters are a lot better educated now.   

belleaqua

Quote from: seafoid on September 13, 2012, 03:58:26 PM
Quote from: homeofhurling8 on September 13, 2012, 02:56:59 PM
Sure madness is a prerequisite at the Times as well as a liking for smoke and strong liquor ;)

I know someone who writes for the Times and it was a natural progression really as the vast majority of their Gaa coverage is rooted in various fora, no harm either as sites like this are where the real experts are ;)

I was reading the coverage of Sunday's match in the Times on Monday thinking the same thing. Journalism could do with a bit of a kick up in the arse in terms of covering matches.  There is a lot of depth to the game that they don't get to. The Sunday Game as well is quite superficial.

And the newspaper coverage can be very stale. Some parts haven't changed much over the years. But the punters are a lot better educated now.

It's head wrecking stuff! It's like some of them are writing for an audience that didn't see the game-maybe only heard it on the radio. No real analysis of games at all and then trot out the usual old cliches and simple lines.

Same on the Sunday Game. Just watched the entire thing now and a couple of things would strike ya. One example being Loughnane on about the same old players storming into it, turning the game, etc. Out he comes with Tommy Walsh being marvelous. He was by no means bad but I never seen him as quiet. Felt that way live and backed up watching it again. What about Paul Murphy?? Hard to believe he wasn't one of the 3 nominations for MOTM.

Where is the bit of depth at all? Few things I would love a pundit or 'analyst' to bring up the last day but I hear no mention of by anyone:

Fergal Moore wrapped up Henry (admittedly in the corner) in the 1st half. Occur to anyone to question why was he not brought out to curtail him? Will he mark him in the replay?? (I am aware of the counter arguments and reasons not to but my point is that this is not even being brought up)

Why wasn't Niall Burke deployed over at the corner flag under the Hill to keep Brian Hogan out of the way for a few minutes given that Kilkenny were gone man to man and not for changing. Would this have curbed is influence or would Kilkenny break with their plan?

Did Cunningham suffer from Declan Ryan's affliction of Tommy Walsh obsession but get away with it due to circumstances?

Left Donnellan in around the square to keep Tommy out of it which is mind boggling given Donnellan is an out and out wing forward and the form he is in. Instead they were left cancelling each other out of the game. Only balls and frees Donnellan won were out where he was comfortable.

Secondly did this in turn cause Galway not to put Canning close to goal because it meant bringing Donnellan and Walsh out??

Would love to hear someone in the world of punditry hit on these few points and many more but I wont hold my breath.

Milltown Row2

Watched the game back last night for the first time. Slightly less intoxicated mind you. Serious tension around the pitch that day, it was a bit like a Grand Slam tennis match, lads missing shots they would never normally have missed and some great defensive stuff.

Can't wait for the final, may head down again, Galway will come away feeling more confident, and Kilkenny won't let Galway have the same start this time. Will be a lot more high scoring I think. Some strange decisions made by the Galway manager on hindsight, Burke should have been moved just, maybe out to the wing and Iarla Tannian was even better watching second time around, he put in two massive halves yesterday.

While Cody lost his rag with Cunningham was out of order, I'd love to know what Cunningham said to Cody for him to lose it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

I dunno about Kilkenny not allowing Galway the same start this time. I presume they didn't want it to happen the last day either.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2012, 10:44:19 AMWhile Cody lost his rag with Cunningham was out of order, I'd love to know what Cunningham said to Cody for him to lose it

It was the mouthing motion Cunningham made with his hand that tipped him over the edge I'd say.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

spuds

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 14, 2012, 12:44:53 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2012, 10:44:19 AMWhile Cody lost his rag with Cunningham was out of order, I'd love to know what Cunningham said to Cody for him to lose it

It was the mouthing motion Cunningham made with his hand that tipped him over the edge I'd say.
Heard Cunningham allegedly was shouting at Glennon to dive to get his free at the end.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

BennyCake

Just seen on Twitter that Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman were at the hurling final last weekend. What GAA club are they members of?!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on September 14, 2012, 12:43:47 PM
I dunno about Kilkenny not allowing Galway the same start this time. I presume they didn't want it to happen the last day either.

Yeah granted, but how Kilkenny keep going to the end is beyond me. Should the Cats start a match like how they finish a match they should win by 10 points
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2012, 09:07:58 PM

Yeah granted, but how Kilkenny keep going to the end is beyond me. Should the Cats start a match like how they finish a match they should win by 10 points
the dubs nearly caught mayo in the football. Very good teams can do that sort of thing but the cats seem to have a problem with galway's intensity. If galway can keep it going in the third quarter the next day it could be beyond the cats.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on September 14, 2012, 09:30:22 PM

the dubs nearly caught mayo in the football. Very good teams can do that sort of thing but the cats seem to have a problem with galway's intensity. If galway can keep it going in the third quarter the next day it could be beyond the cats.

Look if they improve their shot  percentages ie, taking the right shot choice they will do very well, though Kilkenny themselves missed a wile amount of shots that they normally never miss. This was all down to the intensity from, in fairness both defences

Croí na hÉireann

KK started better than Galway the last day imo, it was Joe's wonder goal that got them into the match. The score before that Smith had to take an unnecessary extra touch before he got their first point, they were the nervier of the two sides.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Asal Mor

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 14, 2012, 10:40:02 PM

That's right. Galway were terribly nervous in the first 6 or 7 minutes but thankfully Kilkenny hit some bad wides and Smith's point settled us.

seafoid and belleaqua are right about the same old cliched analysis. "A shootout between Joe and Henry". Both of them nominated for man of the match ahead of Paul Murphy which was wrong. He kept Kilkenny in it when Galway were on top.
KK started better than Galway the last day imo, it was Joe's wonder goal that got them into the match. The score before that Smith had to take an unnecessary extra touch before he got their first point, they were the nervier of the two sides.

Milltown Row2

Yeah they missed a lot of shots but Galway took their's when Smith got his point. But most of the exchanges were 50/50 After 6/7 minutes of the first half (leaving nearly 30!!) Galway had the better start!!!

imtommygunn

I thought Galway were very dominant in first half from 6/7 minutes till somewhere between 25 and 30 then they switched off. I think this was the period that gave Kilkenny the impetus for the second half.

Second half also I thought you could see the football background from Cunningham. Against cork and Kilkenny he took a lot of men back second half. You do wonder did he need this to dominate Kilkenny forwards as Galway did or were they robbing their own forwards. Every time Galway put a ball forward Kilkenny had spare men. While Paul murphy gets plaudits for such a good game it must be remembered he was effectively a free man for the duration of that game and was playing a sweeper role.

The next day will be very interesting. I can not see 5 Kilkenny forwards being so ineffective again. That being said hard to see Hayes being so quiet again. Though I would say tyrrell always looks like a boy who could be taken to the cleaners but never is so maybe he just did a good job.

Colombia

According to the Sunday Times Tyrell was Kilkenny's busiest player last Sunday. He's a lad that's rarely let them down on the big day, was very good against Tipp 2 years ago when their defence was being stretched.

Michael Fennelly was KK's biggest disappointment the last day, Richie Hogan was doing the work of 2 men for most of the day, wonder how Smith & Tannion will fare out in the midfield battle the next day.