Laois v Meath

Started by Dinny Breen, July 22, 2012, 05:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I accept your explanation that you're not questioning my statements. Though I don't know why you then finish with another accusation of "failing to back them up". I haven't failed in any way.

Look at 33 and a half minutes, roughly. 29 and a half minutes a bit dodgy too.

Ard-Rí

Quote from: laoislad on July 28, 2012, 06:33:36 PM
Well I guess ye weren't on form after all.......

That's true, we weren't on form. Not at all. But it takes nothing away from Laois' victory. Obviously into the bargain with underestimating ye, ye played a smart game, and played to win. I can only say that I'd love to see Meath doing the same thing, so well done, and the best of luck to ye. The cynical fouling was somewhat irritating as the game wore on, but that's the way most teams choose to play these days (and indeed, always have chosen to play).

From our point of view, we were very flat on saturday, lacking the intensity needed to win a championship match.  The comeback was once again, a nice throwback to days gone by, but we should never have had to. All that was required was to keep Laois to 3 points by half time, and let the wind do the work with the high ball in. We have made progress this year, and I don't accept that Banty has to go on the strength of the league relegation. The younger players will take a couple of years to come through, but I have to question the commitment of a lot of the older lads. Additionally, Brian Meade is not an inter-county midfielder. There's the makings of a good team there, but it needs time, and most of all, stability. That's the primary reason why the new management team of Banty, Giles and Evans must be allowed 3/4 years to develop a proper squad.

A victory against Laois was not going to be great cause for celebration either. I'd hate to see a developing team like this run into Donegal and ship a serious defeat. We have to work on playing to win, and if we do that, I remain very positive about the team's prospects. Obviously, the minute a team lose everyone begins to write the obituary, ala Pat Spillane's style of punditry. It is more sensible however, to accept that in Sport, anything can happen on any given day. That's the beauty of it. So, rather than point fingers, we can just shrug our shoulders and get on with it.

Long term failure is a justification for finger pointing. But this management team is relatively new, and need to be given a fair trial.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Jinxy

What a horrible day in Tullamore.
I'm watching the same players do the same stupid things for years.
Our problems pre-date Banty and without some tough decisions they will continue long after he's gone.
Go with the young lads, build a new team and pray that Shane O'Rourke is able to make a comeback.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

agorm

Quote from: Hardy on July 29, 2012, 05:56:23 PM
I accept your explanation that you're not questioning my statements. Though I don't know why you then finish with another accusation of "failing to back them up". I haven't failed in any way.

Will do.....We havent covered ourslelves in glory this year irrespective of our own uindividual interpretations of the various games.

I am certainly in two minds regarding the future for Meath football. There were some awful decisions by management yesterday and that might be enough to swing it against Banty. He has said he will make a statement so he might quit anyway.

It is probably back to drawing board, lets hope some continuity can be maintained with the current management structure. People say that improvements have been made and there has been some. The worry would be that not sufficient improvements have been made to bring us along and if we have any more injuries or fail to identify a decent midfield then it will continue to be barren for a long time.

Oh for the days in which our arguments were about a last minute free to win a final or over tickets for a big game!

ONeill

Great result for Gazzler all the same.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

laoislad

Quote from: Ard-Rí on July 29, 2012, 08:27:49 PM

That's true, we weren't on form. Not at all. But it takes nothing away from Laois' victory. Obviously into the bargain with underestimating ye, ye played a smart game, and played to win. I can only say that I'd love to see Meath doing the same thing, so well done, and the best of luck to ye. The cynical fouling was somewhat irritating as the game wore on, but that's the way most teams choose to play these days (and indeed, always have chosen to play).

Cynical fouling?
Meath men dropping to the ground like they were shot and rolling around like Ronaldo more like.
We've been considered a small weak team for a many a year it's about time we showed some fight.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on July 29, 2012, 09:55:02 PM
Great result for Gazzler all the same.
Sure was but he won't be too happy drawing the Dubs.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

agorm

Quote from: Hardy on July 29, 2012, 05:56:23 PM

Hi Hardy, I looked at those pieces of play. In both cases the player held his head initially but both Peadar Byrne and Graham Reilly got up quite quickly and I dont think it supports your assertion that Meath were indulging in these type of tactics and, by implication, they were influenced to do so. In fact, in the second incident Tony Davis said that it was a bad tackle and that Sheehan was lucky was lucky not to get a yellow.

However, I suppose that we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Some pretty stark statistics on the Sunday Game last night. Not one of 18 starting forwards from Meath, Clare and Sligo scored from play and Meath only kicked the ball 27 times. I think Banty will probably call it a day with Meath but you never know.

agorm

Quote from: laoislad on July 29, 2012, 10:06:33 PM

Cynical fouling?
Meath men dropping to the ground like they were shot and rolling around like Ronaldo more like.
We've been considered a small weak team for a many a year it's about time we showed some fight.

Laoislad, in my opinion that is bull$hit.
If you have facts to back up where players were rolling around Ronaldo like then post the examples here.

Ye played well and deserved your win but dont ruin the good feelings between the supporters with sarcastic comments like above and inaccurate statements calling Meath players cheats like this one.

Meath players were unfairly tagged with a reputation in the 90s way beyond what was appropriate and these reputations start with people firing out accusations without foundation and not being challenged.

Btw, also concentrate on Dublin instead of firing slurs at Meath players.

laoislad

Quote from: agorm on July 30, 2012, 09:34:51 AM

Cynical fouling?

If you have facts to back up where players were rolling around Ronaldo like then post the examples here.

Ye played well and deserved your win but dont ruin the good feelings between the supporters with sarcastic comments like above and inaccurate statements calling Meath players cheats like this one.

Meath players were unfairly tagged with a reputation in the 90s way beyond what was appropriate and these reputations start with people firing out accusations without foundation and not being challenged.

Btw, also concentrate symbolising Dublin instead of firing slurs at Meath players.

Post of the year!
Excellent stuff agorm you cheered me right up fair play to you.  :D
If yer Meath boys had have had half as much passion on Saturday they won have won handy.
Keep fighting the good fight though Banty agorm.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

agorm

Quote from: laoislad on July 30, 2012, 10:41:01 AM
Quote from: agorm on July 30, 2012, 09:34:51 AM

Cynical fouling?

Btw, also concentrate symbolising Dublin instead of firing slurs at Meath players.

Post of the year!
Excellent stuff agorm you cheered me right up fair play to you.  :D
If yer Meath boys had have had half as much passion on Saturday they won have won handy.
Keep fighting the good fight though Banty agorm.

No we wouldnt have won handy...we were crap. Cleaned out at midfield.

Bud Wiser

Laoislad/Boywonder  don't get dragged into this, keep under the radar. Tell these boys nothing. A Durrow junior football team would have beaten what we were playing around with so far and like I said in another post, and in fairness to the Dub's, Kildare, Laois and Galway along with Dublin are the only football counties now, the rest is basketball.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Ard-Rí

The Dubs are two of the remaining footballing counties left, they're so good.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Bud Wiser

QuoteThe Dubs are two of the remaining footballing counties left, they're so good.

I'll repost for you so as you are a newbie. I type as I talk, sorry.  What I was saying is that Dublin, when they play attacking football are watchable, easy on the eye so to speak.  Probably what I should have said was, "and in fairness to the Dub's,  Dublin, Kildare, Laois and Galway are the only football counties now, the rest is basketball"  Meath beat themselves playing the Shaquill O'Neill game against Dublin and now it seems they, Dublin, are unbeatable -

Until Saturday that is when Cluxton gets frustrated with the ball going over his head every five or six minutes and starts taking short kickouts with the swagger of David Beckham to take the two best midfielders in gaelic football out of the equation and the whole foooking basketball thingy starts all over again.  Jeeze, can't wait to see Clancy pointing at the scoreboard with five minutes left.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 30, 2012, 10:06:41 PM

I'll repost for you so as you are a newbie. I type as I talk, sorry.  What I was saying is that Dublin, when they play attacking football are watchable, easy on the eye so to speak.  Probably what I should have said was, "and in fairness to the Dub's,  Dublin, Kildare, Laois and Galway are the only football counties now, the rest is basketball"  Meath beat themselves playing the Shaquill O'Neill game against Dublin and now it seems they, Dublin, are unbeatable -

Until Saturday that is when Cluxton gets frustrated with the ball going over his head every five or six minutes and starts taking short kickouts with the swagger of David Beckham to take the two best midfielders in gaelic football out of the equation and the whole foooking basketball thingy starts all over again.  Jeeze, can't wait to see Clancy pointing at the scoreboard with five minutes left.

It's funny, I've been on this board about a year, and I'm still a newbie, whereas on other boards with high membership turnover, a year is a very long time indeed to have been around. I guess it just goes to show the longevity of the community here. Anyway, I digress.

I'm all for the catch and kick philosophy, but at the minute the arguments for are being taken to extreme lengths. That is of course, in direct response to the extreme "basketball" philosophy in practice throughout Ireland at the minute. My point being, a moderate solution encompassing both styles is the only natural way to play, and, I would argue, is the way we have always played here in Meath. Relatively recently Banty moved us to a more handpass based play style, which has obviously not been the most successful. But then again, there were mitigating factors in that outcome. It is still a pretty moderate style. Now, to link back with my first statement, I feel it an extreme view to criticise Meath for not kickpassing enough against Laois for example, when the conditions made kicking a near certainty for losing possession, at least in the first half. The are very few "basketball" counties, most counties have moderate styles which move more or less one way or the other depending on the opposition and the conditions. As you say, Cluxton will change the style for Dublin when things are not working out. I don't see that as a necessarily bad thing for Gaelic Football, in fact, it adds a tactical element that is not so obviously present in the one style or the other attitude.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí