Mayo V Down- All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by Sam2011, July 28, 2012, 08:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

When can we expect the team to be announced?

Expecting at least one change. Big Aidan should start if he has the 70 mins in him ( if not they might hold him, figuring he might be more important to have at the end than at the begining), and he could start at the expense of a corner forward with O Connor moving inside.
Like most others I think Aidan is best at midfield but he could be named at 11 for this with Geraghty starting again. Geraghty was not replaced v Sligo until he got injured and it appears to me that he has been doing what management has required him to do ( the cfs haven t - one in particular), so I d be kinda surprised to see him dropped now.
What about Varley? Was he picked to try and kick frees from the right hand side last game? This is a bit of an issue now with the other fella not around. Can we expect to see him selected again at 13 with O Connor at 15? Just wonderin?

Chimley

moysider

Mayo News says Alan Murphy has been drafted into the squad and they re expecting AOS to start at midfield.

SOS, Freeman and Conroy all appear in with a good shout for selection. It ll be interesting to see what they do?

sans pessimism

Quote from: rosnarun on July 31, 2012, 12:51:58 PM
QuoteAs for the forward line. 4 places are obvious, Moran, O'Connor, McLoughlin and Dillon
has o connor  really done enough this year to Justify being included with the other 3 . I really dont think he has .  hes had two stinkers so far and his place must seriously be in doubt . If his frees were going well he may have been worth keeping for that but  some of his efforts were poor the last day and not what is required from a 1st choice Free taker.
Maybe its the  difficult second album and he need to spend a little longer in the studio bu the ised of swaping him around he place untill he look good is just silly .
so typical of Mayo watery supporters-A 20yr old hits a few loose frees
and the lynchmob is out.why dont you just go where your blond buddy has gone.
Stick to listening to Westlife and leave the football to real men
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

sans pessimism

Cil will be in his rightful corner on Saturday
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ballinaman

Got my hands on the ticket for Saturday. The Dublin v Laois game is printed in large font in bold while we're in nice small font below it.

Hope we can put on a good show for our cosmopolitan brethren. ::)

Declan

QuoteHope we can put on a good show for our cosmopolitan brethren

I'm sure you will. I reckon most of us hope you win Sam if we don't

Onlooker

Quote from: here comes 6 on July 29, 2012, 11:29:30 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 29, 2012, 05:35:46 AM
Jesus, you Down lads are very touchy altogether.
Touchy? Is that what you call it when posters start talking bullshit and you espond to the comment to correct them?? The ideal situation would have been a Tipp win yesterday and then the 26 could have play away and forgot about the Northern 6.. We wont go that easy as the Brits found out
I would say that the Brits found out that about Tipperary many years ago.  I was in Mullingar and the Down goal was certainly a freak score that would never happen again.  I will be in Croke Park on Saturday also and I expect Down to win and will be cheering for them.

In the Onion Bag

Not so much touchy as, as always super confident, despite our average team and no matter who we play (excepting The Super Cark). 

My only worry is that should we win on Sat we will face the Super Dubs not soft Kerry which would have been my preference.

Any way we will give it a good lash and win or lose we will enjoy ourselves.

moysider

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on July 31, 2012, 09:18:12 PM

Not so much touchy as, as always super confident, despite our average team and no matter who we play (excepting The Super Cark). 

My only worry is that should we win on Sat we will face the Super Dubs not soft Kerry which would have been my preference.

Any way we will give it a good lash and win or lose we will enjoy ourselves.

I ve noticed that down the years - no pun intended. Why is that? Curious.

RedandGreenSniper

Apparently O'Connor played corner-forward in the A v B game at the weekend so it's a question of who he will play at 11 and 15. Horan appears very reluctant to move Dillon from the wing which is a pity because a lot of guys could then come into contention for a wing spot but most of them wouldn't be effective at 11. I'm thinking Richie Feeney, Seamie O'Shea, Micheal Forde etc.

Apparently they've been looking at Doherty at 11. Freeman would be another contender. That would leave Conroy and Varley battling for a corner-forward spot. I take Moysider's point about a left footed free taker but Varley isn't playing well and isn't that dependable a free taker to justify starting him. I reckon Conroy will start. Looks like Aidan O'Shea will start at midfield too. I hope he has a full seventy in him, people shouldn't expect too much though. He has missed a huge chunk of training.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 31, 2012, 11:17:45 PM
Apparently O'Connor played corner-forward in the A v B game at the weekend so it's a question of who he will play at 11 and 15. Horan appears very reluctant to move Dillon from the wing which is a pity because a lot of guys could then come into contention for a wing spot but most of them wouldn't be effective at 11. I'm thinking Richie Feeney, Seamie O'Shea, Micheal Forde etc.

Apparently they've been looking at Doherty at 11. Freeman would be another contender. That would leave Conroy and Varley battling for a corner-forward spot. I take Moysider's point about a left footed free taker but Varley isn't playing well and isn't that dependable a free taker to justify starting him. I reckon Conroy will start. Looks like Aidan O'Shea will start at midfield too. I hope he has a full seventy in him, people shouldn't expect too much though. He has missed a huge chunk of training.
game for some reason.

To clarify - I was not suggesting that Varley should start. I m still trying to figure out why he was selected for the Sligo game and the only thing that I thought maybe was going through managements head ( not mine) was that we have nobody to kick a handy free on the right. You are right in that he s patchy enough with them anyway. But they did select him for the Sligo
If they are looking at Freeman and even more so Doherty at 11 kinda goes to show that 11 is not a pivital position as things stand. Our 3 established forwards - Andy, Dillon and Kevin Mac - will be kept well away from chf and kept in the positions they ve had best form in. We ll end up with another runner/worker at 11 if Cillian goes to 15. I posted already that we re not basing our game on a traditional chf and got ate on here but we ve been going that way.  My pref for 11 at this stage would be Seamus O Sé if he s fit.

Down on the other hand have one of the best natural 11 around. Poland will be a major concern. He will bring our 6 on a tour and he has the craft to do damage. But we dont have a player that can do that at 11 so no use codding ourselves. I reckon we ll be taking a different approach - well we have been anyway.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on July 31, 2012, 11:59:41 PM

game for some reason.

To clarify - I was not suggesting that Varley should start. I m still trying to figure out why he was selected for the Sligo game and the only thing that I thought maybe was going through managements head ( not mine) was that we have nobody to kick a handy free on the right. You are right in that he s patchy enough with them anyway. But they did select him for the Sligo
If they are looking at Freeman and even more so Doherty at 11 kinda goes to show that 11 is not a pivital position as things stand. Our 3 established forwards - Andy, Dillon and Kevin Mac - will be kept well away from chf and kept in the positions they ve had best form in. We ll end up with another runner/worker at 11 if Cillian goes to 15. I posted already that we re not basing our game on a traditional chf and got ate on here but we ve been going that way.  My pref for 11 at this stage would be Seamus O Sé if he s fit.

Down on the other hand have one of the best natural 11 around. Poland will be a major concern. He will bring our 6 on a tour and he has the craft to do damage. But we dont have a player that can do that at 11 so no use codding ourselves. I reckon we ll be taking a different approach - well we have been anyway.

Sorry, fair enough. I agree with you about Seamus O'Shea if he is fit but I'd prefer him on the wing. Vaughan on Poland would be a problem so I'd nip that in the bud straight away and put Boyle or, even better, Keegan on him.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 01, 2012, 12:10:24 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 31, 2012, 11:59:41 PM

game for some reason.

Sorry, fair enough. I agree with you about Seamus O'Shea if he is fit but I'd prefer him on the wing. Vaughan on Poland would be a problem so I'd nip that in the bud straight away and put Boyle or, even better, Keegan on him.

Agree.

Mayo management will earn their crust in this one. Without a doubt Down have the craft and confidence to do a job unless we get it right - something we ve failed dismally to do against them at underage for years.
This is a different championship from the provinces and lose the next day you wait at least another 12 months to get another shot in the last 8. I m not sure we re in a better place than Down heading into this. It s a massive test.

maigheo

just saw a team named on the Hogan stand, i know :)  Just 2 changes with AoShea coming into midfield and alan Freeman starting at 11.Danny Geraghty and Enda Varley dropping down to the bench.I know it is an old clichey but it is vital we get a good start on sunday as I suspect the Down players are super confidant of beating us and if they go ahead early by 3 or 4 points we may find it very difficult to pull them back.Mayo have to sow the seeds of doubt early in the minds of the Down players or else it will be another one of those days in croker. I would be happy enough with the team named but I would say Jason Doc will have to chip in with a few scores as he is running out of chances.