Mayo V Down- All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by Sam2011, July 28, 2012, 08:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Mayo are set up not all that unlike Donegal, solid back play, physically strong and at times cynical. Mayo are fully capable of doing what Donegal did to Down if their forwards actually click into gear, the likes of Dillion, O'Connor, Moran and maybe O'Shea have more scores in them than they showed against Sligo.

In alot of ways the Donegal comparison is apt, Mayo currently existing at a sort of half-way house between the 2011 Donegal and this year's version, solid at the back yet willing to commit men forward but not getting the scorelines that'll catch the media's eyes. They're not far off, that much is sure.

Mayo are never the team to bet the house on so Down will have a live chance but if Down supporters are going into the game expect a nice soft Connacht team gift-wrapped for their northern dissection they're in for a nasty surprise.

PAULD123

Quote from: Agent Orange on July 29, 2012, 12:27:13 AM
This could be a good game of football, neither side can defend so it will be a very open game of football. Mayo should win it, but they'll go no further. Down were very lucky to get out of Mullingar by all accounts, lucky goal and a very soft ref.

All accounts you say? Who's account would that be? Down led from start to finish the closest Tipp ever got, after going 5-0 down was within three points. The referee allowed Tipp some brutal challenges without sanction. It was only when they committed rugby tackles did he award a free.

Please define:

"All accounts" - RTE headline says "Down deservedly advance at Tipp's expense"

"Lucky to get out" - Led from start to finish???

What exactly was "soft" about the referee in Down's favour?

Please in the future don't allow your simple jealous bitterness get in the way of actually finding out some facts before you makes a comment about "All accounts"

Mike Sheehy

Jesus, you Down lads are very touchy altogether.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Agent Orange on July 29, 2012, 12:43:21 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 29, 2012, 12:30:23 AM
I don't know what Mayo side you've been watching but their backs are rock solid.

They didn't look very solid for long periods against Sligo. Neither Mayo or Down will be playing football on the third sunday in September so I wouldn't get too wound up about it.

nor will the other 6 - the final is 23rd Sept, not the 16th
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

here comes 6

Quote from: Agent Orange on July 29, 2012, 12:43:21 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 29, 2012, 12:30:23 AM
I don't know what Mayo side you've been watching but their backs are rock solid.

They didn't look very solid for long periods against Sligo. Neither Mayo or Down will be playing football on the third sunday in September so I wouldn't get too wound up about it.

As far as im aware the All-Ireland Football Final will be played on the 23rd September.... Wel done Agent Orange AGAIN you have made a balls up on a statement!!!!!!!!!!!  Suppose like it happens when you have No need to plan for events like this

Farrandeelin

Cut Agent Orange some slack will ye FFS. He may be correct in saying the winner of this game will go no further. Down, for me are hard to figure out. If they play like the 2nd half against Donegal, you'd imagine Mayo should win, yet they didn't get caught out with the turnaround so it will be interesting to say the least. I'm sure Down fans are hoping we play the way we did against Sligo cos they'll have a good chance then I feel. All on the day, however which is why I love sport so much.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

here comes 6

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 29, 2012, 05:35:46 AM
Jesus, you Down lads are very touchy altogether.
Touchy? Is that what you call it when posters start talking bullshit and you espond to the comment to correct them?? The ideal situation would have been a Tipp win yesterday and then the 26 could have play away and forgot about the Northern 6.. We wont go that easy as the Brits found out

From the Bunker

I'd say avoiding Cork again was the main thing for Down. Naturally Mayo are seen as the weaker of the Provincial winners. And to be honest that suits us fine. Our media attention going into the quarter finals has been the lowest of the  quarter finalists (Cork would run us close). But just because we are not on the Telly, not in the papers and not being mentioned by the pundits, does it mean that we suddenly have become a bad team.

snoopdog

As a Down man i am always optimistic of our chances but the  league game in castlebar was tipped in our favour when Mayo were reduced to 14.
Down have some very good players but also some very average players. We dont seem to have a system despite what people on this board think.
Wee James has obviously done something right , its not that long ago we were a div 3 outfit not able to get past the likes of Fermanagh or wicklow in championship, now for the 2nd year in 3 we are at the table with the fancied teams at the start of the championship apart from ourseleves and Laois.  a QF spot would have been snapped at earlier in year.
While we have a chance against Mayo i will try not to get carried away, if Mayo click like they did last year against Cork then we will struggle. mcVeigh will need to vary his kickouts against a big tall mayo midfield. Some interesting qf matches ahead with the favourites to progress being Dublin Mayo Cork an Donegal.

onefaircounty

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 28, 2012, 10:53:10 PM
John Maughan and Barney Rock on RTE earlier saying that Mayo will be delighted with that draw..we'll see.

You're not seriously going to suggest they wouldn't be delighted. Down and Laois are by far the two worst teams left, of course everyone wanted them.

NB - I'm not saying Down can't win either.

Dubh driocht

This indeed is a good draw for both teams.Mayo probably peaked too soon last year when they beat Cork and already this year they have beaten Kerry at HQ.They are provincial champions and would have wanted to avoid Kerry and Kildare so we won't take it as an insult that they were happy to draw us.We would not have wanted Cork ,the Dubs have an unfair advantage up until the final and we couldn't get Donegal. We know Mayo are a class outfit and they will want to avenge the league defeat as big O'Shea got lined early on.However, I don't think the second half of the Ulster final is a true reflection of where we are and I would be confident this game will go to the wire-it really will go to the hungrier team and at this stage I think we are.

Sam2011

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-Finals:

Saturday, August 4

Mayo v Down, Croke Park, 5pm

Dublin v Laois, Croke Park, 7pm

Sunday, August 5

Cork v Kildare, Croke Park, 2pm

Donegal v Kerry, Croke Park, 4pm

GAA Football All-Ireland Minor Championships

Saturday, August 4

Tipperary v Mayo, Croke Park, 3pm

Sunday, August 5

Roscommon v Kerry, Croke Park, 12pm

Dublin v Monaghan, Newry 5.30pm

Tyrone v Meath, Newry, 7.15pm

Captain Obvious

The Dublin supporters won't arrive into the ground until 655pm a half empty stadium for Down v Mayo?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 29, 2012, 08:16:55 PM
The Dublin supporters won't arrive into the ground until 655pm a half empty stadium for Down v Mayo?

Or lf you look at it another way half full!  :P

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 29, 2012, 08:16:55 PM

A silly post............................ you will find us Dubs are always on time, its the piss headed irish in the stands lowering pints into them who disrupt the games .......................... a mix of mayo, down, laois and dubs perhaps, harsh to tar all dubs with the one brush