Na Cait v Gaillimh, AIF 9 Sept

Started by seafoid, August 20, 2012, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeofhurling8

Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2012, 06:49:31 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0910/1224323800002.html

I can honestly say I would have done the same thing to take the point if in his position. It was high stakes at that stage but the percentage call was to take the point. It definitely would have won the match for Kilkenny if he went for a goal and got it.

Not only would he do the same thing but he did the same thing in the 88 final against Galway when he took a point from a second half penalty, although his auld memory is fading as he had to be reminded of it on Sunday night ;)

Sundays game reminded me very much of the 88 final as both were low scoring high tension affairs, I'm not sure i have ever felt so tense as a neutral in the last five minutes of a game, a draw was probably a fair result in the end, i wouldn't have a problem with the last free awarded as Kelly had been consistent throughout, he had awarded JJ a free earlier in almost exactly the same circumstances, the only time i have a problem with refs is when they make a decision completely out of keeping with how they reffed the game up to that point (Diarmuid Kirwan 09 anyone ?) but Kelly was very clear and consistent from the throw in and has to be commended for that.

It was a strange game in many ways as i don't think either team will be happy with their performance, only two Galway forwards scored and Kilkenny were destroyed in centrefield, its hard to imagine winning an All Ireland with so many malfunctioning parts, i don't buy into the line of thought that Galways chance is gone either, they have at least as many areas capable of improvement as Kilkenny have, my biggest worry,were i a Galway man, would be the fact that Barry Kelly wont be reffing the next day which will mean it will be one of the "let it flow " brigade and I'm afraid that will suit only one team, I'm not suggesting Kilkenny are any more cynical than any other team just that they have more experience of the "let it flow" type of refereeing that has been prevalent in the last few All-Irelands.

deiseach

Quote from: Declan on September 11, 2012, 10:25:18 AM
Excellent analysis by English. If himself and Henry thought it was the right call for the penalty who are we to argue ;)

Have keyboard, will argue

Asal Mor

One thing more I'd say about the should he have gone for it debate is that I can't remember Henry scoring that many penalties or 21 yard frees. Everyone remembers '09 but I can't remember too many more in big games for Kilkenny. I'm open to correction on this but he's never struck me as a really powerful striker of a dead ball like a DJ, a Joe Canning or a Paul Flynn. Of course DJ could turn a 21 yard free into a 15 yard free with that pick-up of his.

seafoid

Quote from: Declan on September 11, 2012, 10:25:18 AM
Excellent analysis by English. If himself and Henry thought it was the right call for the penalty who are we to argue ;)
It has been very interesting progress by Nicky English over the course of the season

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0707/1224319601475.html

The over-riding feeling about the championship now is that although the Cork-Tipp match in Páirc Uí Chaoimh was exciting, Kilkenny are performing at a different level and if they replicate that level of performance others are going to struggle.
It's not Kilkenny's fault but they're getting better and better, finding new quality players every year and of the other counties, only Tipperary are anywhere within reach.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0910/1224323800002.html
I was sure Kilkenny would win the Leinster final earlier in the year and I was wrong. I was less confident about yesterday's All-Ireland final but still thought they might do it. Now? I just don't know.

del_carroll

Seafoid ; When the facts change I change my mind.... what do you do? ... keynes.

seafoid

I think it's great. Punditry is a treacherous business really, now .

Premier Emperor

That's the difference between Nicky and Babs.  ;D
Nicky will subtly change his views, Babs will insist he was right all along and refuse to recognise the changing facts!

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on September 11, 2012, 07:28:59 PM
That's the difference between Nicky and Babs.  ;D
Nicky will subtly change his views, Babs will insist he was right all along and refuse to recognise the changing facts!

How dare you defame the man who single handedly brought Tipp out of the wilderness (in his own mind anyway!)

Premier Emperor

Quote from: seafoid on September 08, 2012, 10:31:44 PM

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0908/1224323741554.html

Hurling's wholesome undead defying gravity by hook or spook

PM O'SULLIVAN

Like sex, sport rarely does neatness. Tomorrow should surprise.

What a fecking pervert!

Hardy

Quote from: Premier Emperor on September 13, 2012, 07:51:01 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 08, 2012, 10:31:44 PM

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0908/1224323741554.html

Hurling's wholesome undead defying gravity by hook or spook

PM O'SULLIVAN

Like sex, sport rarely does neatness. Tomorrow should surprise.

What a fecking pervert!

God Almighty! Surely it's Vincent Hogan under a pseudonym?

homeofhurling8

[/quote]

God Almighty! Surely it's Vincent Hogan under a pseudonym?
[/quote]

Not quite Hardy but you may remember him as Arrigle from his many and varied meltdowns on AFR, himself and Trimble had a few right ding dongs back in the day.

Hardy

OK. I do remember the name Arrigle, but I was a very rare visitor to AFR. I think Arrigle might have been registered here, too at one time. Whatever, his prose has more flower power than the three days of Woodstock.

homeofhurling8

He was on here briefly Hardy, in fairness he is as sharp a judge of a hurler and hurling as Ive come across, some of his posts on Premierview, Afr and Kilkenny cats were among the best I've read on the subject, unfortunately he was as mad as a box of frogs though and ended up fighting battles on many fronts on various fora.

Hardy

Fair play to him, anyway, for getting a gig with the Irish Times. I don't think anyone else here has done that.

homeofhurling8

Sure madness is a prerequisite at the Times as well as a liking for smoke and strong liquor ;)

I know someone who writes for the Times and it was a natural progression really as the vast majority of their Gaa coverage is rooted in various fora, no harm either as sites like this are where the real experts are ;)