Tipperary v Down

Started by Dinny Breen, July 22, 2012, 05:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Down were abysmal today and Munster counties are going well this year so hard to call when you factor in recovery and momentum,  will be interesting and history favours Tipperary.
#newbridgeornowhere

Onlooker

I don't know Dinny,  Down were semi finalists in Div 1 of the National League, while Tipp were relegated from Div. 3.  Tipp have improved an awful lot since then, but it is still a big gap to be bridged.  Having said that however, the last time Tipp and Down played in the Div. 3 NFL Final in Longford in 2009, Tipp won  by a point after extra time.

theticklemister

Tip will win.

Down are very inconsistent.

They put up half a good show today; but that'll be them for the year......mark my words!

Captain Obvious

Going to be difficult for Down to pick themselves up after today's demoralizing defeat and six days to recover won't help.

yellowcard

Down are a mediocre side but its still division one against division three. Would expect Down to get through this. Are these games neutral venues?

Incidentally is the QF a straight open draw, for instance could kerry play Cork again at this stage?

CorkMan

Quote from: yellowcard on July 22, 2012, 06:34:50 PM
Down are a mediocre side but its still division one against division three. Would expect Down to get through this. Are these games neutral venues?

Incidentally is the QF a straight open draw, for instance could kerry play Cork again at this stage?

I think rematches of games played earlier are to be avoided if at all possible.

seafoid

I hope down win so that they can beat kerry later if
required

Syferus

Quote from: CorkMan on July 22, 2012, 06:40:09 PM

I think rematches of games played earlier are to be avoided if at all possible.

It's an open draw!

optimus cheese

Was in Thurles yesterday and Tipp impressed me. If sort out their shooting could beat a dis-spirited Down surely

In the Onion Bag

Down are deffo there for the taking after yesterday's hammering.  Tipp's to loose.
Anyone know the venues for the next round.  BBC reported that the Down Tipp game is in CLones.  Surely that is not a neutral venue as far as Tipp are concerned?

borderfox

I think the provincial winners are kept apart until the semi finals (if they get there)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

PAULD123

Quote from: borderfox on July 23, 2012, 10:05:01 AM

I think the provincial winners are kept apart until the semi finals (if they get there)

For the quarter finals the 4th round qualifier winners will be drawn out to face a provincial finalist each, but there can not be a repeat of a provincial final. So say if Down beat Tipp then they could play Mayo, Dublin or Cork but not Donegal. Kerry could play Cork because they lost to them in a Munster semi, not the final so a re-match is possible.

After that, the winner of the Cork quarter final will play the winner of the Donegal quarter final.  The winner of the Dublin quarter final will play the winner of the Mayo quarter final

here comes 6

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on July 23, 2012, 09:23:16 AM
Down are deffo there for the taking after yesterday's hammering.  Tipp's to loose.
Anyone know the venues for the next round.  BBC reported that the Down Tipp game is in CLones.  Surely that is not a neutral venue as far as Tipp are concerned?
The BBC reported this??? I would listen to a word that comes out of their mouthjs cause they dont have a clue

Onlooker

Always loved going to Clones for Ulster Finals.  I have not been there for a good few years now, but can not see the Tipp v. Down game being played there.  It is much too far away from Tipperary to be even considered.   Really looking forward to the game, wherever it is played.   Tipp are really in bonus territory now and despite yesterday's result Down are still a Div. 1 team and for people of my generation Down are very much a county that we admire for all the great players that they produce.  I see that Paddy Power have Down at 2/5 and Tipp at 5/2 and I suppose that those odds are about right.  Should be a good day.

NP 76

Game 4 o clock saturday in Mullingar