Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nobackdoor

There's not much between them all. You wouldn't have a top team with the pick from the 3 of them.
The backdoor has ruined it

nobackdoor

Quote from: EC Unique on July 22, 2012, 02:11:29 PM
Tyrone are still way ahead of Armagh who in turn are miles ahead of Derry.

How many players from the 3 counties would get on the Kerry team?

rrhf

There are free scoring forwards in Tyrone there are midfielders in Tyrone. I expect it's time to try to bring in high scoring  island and clonoe players.  Best midfielders, in Tyrone Hughes, dmore, mc Gahan coal island,

Whishtup

I would agree that, with the shift of power from 'up the country' towards the lough, we have to start looking at these boys.  Unbelievable that Clonoe boys never seem to make it as they've been around the top for a long time now.

onefaircounty

Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2012, 01:43:11 PM
Quote from: nobackdoor on July 22, 2012, 01:22:05 PM
No harm with showing a bit of emotion after the game. Fair play to the Kingdom, they played on a different level to Tyrone yesterday.

Tyrone have been in freefall since '09, with no sign of any talent coming through. They seem to be heading the same way as Armagh and Derry, in fact the Ulster championship look to be in serious decline.

So the likes of Peter Harte, Clarke and McCurry don't count?

Seen much of McCurry have you?

bigtogs

Quote from: onefaircounty on July 22, 2012, 04:01:01 PM
No harm with showing a bit of emotion after the game. Fair play to the Kingdom, they played on a different level to Tyrone yesterday.

Tyrone have been in freefall since '09, with no sign of any talent coming through. They seem to be heading the same way as Armagh and Derry, in fact the Ulster championship look to be in serious decline.

i think the type off forwards  tyrone have coming through we need to find a bakk winninf full forward to introduce  the scoring forwards into the game tyrone have became too predictible over the last few years.

nobackdoor

Quote from: onefaircounty on July 22, 2012, 04:01:01 PM

Was he playing yesterday?

barelegs

Tyrone need to address a number of issues now that they have been papering over for a few years in terms of the team and the overall set up.

1) Midfield Diamond

Tyrone haven't had a proper 6-8-9-11 diamond for the last 3-4 years. Conor Gormley wears 6 but normall plays at 2 and the centre back position has been fluid. With such a young team at the minute we need to get a traditional 6 into the space.

Tyrone's midfield has been a patchwork job for the last few years and we haven't had the players to cut it at the top level against the best teams. Kevin Hughes needs to be replaced in particular. It's alright having nice footballer but I want one of my midfielders to put himself infront of everything that moves and spoils the opposition. The kind of player who would do this unfashionable work are the boys that'll get over looked because they can't play 3 or 4 positions. I'd rather one man who did his job brilliantly than one who could do ok in 3 or 4 positions

Brian McGuigan is going to be a very difficult man to replace. Mark Donnelly's workrate can't be faulted and I think he still has a place in the team but it isn't at 11. Tyrone have no one to organise or direct their attacks. Needs addressed.

2) Man Marker

We haven't got a man marker in a similar mould to Conor Gormley of 2008. Once again it's going to be very difficult to find one but we need to start trying to.

3) New forwards

Tyrone are missing the kind of top class forwards at the minute who will kick you 6 or 7 points a game consistently. We've been blessed with Peter Canavan and Stephen O'Neill but these kind of players don't grow on trees. Two points from our forwards yesterday was embarrassing. We need an injection of pace in the full forward line and a man who can win his own ball. I'd be hopeful about Coney and Ronan O'Neill but Mickey needs to take a look at Tyrone club football. There are fella's wracking up big scores week in and week out who deserve to get a chance.

Oh and a few fella's willing to take on a bit of leadership wouldn't go amiss

Wildweasel74

In all fairness o`Sullivan went down terribly easy, but then again did Brian not do the same thing when a big down midfielder got the line for throwing a ball at him. Easy to highlight O`Sullivan for playacting which i cant stand, but Mcguigan done the same thing ending in Greg mccartan getting sent off.So some of the Tyrone men need take the blinkers off when they have one of there own players sent off in similar situation. As for Ricey and Gormley, how Tyrone have went for years without mickey harte having a serious word with them i never know. Totally undisciplined and i believe the 2 players are a big reason Tyrone are not overly popular in ulster and further afield. You would not have seen a 5yr throw the ball into a player stomach after scoring a goal, complete idiot with very little class. Not sure, but i though i even seen ricey kick the ball into the stand to stop the Kerry player take a free after it rolled out over the line. its like something you seen in a u-12 game.

Wildweasel74

Alot on here seem to be sore on Peter Harte too, its very difficult to play different positions match after match, and is easy to get lost in a setup where he continues to fill gaps in various positions. give the lad one position and let him play there a year or two in it. I feel he has the making of a great player but the way he been used at present helps no-one!

rrhf

2 very good posts.  I think only Donegal can stop the kingdom now.

lenny

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 22, 2012, 06:57:00 PM
In all fairness o`Sullivan went down terribly easy, but then again did Brian not do the same thing when a big down midfielder got the line for throwing a ball at him. Easy to highlight O`Sullivan for playacting which i cant stand, but Mcguigan done the same thing ending in Greg mccartan getting sent off.So some of the Tyrone men need take the blinkers off when they have one of there own players sent off in similar situation. As for Ricey and Gormley, how Tyrone have went for years without mickey harte having a serious word with them i never know. Totally undisciplined and i believe the 2 players are a big reason Tyrone are not overly popular in ulster and further afield. You would not have seen a 5yr throw the ball into a player stomach after scoring a goal, complete idiot with very little class. Not sure, but i though i even seen ricey kick the ball into the stand to stop the Kerry player take a free after it rolled out over the line. its like something you seen in a u-12 game.

Agreed. As a derryman i always support the ulster team but boys like gormley and mcmenamin are hard to like. I thought that yesterday kerry beat tyrone at their own game. They defended in numbers and when tyrone hit them with late tackles like mcguigans they lay down instead of retaliating. Tyrone brought that kind of diving into the game so they shouldnt be crying now. Disappointed for mcguigan though because he has been a fantastic player and to bow out like that would be tough. Also disappointed for boys like stephen oneill who has been a class player for a long time. Gormley was the dirtiest player on the pitch and could have had 4 or 5 yellow cards. Thought his elbow into the back of goochs head was wotrhy of a red card. Def worse than mcguigans tackle.

Wildweasel74

Gormley been a great no.6 and Tyrone best defender for many a year but very good no6`s, of recent years may have been involved in an odd skirmish but how many times would you have seen the like of K McGeeney, Stephen O`Brien, Seamus Mon, P Curran, H Downey, etc, been involved in the continuous niggling, choke holds, knees etc, mouthing, its not an odd game hes always been at it,great players don't need it and he be remembered as much for this carry on as he would have for been a great player. As for the playacting its pathetic from both teams, and its like a virus in our everyday game! How would many of the pansies from this day and age fair against the Meath team of the late 80`s who were very tough. let me put it to you like this, you only grap mike lyons by the throat once!

bigtogs

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 22, 2012, 07:47:27 PM
Gormley been a great no.6 and Tyrone best defender for many a year but very good no6`s, of recent years may have been involved in an odd skirmish but how many times would you have seen the like of K McGeeney, Stephen O`Brien, Seamus Mon, P Curran, H Downey, etc, been involved in the continuous niggling, choke holds, knees etc, mouthing, its not an odd game hes always been at it,great players don't need it and he be remembered as much for this carry on as he would have for been a great player. As for the playacting its pathetic from both teams, and its like a virus in our everyday game! How would many of the pansies from this day and age fair against the Meath team of the late 80`s who were very tough. let me put it to you like this, you only grap mike lyons by the throat once!

you ought to see gormley in a ordinary club game in tyrone elbowing and kneeing men on the ground just as he likes as most refs afraid to sent him off

Christmas Lights

I predicted in the Donegal vs Tyrone match thread a few weeks ago after the game that Tyrone would get hammered again in a similar vein to the Dublin game last year when they met one of the "big guns" this year and yesterday proved that. 

Tyrone at the moment are playing a horrible brand of football at the minute, lets be honest about that. 
Short kick outs to a man standing on his own 20 meter line and then try and work the ball up to the scoring position by "bursting" through tackles and short passing it back or sideroads is not only hard to watch, its actually unreasonable to ask players to do this. 
There is no way you can get fit enough to play that type of game, by the time tyrone players worked the ball up to a scoring position, they where that wrecked from taking tackles and punishing running that in the end up most of the attacks where easily over-turned and Kerry broke with space everywhere which the kerry forwards completely revelled in.

Tyrone have given up the old age adage that you let the BALL DO THE WORK.   Tyrone are doing all the work for the ball.  Its horrible, physically & mentally exhausting  and highly unintelligent football.  Really think Tyrone need to look at their style of play and change it otherwise they will continue to go backwards even in a transition period.