Mayo V Down- All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by Sam2011, July 28, 2012, 08:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

It is striking to see the previous post pointing out that Mayo have played 12 games at Croke Park from quarter finals onwards over the last eight years, and managed five wins, five defeats and two draws. Down's record from the same stage not just over eight years but overall since the quarter finals were introduced in 2001 is played three, won two and lost one (all in 2010).

Although both sides will include younger players tomorrow who are relatively new to this level, it is clear that the senor figures from Mayo are vastly more experienced in terms of big games at HQ than their Down counterparts. It cannot do Down any harm that we have travelled to Castlebar in the league for the last two seasons and returned with a win and a draw, but it is not quite the same thing.

There is a fair chance that both managers will make changes before the throw-in, and James has done so in all four of our championship matches this year. Down supporters will expect Liam Doyle to be in his thoughts, and, if any player in Ireland deserves some better fortune it is Doyler.

He captained Down to a minor All Ireland in 1999, and due firstly to our slump and then his dreadful run of injuries, he has not kicked a championship ball at Croke Park ever since. I think his only run-out at HQ was in a division two play-off against Offaly back in 2004.

There is always a fair amount of emotion behind Mayo at Croke Park but the way in which Ambrose, Benny, big Dan, Doyler and Eoin McCartan have recovered from major set-backs will mean that we are not lacking in motivation tomorrow. While we could be doing with Danny Hughes, we are in decent shape and ready to give it our best shot.

hondacounty

I hope both teams get to play to their respective potential tomorrow, if so we will have a cracker of a match. Which or whither comes through I expect to have a good shot at making the AIF. Safe travelling to all over the weekend.

Farrandeelin

I do agree that whoever wins this game will be primed for an upset in the semifinal. I haven't seen enough of Down to call the outcome, but any team that came back from a big margin against Monaghan and got over the 6 day turnover cannot be too bad. Hopefully Mayo can come out on top and us fans of the green and red, and more importsntly the players wearing the jerseys get another day out.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Safe journey to everyone spinning up today ordown the M1. Jones road quiet thus far...keep an auld eye out for a stray Mayo flag from a house ;)

wildrover

Think it has the potential to be a good open game of football. As a down fan my heart is hoping we can nick it, but my head is saying mayo by 4-5 points. The bookies have it right to my mind with their prices. The loss of Danny Hughes is huge - his importance to the team cannot be over-estimated. Declan Rooney played full game at midfield for Burren v Castlewellan last night so anybody who had harboured hopes to see him playing today will be disappointed.

highorlow

the only way we will lose this game is by beating ourselves which in the past we were very good at. horan thankfully has erased that flaw. mayo by a comfortable 6 - 8 point margin.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Any live streams for watching this one in England lads? Probably won't be able to make a pub to catch it.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

nephinman

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 04, 2012, 03:37:43 PM
Any live streams for watching this one in England lads? Probably won't be able to make a pub to catch it.

Know a guy catching it in a pub in hamburg so someones streaming it  ::)

Mike Tyson

Quote from: nephinman on August 04, 2012, 04:32:11 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 04, 2012, 03:37:43 PM

Know a guy catching it in a pub in hamburg so someones streaming it  ::)

Follow the instructions in here:
http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/28819-RTE-TG4-TV3-streams-using-a-proxy-server

But get your proxy from here:
http://spys.ru/free-proxy-list/IE/

You can then watch RTE player online.

ross4life

AOS,Conroy starting as expected i guess.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Collins

Feel sick as a dog, hopefully the boys will cheer me up. Down by 2. Come on.

Collins

Should have been a goal. Lack of composure there from Conor. Could easily have picked it up and sidestepped the keeper to bury it.

Collins

As per usual our defending in the full back line is shambolic.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Collins on August 04, 2012, 05:04:28 PM
As per usual our defending in the full back line is shambolic.

Yeah Down full back line shown up again.

Collins

Getting battered in midfield already which is making us play short. Although we should have a goal of our own, we're lucky to be only 4 behind. We have the wind this half too.