Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: onefaircounty on July 22, 2012, 04:01:01 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2012, 01:43:11 PM
Quote from: nobackdoor on July 22, 2012, 01:22:05 PM
No harm with showing a bit of emotion after the game. Fair play to the Kingdom, they played on a different level to Tyrone yesterday.

Tyrone have been in freefall since '09, with no sign of any talent coming through. They seem to be heading the same way as Armagh and Derry, in fact the Ulster championship look to be in serious decline.

So the likes of Peter Harte, Clarke and McCurry don't count?

Seen much of McCurry have you?

'Talent coming through' by it's very definition means you're not going to have seen a whole hell of alot of them. Harte has the biggest and best resume but the other two have shown enough to say they're talented. Were you expecting a couple of Sean Cavanaghs to be birthed fully grown?

Nice try at being a smartarse, though.

AQMP

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 21, 2012, 11:01:06 PM
Quote from: HokeyPokey on July 21, 2012, 10:26:13 PM
Disappointed with today.

Don't think Kerry are as good as they looked nor Tyrone as bad. I think Tyrone thought that Kerry were feeling the pressure coming into the game and thought they could outfox Kerry. The approach and tactics from Tyrone were totally wrong. They played pretty lethargic and no-one was making any good runs forward. Tyrone didn't show the necessary intensity needed and Kerry took hold of the match.

For once unlike the teams of the past there does not seem to be a cohesive unit, it was like a jigsaw that didn't fit. Tactics haven't worked the last few years against the better teams who keep all the men back in their half. It failed in 2009 and last year I'd be reluctant to say it did in 2010 as we did everything but win. Something new needs to be tried. I think trying big Seán at 6 perhaps could be something to try. We definitely are still missing a big presence around the middle of the field as per usual and worryingly someone to pick up the scraps. We do have decent forwards in Coney, R. O'Neill and McCurry but we need a team.

Things need to shook up and perhaps new voices such as Monroe and Canavan should be brought into the backroom team, though not sure if Canavan would settle for second fiddle.

Don't think either side covered themselves in glory and more players should have seen shown the line, Coldrick seemed to respond to the crowd alot. I'm not sure how far Kerry will go, but I'm not convinced that they'll win sam, maybe a semi...

If the likes of yourself posted more, this place would be worthy of a lot more attention, good reasoned post. I disagree with you that Kerry "aren't as good as they looked" and don't really know what you mean? We have a decent defence and midfield and a top class forward line IMO and of the 3 main contenders for the All Ireland right now, Cork, Dublin and Donegal, I don't think we have anything to fear really. We know Cork and dublin inside out, Donegal will be a new experience alright, but we have, I think, better kickers of the ball than most teams which may be crucial if we play them.

From a Kerry perspective, we're happy with the win today, but when the dust settles, everyone will realise that we've only won a qualifier and that 2 weeks time in the 1/4 final (hopefully!) will be a huge battle. Some of the players were quite exuberant (overly so, some would argue) at the end..some people have expressed "surprise" at that...but there was huge pressure on them from within AND outside the county...if they lost, a few of them would have to retire with the prospect of having the "never beat Tyrone" line thrown at them for eternity aswell as losing at home and being the first Kerry team in 17 years to be beaten in Killarney in the c/ship, so I can understand the emotion...but they will be brought back to earth with a bang this week I'm sure.

As for today's game...Kerry by far the better team I thought, could have won by more. Tyrone hadn't a stitch of a forward really apart from young McCurry who is a good prospect. Stevie O'Neill obviously wasn't near fit, Mugsy was well contained, Penrose hardly touched the ball and was taken off. Strange to see such an non-effective Tyrone forward line. Coney & Kavanagh are huge losses obviously. Galvin and Donaghy had their best game since last year at least for us..great 2nd half by Donaghy. Most of the team played well, Darran Sull, Curtin and O'Leary made good impact from the bench aswell.

Coldrick really is an appalling ref, it has to be said...I hate criticising refs as they have a thankless job, but today is a good example of all that is wrong with modern refereeing. Guaranteed you will have McEneaney, Bannon and all the referee big-wigs telling us that he had a great game though.
Firstly, this GAA unique tradition of booking 2 people whenever there is an incident is a joke. Coldrick did this at least 4 times today I think. He funked out of a lot of decisions for both sides. Curtin's reckless hit at the end was at least as bad as Mcguigan's to be fair, so why wasn't it red....there was no consistency. Can't believe an experienced guy like Brian would be so silly though. Conor Gormley, on numerous occasions went in with the knee and also likes to catch people by the throat which should be a booking, but it went unpunished. Filthy late tackle on Gooch on the stand side aswell at one stage.
Kerry got a free in the first half when O'Donoghue fell over with nobody near him really. Darran O'Sullivan got a very soft free in the second half....I could go on, and on. Maybe none of the decisions changed the game, but down the line in bigger games they could make a difference, thats the problem.

Anyway, the real championship is underway and I'm just glad we're still there. would expect Kerry, Kildare, Meath and Down to be the 4 qualifiers facing the 4 provincial winners..thats where things will really hot up.

Lastly, fair play to Mickey Harte (and a few of the Tyrone players who we might not see again)...he took his time leaving the field this evening and stopped signing autographs and posing for photographs with people, which given what he and his family have gone through is a remarkable testament to the man's humanity if nothing else. Whether he stays or goes, he has been a brilliant manager and good for Gaelic Football.

Two good posts. 

Kerry by far the better team in a fairly ill-tempered, ill disciplined game.  Coldrick was appaling but it didn't affect the outcome.  Some other poster said it but I thought Tyrone looked lethargic and to use a modern term, "leggy".  They didn't look "up for it" for some reason.  I'm not sure how good Kerry are but I'd say they're one of the few good kick passing teams left in the Championship.  Anyway I think a 10 point victory was about right.  But respect to M Harte.

ONeill

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 22, 2012, 07:03:13 PM
Alot on here seem to be sore on Peter Harte too, its very difficult to play different positions match after match, and is easy to get lost in a setup where he continues to fill gaps in various positions. give the lad one position and let him play there a year or two in it. I feel he has the making of a great player but the way he been used at present helps no-one!

V true
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

TY14ED

Just back to base after the long haul to Killarney- great town for a game. Don't think I've ever seen a team as determined not to lose as the kingdom were y'day. The constant media nonsense about not beating Tyrone in 03 05 & 08 really irked this particular group of players & the way they celebrated each & every score highlighted how much beating the red hands means to Kerry. But there was a much more sinister side to proceedings y'day. In time we can analyse where to now for Tyrone & in what shape or form but I just want to highlight a few incidents from on & off the field in relation to Kerry.

Standing on the terrace before throw in you could sense an air of nervousness among the kerryfolk & very few felt confident enough to welcome us to their wonderful arena. As the game got underway we heard the following remarks shouted toward the Tyronemen (in no particular order)
- that's how the game should be played
- you dirty northern tramps
- mcmenamin you tr**p
- mcmenamin you scummy b@&£@&d
- take your f'ing tactics back to the north
- go home you northern b's
- typical Tyrone hitting off the ball

Now these comments didnt just come from one frustrated soul- they were from a variety of sources & seemed to get universal approval. As of Saturday I understood Why Paidi referred to them as f**king animals. They were baying for blood. I'm not here to defend Tyrone as they have been involved in their fair share of mischief over the years & a few guys pushed rules to the limit but the viciousness by many kerryfolk was quite intimidating. But back to the point I want to make- how do Kerry continue to have the image as saviours of the game? And the image as good wholesome traditional players?

The diving- o'donoghue for the first score, gooch & Donaghy on a regular basis, galvin in such disgraceful fashion & the master of them all, declan o'sullivan
The yapping- Donaghy is renowned for this to both umpires & refs( can't shut his mouth), jack on the line, & the master of them all Declan again
The off the ball hits- Tomas before the game started, Mark after the Tyrone goal, the endless dragging around the neck (which that coldrick imp refused to punish)& of course the master again dec, who continues to throw elbows into faces unpunished as he has done for years.

How is it that very few in the media seem prepared to take Kerry to task for their actions? Why the fear to challenge them? It's like that defeatist attitude of many teams when they face Kerry, they go in accepting that defeat is inevitable. Tyrone challenged this but the Kerry PR machine quickly tarnished their reputation& that has stuck with them through their successful period & now in their period of transition. If we can promote all that is good about Kerry - like how the o'se boys defend, or that drop of the shoulder by the gooch to leave defenders for dead, or the penetrating runs of Darren o sullivan, or the ability of the master himself declan o sullivan to beat a man & kick exquisite scores- then why do we shy away from highlighting the nasty, cynical side to their game. There is certainly no shying away when it's Tyrone, or Donegal last year, or Armagh in the 2000s.

So media people lets see you rise to the challenge where Kerry are involved-  praise when they play the football they so capable of playing & criticise when they play so cynically as indeed they are also very capable.

Finally when all was done & dusted and we were out on the pitch afterwards, there were many kind kerryfolk who spoke to us to wish us a safe journey home & they were very kind to Mickey Harte as he left the pitch. I hope this wasn't just because they had knocked us down to where we belong as gallant losers.

time ticking away

Quote from: TY14ED on July 23, 2012, 12:32:07 AM
Just back to base after the long haul to Killarney- great town for a game. Don't think I've ever seen a team as determined not to lose as the kingdom were y'day. The constant media nonsense about not beating Tyrone in 03 05 & 08 really irked this particular group of players & the way they celebrated each & every score highlighted how much beating the red hands means to Kerry. But there was a much more sinister side to proceedings y'day. In time we can analyse where to now for Tyrone & in what shape or form but I just want to highlight a few incidents from on & off the field in relation to Kerry.

Standing on the terrace before throw in you could sense an air of nervousness among the kerryfolk & very few felt confident enough to welcome us to their wonderful arena. As the game got underway we heard the following remarks shouted toward the Tyronemen (in no particular order)
- mcmenamin you tr**p

Now these comments didnt just come from one frustrated soul- they were from a variety of sources & seemed to get universal approval. As of Saturday I understood Why Paidi referred to them as f**king animals. They were baying for blood. I'm not here to defend Tyrone as they have been involved in their fair share of mischief over the years & a few guys pushed rules to the limit but the viciousness by many kerryfolk was quite intimidating. But back to the point I want to make- how do Kerry continue to have the image as saviours of the game? And the image as good wholesome traditional players?

The diving- o'donoghue for the first score, gooch & Donaghy on a regular basis, galvin in such disgraceful fashion & the master of them all, declan o'sullivan
The yapping- Donaghy is renowned for this to both umpires & refs( can't shut his mouth), jack on the line, & the master of them all Declan again
The off the ball hits- Tomas before the game started, Mark after the Tyrone goal, the endless dragging around the neck (which that coldrick imp refused to punish)& of course the master again dec, who continues to throw elbows into faces unpunished as he has done for years.

How is it that very few in the media seem prepared to take Kerry to task for their actions? Why the fear to challenge them? It's like that defeatist attitude of many teams when they face Kerry, they go in accepting that defeat is inevitable. Tyrone challenged this but the Kerry PR machine quickly tarnished their reputation& that has stuck with them through their successful period & now in their period of transition. If we can promote all that is good about Kerry - like how the o'se boys defend, or that drop of the shoulder by the gooch to leave defenders for dead, or the penetrating runs of Darren o sullivan, or the ability of the master himself declan o sullivan to beat a man & kick exquisite scores- then why do we shy away from highlighting the nasty, cynical side to their game. There is certainly no shying away when it's Tyrone, or Donegal last year, or Armagh in the 2000s.

So media people lets see you rise to the challenge where Kerry are involved-  praise when they play the football they so capable of playing & criticise when they play so cynically as indeed they are also very capable.

Finally when all was done & dusted and we were out on the pitch afterwards, there were many kind kerryfolk who spoke to us to wish us a safe journey home & they were very kind to Mickey Harte as he left the pitch. I hope this wasn't just because they had knocked us down to where we belong as gallant losers.

i was in killarney and this is the most reasoned post i have ever read on this site, no dramatics
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

time ticking away

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 22, 2012, 08:56:23 PM
I predicted in the Donegal vs Tyrone match thread a few weeks ago after the game that Tyrone would get hammered again in a similar vein to the Dublin game last year when they met one of the "big guns" this year and yesterday proved that. 

Tyrone at the moment are playing a horrible brand of football at the minute, lets be honest about that. 
Short kick outs to a man standing on his own 20 meter line and then try and work the ball up to the scoring position by "bursting" through tackles and short passing it back or sideroads is not only hard to watch, its actually unreasonable to ask players to do this. 
There is no way you can get fit enough to play that type of game, by the time tyrone players worked the ball up to a scoring position, they where that wrecked from taking tackles and punishing running that in the end up most of the attacks where easily over-turned and Kerry broke with space everywhere which the kerry forwards completely revelled in.

Tyrone have given up the old age adage that you let the BALL DO THE WORK.   Tyrone are doing all the work for the ball.  Its horrible, physically & mentally exhausting  and highly unintelligent football.  Really think Tyrone need to look at their style of play and change it otherwise they will continue to go backwards even in a transition period.

Conor Gormley has been a superb defender over the last ten years and is a huge reason why Tyrone have been as sucessful as they have. I expect those from outside Tyrone to dislike him but for the rest........................ nice boys dont win all irelands, be thankful for the players we got 
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

tyroneman

When a legend from the county describes his own supporters as "animals" that's a fair enough clue.....

Kerry have got, and still get away with murder on the pitch by virtue of thier success and the constant media hype of them being the purists of Gaelic football.

Never mind the slabbering, elbows, diving, blanket defence, late hits, off the ball digs etc

Gooch can do as he pleases, safe in the knowledge he will never get the line. And Coldrick just gave the perfect example on Sat. McGuigan - off, Curtin - yellow for a much more dangerous act. The difference? One was done by a Kerry player and Cav got up, instead of lying poleaxed for 5 min.

Kerry are no worse than Tyrone or Armagh have been at times with the bad behaviour but lets not kid on they are any better either.

nobackdoor

Quote from: AQMP on July 22, 2012, 09:28:07 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 21, 2012, 11:01:06 PM
Quote from: HokeyPokey on July 21, 2012, 10:26:13 PM
Disappointed with today.

Don't think Kerry are as good as they looked nor Tyrone as bad. I think Tyrone thought that Kerry were feeling the pressure coming into the game and thought they could outfox Kerry. The approach and tactics from Tyrone were totally wrong. They played pretty lethargic and no-one was making any good runs forward. Tyrone didn't show the necessary intensity needed and Kerry took hold of the match.

For once unlike the teams of the past there does not seem to be a cohesive unit, it was like a jigsaw that didn't fit. Tactics haven't worked the last few years against the better teams who keep all the men back in their half. It failed in 2009 and last year I'd be reluctant to say it did in 2010 as we did everything but win. Something new needs to be tried. I think trying big Seán at 6 perhaps could be something to try. We definitely are still missing a big presence around the middle of the field as per usual and worryingly someone to pick up the scraps. We do have decent forwards in Coney, R. O'Neill and McCurry but we need a team.

Things need to shook up and perhaps new voices such as Monroe and Canavan should be brought into the backroom team, though not sure if Canavan would settle for second fiddle.

Don't think either side covered themselves in glory and more players should have seen shown the line, Coldrick seemed to respond to the crowd alot. I'm not sure how far Kerry will go, but I'm not convinced that they'll win sam, maybe a semi...

If the likes of yourself posted more, this place would be worthy of a lot more attention, good reasoned post. I disagree with you that Kerry "aren't as good as they looked" and don't really know what you mean? We have a decent defence and midfield and a top class forward line IMO and of the 3 main contenders for the All Ireland right now, Cork, Dublin and Donegal, I don't think we have anything to fear really. We know Cork and dublin inside out, Donegal will be a new experience alright, but we have, I think, better kickers of the ball than most teams which may be crucial if we play them.

From a Kerry perspective, we're happy with the win today, but when the dust settles, everyone will realise that we've only won a qualifier and that 2 weeks time in the 1/4 final (hopefully!) will be a huge battle. Some of the players were quite exuberant (overly so, some would argue) at the end..some people have expressed "surprise" at that...but there was huge pressure on them from within AND outside the county...if they lost, a few of them would have to retire with the prospect of having the "never beat Tyrone" line thrown at them for eternity aswell as losing at home and being the first Kerry team in 17 years to be beaten in Killarney in the c/ship, so I can understand the emotion...but they will be brought back to earth with a bang this week I'm sure.

As for today's game...Kerry by far the better team I thought, could have won by more. Tyrone hadn't a stitch of a forward really apart from young McCurry who is a good prospect. Stevie O'Neill obviously wasn't near fit, Mugsy was well contained, Penrose hardly touched the ball and was taken off. Strange to see such an non-effective Tyrone forward line. Coney & Kavanagh are huge losses obviously. Galvin and Donaghy had their best game since last year at least for us..great 2nd half by Donaghy. Most of the team played well, Darran Sull, Curtin and O'Leary made good impact from the bench aswell.

Coldrick really is an appalling ref, it has to be said...I hate criticising refs as they have a thankless job, but today is a good example of all that is wrong with modern refereeing. Guaranteed you will have McEneaney, Bannon and all the referee big-wigs telling us that he had a great game though.
Firstly, this GAA unique tradition of booking 2 people whenever there is an incident is a joke. Coldrick did this at least 4 times today I think. He funked out of a lot of decisions for both sides. Curtin's reckless hit at the end was at least as bad as Mcguigan's to be fair, so why wasn't it red....there was no consistency. Can't believe an experienced guy like Brian would be so silly though. Conor Gormley, on numerous occasions went in with the knee and also likes to catch people by the throat which should be a booking, but it went unpunished. Filthy late tackle on Gooch on the stand side aswell at one stage.
Kerry got a free in the first half when O'Donoghue fell over with nobody near him really. Darran O'Sullivan got a very soft free in the second half....I could go on, and on. Maybe none of the decisions changed the game, but down the line in bigger games they could make a difference, thats the problem.

Anyway, the real championship is underway and I'm just glad we're still there. would expect Kerry, Kildare, Meath and Down to be the 4 qualifiers facing the 4 provincial winners..thats where things will really hot up.

Lastly, fair play to Mickey Harte (and a few of the Tyrone players who we might not see again)...he took his time leaving the field this evening and stopped signing autographs and posing for photographs with people, which given what he and his family have gone through is a remarkable testament to the man's humanity if nothing else. Whether he stays or goes, he has been a brilliant manager and good for Gaelic Football.

Two good posts. 

Kerry by far the better team in a fairly ill-tempered, ill disciplined game.  Coldrick was appaling but it didn't affect the outcome.  Some other poster said it but I thought Tyrone looked lethargic and to use a modern term, "leggy".  They didn't look "up for it" for some reason.  I'm not sure how good Kerry are but I'd say they're one of the few good kick passing teams left in the Championship.  Anyway I think a 10 point victory was about right.  But respect to M Harte.

Look lad, when real talent breaks through, you sit up and take notice. There'e no such thing in the Tyrone team at the moment.
The backdoor has ruined it

nrico2006

Mickey Harte and Tyrone changed football in 2003, but things have evolved and teams have moved on while Tyrone have not.  Is it time for a new voice in the Tyrone changing rooms with new ideas, are Tyrone to one dimensional with no plan B?  Harte has loyalty to a lot of players and there are others who don't seem to get a look in really.  We haven't had a proper ball winner at midfield in years, yet why has one of if not the best fielder in the County (Ronan Lafferty) been given a chance?  Time for SON, Mugsy, Ricey and Gormley to retire, still have quality but long past their best and are all missing the pace that really is required to be top drawer today.  There is lots of good forwards in the county, who again don't seem to get much of a chance.  Johnny Lafferty is a great talent but has hardly got a run out, yet others such as the two Donnelly's have got a lot more game time this summer without actually doing anything of note, some players seem to get a lot of game time to make a name for themselves yet do very little, while others get a half here or there and unless they score 1-6 they will not get a chance again.  Tyrone are so reluctant to kick the ball early into the forwards, it was like watching the Division 2 league final all over again.  The footballers in Tyrone are as skilful as any other County in the Country, yet why are they not playing the football 40 or 50 yards and continuously running into trouble.  The first half on Saturday showed the benefits of this, as Kerry launched attack after attack from defence via the foot pass, the result was that it made it look that Kerry's forwards had all the space in the world yet by the time Tyrone carried the ball up the field 3/4 of Kerry's team were in and around them, suffocating them.  The kicked ball will travel 40 or 50 yards quicker than any man could carry it.  People will say Tyrone's attack is blunt (it did look it on Saturday), but the root of the problem is the style of play which is taking too long to get into the oppositions scoring zone.

People say that Tyrone are in for a hard few years, but on the other hand I think that Tyrone are not at that bad a place.  Division one football next year will help going forward, while on the other hand look where Dublin were after Kerry in 2009 or even Meath in 2010 and look at them now.  The same for Donegal, they were a disgrace two years ago and made the headlines for all the wrong reasons after their players were joking and laughing about after losing to Armagh, look where they are now.  Are there better players in Donegal or Dublin than in Tyrone?  No.  But their coaching and training systems have significantly moved on to a place that make Tyrone's tactics look prehistoric.  Tyrone have a lot of younger players coming through from the 2008 and 2010 All Ireland Minor winning teams, some that have already gotten game time.  Saturday's game will stand to Mattie Donnelly, Clarke, McCurry, Harte etc.  People say there are no replacements for the 2003/5/8 stars that have now gone, but it takes two or three seasons for most newcomers to really find their feet at Senior Inter-County level.  The golden generation all came on the scene around 99/00 and look at some of the experiences they had to endure before they reached the top, and they were not the game changers they would become in their first season or two.  Tyrone really need to completely reshape their team next year, go for youth and get rid of the older players.  Coney has matured into a top class forward; Ronan O'Neill looks to have all the attributes to be another.  But a major search through the County is required to get the best players on board.  It is noticeable to look at the Donegal and Dublin players physiques that their physical training is making a difference, is it now a minimum requirement that teams train twice some days?     
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

heffo

jack on the line

How O'Connor can concentrate on the game with the amount of he spends in the ear of the linesman and ref I don't know. He's constanlty badgering them trying to get fellas yellow carded or not get a Kerry player yellow carded.

It's no wonder the rest of the Kerry players are at it out the field when they see the sideline.

Whishtup

Quote from: time ticking away on July 23, 2012, 01:26:16 AM

- mcmenamin you tr**p

i was in killarney and this is the most reasoned post i have ever read on this site, no dramatics

Being at the game, what struck me that all the slabbering from the crowd wasn't banter-wasn't a bit of slagging and wasn't craic.  They meant every word.  Normally in a crowd, you get a few balloons losing the head-this was an inversion of the typical GAA crowd-mass vitriol with a few daycent people here and there.  I'd have the Dubs or Armagh any day over that lot-at least it's a bit of craic.  No banter on the way in or out-just looks of disdain.   

Some oul fart tapped me on the shoulder near the end and said "Yerra, you may bring back Canavan, Dooher, etc., yerra, etc."...to which I replied, "Sure them boys are sick of batin' ye-didn't they beat ye in...etc, etc".
He went forty shades of purple.

Was interesting to experience such an electric atmosphere but not one I would bring a child or family into.

O'Connor didn't cover himself in glory either slabberin' on the sideline the whole way through.

To whom it may concern

I agree with the comment that we've been in decline since Cork in 2009. I recall after the final win in 2008 that I thought that was the last drop squeezed out of a lot of those players. Saturday showed up how important those contributions were from Dooher at his best between 2003-2008 and Sean Cavanagh.

The reality is that since 2008, very few if any of the players, younger ones included, have improved or kicked on. Although Sean was injured, the reality is that he has went sideways since then. Justin McMahon was been injured and Tommy McGuigan hasn't got back to that level even before his injury. Penrose has established himself in the team but is he really all star class at the highest level? In reality, that is the level players need to be attaining if Tyrone are to be contending for All Irelands again.

Saturday confirmed that a lot of the players in their mid-20s aren't good enough. Sean O'Neill, Colm Cavanagh and Mark Donnelly aren't good enough at that level. I though Colm lost his man for the Kerry goal. You look at Dublin 2010 and 2011, Donegal 2012 and Kerry 2012; he has been found wanting. Mark Donnelly handled ball but nothing came off it. He lacks the killer instinct of a forward. He repeatedly turned away from goal and lacks that killer penetrative passing ability for a No.11. It's a pity he wasn't introduced to the panel 5-6 years ago. At 29 next year, it's unlikely he'll improve further.

As for next year, it's time to look offering players an opportunity who offer you the best chance long term of surviving against the Kerrys, Dublins, Corks, Kildares and Donegals. Those are the top 5 teams in Country. We're in the 6-10 bracket. For the league and McKenna Cup, there should be a focus on playing McKenna et al even if that means relegation in a tough Division 1. At the same stage of development of the 98 class, O'Neill had won an All Star at 11, McAnallen had won Young Player of the Year and represented Ulster and Ireland. How many of the 08 class have even threatened to do that? Peter Harte for all his potential and displays in the league, simply hasn't produced it on the big stage these last few years. The other like McNabb and Coney have been injured although the potential is there. A team like this should be conisdered forearly next year with a view for next year's championship; McConnell, Quinn, Clarke, Carlin, McNabb, Justin McMahon, Harte, Gormley, Cassidy, McKenna, S O'Neill, Joe, Penrose, Coney and R O'Neill

blewuporstuffed

i agree with all that in those last few posts,
as hostile a crowd as i have ever seen at a gaa game.
As you say , tyrone are no angels (nor are any top level team) but the kerry cynical fouling was a level above anything i have ever seen from tyrone, yet it certainly wont be highlighted in the media the way negative stuff was written about tryone.
kerry fully derseved the victory yesterday,we are quite abit behind them now at this stage, but i'm sure that victory wont be tainted in the media, the way the seemed to try and taint any victory we had over them

colderick was appalling and shouldnt referee another game all summer
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

sheamy

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 23, 2012, 09:49:14 AM
i agree with all that in those last few posts,
as hostile a crowd as i have ever seen at a gaa game.
As you say , tyrone are no angels (nor are any top level team) but the kerry cynical fouling was a level above anything i have ever seen from tyrone, yet it certainly wont be highlighted in the media the way negative stuff was written about tryone.
kerry fully derseved the victory yesterday,we are quite abit behind them now at this stage, but i'm sure that victory wont be tainted in the media, the way the seemed to try and taint any victory we had over them

colderick was appalling and shouldnt referee another game all summer

I saw on twitter Ewan McKenna noted it and he said he has an article coming out this week on Kerry's fouling. Over 20 fouls on the Tyrone full back line.

tc_manchester

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 22, 2012, 08:56:23 PM
I predicted in the Donegal vs Tyrone match thread a few weeks ago after the game that Tyrone would get hammered again in a similar vein to the Dublin game last year when they met one of the "big guns" this year and yesterday proved that. 

Tyrone at the moment are playing a horrible brand of football at the minute, lets be honest about that. 
Short kick outs to a man standing on his own 20 meter line and then try and work the ball up to the scoring position by "bursting" through tackles and short passing it back or sideroads is not only hard to watch, its actually unreasonable to ask players to do this. 
There is no way you can get fit enough to play that type of game, by the time tyrone players worked the ball up to a scoring position, they where that wrecked from taking tackles and punishing running that in the end up most of the attacks where easily over-turned and Kerry broke with space everywhere which the kerry forwards completely revelled in.

Tyrone have given up the old age adage that you let the BALL DO THE WORK.   Tyrone are doing all the work for the ball.  Its horrible, physically & mentally exhausting  and highly unintelligent football.  Really think Tyrone need to look at their style of play and change it otherwise they will continue to go backwards even in a transition period.

You have hit the nail on the head - Tyrone have had 2 trouncings in 2 years. The running game looks good in the league because the opposition are not up to the speed required but come the championship we are found out. By the time the ball gets to midfield the 2 man full forward line will have 5 men marking them so they never see the ball. To receive any ball then they usually have to run to the wing and are about 40 yards out where they end up turning into 3 defenders. There was only one decent ball played in all game to the front of goal - McCurry turned and hit a fine point. By having 2 legitimate half forwards (i.e. not having them play half back) we might find that we will score more and might actually find it easier to defend because the opposition half backs will actually have to do their primary job instead of bombing forward. Tyrone at their best in the last decade mixed good foot passing with a good running game. The running game will always fail in Croke Park because by the last ten minutes you'll have run out a gas and have nobody to hit the ball to since you'll be all sitting back in defense (as the pundits would say 'you've lost your shape').

I do believe that the players are good enough - given a full hand you would have to pick a full forward line from Coney, The 2 O'Neills, McCurry, Mulligan and Penrose but  given the system we have now you could have Frankie Donnelly, Frank McGuigan and Peter the Great in there and your half backs will still score more than them.