Mayo V Down- All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by Sam2011, July 28, 2012, 08:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: southdown on August 03, 2012, 06:16:23 PM
Ease up on Emmett, the lad is doing a great job with his analysis!
+1

I really enjoy the fact the analysis is based on tactics and broken down into the teams individual sectors and strength's and weaknesses are based on current actual events with both teams and not general historical myths. Hope you're reading this Messrs McGee , Brolly Spillane and Breheny

ardal

plus one.

When he referred to Downs one loss in the all Ireland series, maybe he was referring to finals, well that's what I thought, but then again maybe I'm as thick as 2 short planks

bennydorano

I'll be surprised if Mayo don't win by at least 3.

sans pessimism

Quote from: ross matt on August 03, 2012, 02:45:06 PM
Best of luck to Mayo. I hope and think they will win it. They've become a consistent, organised and hardened unit over the last 2 seasons. Wins in Croker against Cork in last year's championship and Kerry in this year's league will have given them more belief in their own ability on big days. The way they won the Connacht final was an ideal low profile way to come in to this weekend's match.
Thanks Rossie
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

western exile

Now that both teams have been named, I will make an attempt at the matchups...

Mayo full forward line is named as Varley, Moran, Doherty, but could end up as O'Connor, Moran, Conroy if rumours have any substance. Andy Moran is without doubt the quality forward and will ask serious questions of the Down defense. Although there are few who have positive things to say about the Down defense as a unit, there can be no blame put on the back three which have performed well in most games, but were left exposed and helpless in second half against Donegal, and were outstanding in their last game. O'Hagan, Gordon, Garvey, are arguably three of best full back line that Down have.
Advantage Down.

The Down half back line is the least stable with a different line up each game.  Niall McParland had a good league campaign before he broke his hand.  He is only recently back training and is making his first championship start. Kevin McKernan seems to have lost his touch this season and has been very loose in the games he has played so far.  These two will be up against Alan Dillon, who has been the most consistent performer for Mayo for a number of years, and Cillian O'Connor the reigning Young Footballer of the Year, or Jason Doherty who was last years goal poacher.
Advantage Mayo

Kevin McLoughlin v Benny McArdle.  I am looking forward to this one. As I posted on another thread Kevin McLoughlin is key to what Mayo do well. He wins breaking ball, can score long range points, is back defending, and creates scoring chances by running from deep. Benny McArdle is one of the most versatile of the Down footballers. He has successfully stepped in at full back when it was needed, he reads the game well at half back, and he can can break forward to score when the opportunity is on. The winning of this battle could go a long way towards the winning of the game.
Advantage Even.

In midfield Barry Moran has won consecutive MOTM awards but he will not find the going so easy up against Kalum King. And Ambrose Rodgers should be too much for Danny Geraghty.
Advantage Down
However, if Aidan O'Sé starts that would be a different matter. Then Advantage Even.

The Mayo wing half backs of  Lee Keegan and Colm Boyle are hard and fair tacklers, and their job will be to stop the two primary ball winners for Down, Aidan Carr and Conor Maginn.  If Danny Hughes had been fit enough to start, then I might have    said advantage Down, but since that is not the case,
Advantage Mayo.

Donal Vaughan v. Mark Poland will be another key battle that could contribute to the winning or losing of the game.  Vaughan can play hard and fair too, and is good on the ball, but Poland has proved he can take the big hits despite not being a big man, and is in great form playing some good football. I suspect that he is the sort of player that James Horan would love to have on his panel.
Advantage Even.

If given any supply of ball, the Down full forward line can be dangerous. If the teams were to line out as per the program it would leave a mismatch in regards both height and speed if Ger Cafferkey were to mark Conor Laverty.  In league games past, both Keith Higgins and Ger Cafferkey have done reasonably good jobs in keeping Benny Coulter quiet. This time I suspect that Cafferkey will take Coulter thus leaving Kevin Keane and Keith Higgins to pick up Laverty and Eoin McCartan.
Advantage Even

Goalkeepers
Advantage Mayo

The Dubs will get a chance to finish their pints. This one will go to extra time  ;)

emmetryan

Quote from: ardal on August 03, 2012, 07:02:26 PM
plus one.

When he referred to Downs one loss in the all Ireland series, maybe he was referring to finals, well that's what I thought, but then again maybe I'm as thick as 2 short planks

Nope that was just poor research on my part, was relying on memory when I had a book on the table that could have corrected me!

In all seriousness, I actually appreciate the criticism lads as I'm always trying to make the column better.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

ross4life

Quote from: emmetryan on August 03, 2012, 07:34:06 PM
plus one.

Nope that was just poor research on my part, was relying on memory when I had a book on the table that could have corrected me!

In all seriousness, I actually appreciate the criticism lads as I'm always trying to make the column better.

You have a bit to go before becoming the "proper punter" like Mr Keane. Seriously your previews,analysis are always worth a read and keep up the good work.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: western exile on August 03, 2012, 07:28:33 PM

The Dubs will get a chance to finish their pints. This one will go to extra time  ;)

No extra time for the senior quarter finals this year, Hyde park is ready and available for the replay  ;)

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Captain Obvious

Farrandeelin

You're a gas man western exile. I'm sure herself was standing there watching making sure you wrote overall advantage even. ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

western exile

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 03, 2012, 08:07:38 PM
You're a gas man western exile. I'm sure herself was standing there watching making sure you wrote overall advantage even. ;D
Can you call it Farrandeelin?
Last year, at the Galway Races, I was telling everyone who would listen (even the Kerry team doctor!) that Mayo would beat Cork in the quarter final at the weekend.   
The year before likewise I was convinced that Down would beat Kerry.
This year I am unconvinced by either team yet. I have a feeling that this game will be the making of one of them.  Win well and go into the semi final with the confidence and momentum coming at the right time.

Keane

Quote from: ross4life on August 03, 2012, 07:41:24 PM
Quote from: emmetryan on August 03, 2012, 07:34:06 PM
plus one.

You have a bit to go before becoming the "proper punter" like Mr Keane. Seriously your previews,analysis are always worth a read and keep up the good work.

We're writing for different audiences in fairness!

SHEEDY

good luck to the down players and management tomorrow. hope we can get a good start and really put it up to mayo. midfield is key. if we can dominate the middle third it'll set the platform for a victory. looking forward to it.
nil satis nisi optimum

blast05

Quote"In terms of Mayo supporters, sometimes they're the players' worst enemy, where they are continually playing an old record which is 'we never perform at Croke Park', or 'we never win against Kerry', or 'we can't win against the big teams on the big day in Croke Park'," says McNulty.

A comment like this from a sports psychologist who will take all the work he can get in the GAA sphere is shockingly out of touch. My experience is that that comment is about 6 years out of touch, i.e.: since we beat Dublin the semi-final that year. Sure we were hammered by Kerry in the next game but they were just by miles a better team.
Every time i have been in Croke Park since then watching Mayo, i expected that we would at least be competitive and there has never been a game where i thought there wasn't at least a reasonable chance of us winning.

In terms of records at Croke Park in say the last 8 years, i make our record in championship games in Croke Park from quarter finals on as played 12 .... won 5, drawn 2 and lost 5.
How many other teams have won more than 5 games from QF stage in Croke Park in that same time period .... certainly not f**king Kildare.