Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hashtag

From being at the game this is my viewpoint.......

Kerry out-thought Tyrone. Tyrone actually lined out with 7 defenders at that start. Petey Harte started at CHB on Declan O'S and Carlin sat in front of Gooch. As soon as the ball was threw in Killan Young made his way up to Peter Harte and Declan O'Sullivan moved just in front of Gooch. Carlin had to then pick him up- Straight away Carlin was on back foot, he came to the show thinking he would be sweeping, starting attacks linking up with petey harte and carrying the ball into the forward line- this was Tyrone's game plan carry the ball the whole way they never were to think about kicking it into McCurry and Mugsy as they thought Kerry would deploy Young as a sweeper. Anyway Declan skinned carlin for first few balls and as I say he and the rest of the game plan was on the back foot straight away. Petey didn't know what his role was now. He was basically standing at centre half back getting man marked.

Thought at half time that the game was by in no means over. But I thought Tyrone would have to try something new. I even suggested going totally different to what people expect from Tyrone. I said go with Joe McMahon and Aidan Cassidy at edge of square and wee McCurry playing off them. My reasons- I looked at the Kerry full back line- Aidan O'Mahoney and Marc O'Se were set up to always mark nippy forwards- I don't know what they would be like in an airal battle. I was very disappointed to see Tyrone line out second half pretty much the same but with Conor Gormley at wing half forward. It very much reaked of find a place for him.
After not being in the game at all Petey Harte then got another chance in a new position at full forward. Killan Young stayed with him. Young him alive all day. To me Killian Young looked like a person who was told last Monday night- your on Petey Harte. No matter where he is.

Fair play to the Kingdom. I always like to see the best footballing team do well. The likes of Kerry and Cork do it right. Tyrone's rugby style of play where they carry it into the tackle and try to release it sidewards  is very frustrating to watch. Joe McMahon caught in pocession a good few times yesterday. Felt a bit sorry for Mattie Donnelly. He was obviously under instructions to come back and take kick outs. He had the ball on his own 20 a lot of times and there wasnt a man up the same line as him until McCurry on the far 13. He constantly had to try and carry the ball into the tackle- get turned over and made look stupid. I know Tyrone may not have the same players with the same talents and bite as they had in the successful years but this season they looked like a team that had no natural flair- just gym monkeys.

haranguerer

Quote from: under the bar on July 22, 2012, 11:04:42 AM
best team won no doubt but worst referring performance in living memory.  he should not get another game this year.  did jack oconnor have photos of him in compromising positions?

C'mon ffs!! As wobbler says, it wasnt even one of the worst this month. I'd say its in the top half of refereeing performances this year!

EC Unique

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 22, 2012, 09:59:20 AM

Coldrick is a shit referee.

That is shocking!  He should not get another game this year. Also how did gormley stay on the pitch? He seemed more interested in trying to act the hard man than playing football. Sad way for him to finish his Tyrone career!

J70

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 22, 2012, 10:12:50 AM
Interesting that Coldrick was the ref in all 3 of Tyrone's defeats in 2012.
Interesting how?

BennyHarp

How's Declan o'Sullivan today - was a bit worried about him last night as he seemed to be seriously injured on a few occasions throughout the game yesterday. Especially after that bruising assault by Brian McGuigan - I heard he spent the night in A&E is that true?
That was never a square ball!!

haveaharp

Quote from: Onion Bag on July 22, 2012, 09:02:50 AM
Kieran Donaghy is a serious mouth as well, always slabbering and getting involved in things he has no call to be near, ah well i suppose thats the tyrone in him

He is a yap alright and a dirty enough one with it. No way was it an accident when he followed through with the fist to the keepers head. Always looking to get involved in other players altercations as well. A bit like Gormley really. And this grabbing by the throat/face carry on has to be a straight red from now on, it looks disgraceful on tv. Cannot fathom the outburst of emotion by Kerry players at the final whistle either. Feck sake, you only beat Tyrone in a qualifier it wasnt winning the five in a row.

thewobbler

Quote from: haveaharp on July 22, 2012, 12:58:46 PM
Kieran Donaghy is a serious mouth as well, always slabbering and getting involved in things he has no call to be near, ah well i suppose thats the tyrone in him

He is a yap alright and a dirty enough one with it. No way was it an accident when he followed through with the fist to the keepers head. Always looking to get involved in other players altercations as well. A bit like Gormley really. And this grabbing by the throat/face carry on has to be a straight red from now on, it looks disgraceful on tv. Cannot fathom the outburst of emotion by Kerry players at the final whistle either. Feck sake, you only beat Tyrone in a qualifier it wasnt winning the five in a row.

I'm the opposite. I actually love to see players revelling in victory. There's too much emphasis on 'bigger picture' bullshit and codology in modern day GAA and it's refreshing to see players elated with a single win.

One of the most depressing sights I've ever witnessed in Gaelic Football was the reaction of Cork's players when the final whistle went, after a tremendous comeback won them the National League final last year. No cheers, no smiling, no celebrations. It was like a wake.

Hopefully Kerry's celebratory style will begin the antidote to this lack of happiness.

nobackdoor

No harm with showing a bit of emotion after the game. Fair play to the Kingdom, they played on a different level to Tyrone yesterday.

Tyrone have been in freefall since '09, with no sign of any talent coming through. They seem to be heading the same way as Armagh and Derry, in fact the Ulster championship look to be in serious decline.
The backdoor has ruined it

the Deel Rover

Quote from: thewobbler on July 22, 2012, 01:20:33 PM

I'm the opposite. I actually love to see players revelling in victory. There's too much emphasis on 'bigger picture' bullshit and codology in modern day GAA and it's refreshing to see players elated with a single win.

One of the most depressing sights I've ever witnessed in Gaelic Football was the reaction of Cork's players when the final whistle went, after a tremendous comeback won them the National League final last year. No cheers, no smiling, no celebrations. It was like a wake.

Hopefully Kerry's celebratory style will begin the antidote to this lack of happiness.

+1 . At least is shows it means something to the players
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Syferus

Quote from: nobackdoor on July 22, 2012, 01:22:05 PM
No harm with showing a bit of emotion after the game. Fair play to the Kingdom, they played on a different level to Tyrone yesterday.

Tyrone have been in freefall since '09, with no sign of any talent coming through. They seem to be heading the same way as Armagh and Derry, in fact the Ulster championship look to be in serious decline.

So the likes of Peter Harte, Clarke and McCurry don't count? Tyrone have plenty of underage talent to develop and there's no better man than Mickey Harte to mould them into seniors Even now they remain in the top 6-8 teams in the country, promoted back D1 at a canter in the spring. If the last three years are 'freefall', it's strange that the vast majority of counties would happily take their results - Tyrone won yet another Ulster minor title today.

The irony of what you've said is Kerry are far more likely for a rough landing in the coming years than Tyrone are.

haveaharp

To be fair though its rare you would see a Kerry team react like that outside of beating Cork in Munster.

Orchardman

defo agree with that. I've said that before about teams winning leagues and provincial championships, its like a wake sometimes. Great to see kerry react like that and enjoy themselves yesterday, they played brilliant football and kicked the hole of a brutal tyrone team.

Tyrone were desperate, very cynical, and it was hard to believe they got to within 2 points after getting the goal. Even at that stage, kerry were 10 points the better team. I was kinda supporting tyrone going in to the game yesterday so i don't think i'm putting the boot in here too much.

Tyrone and armagh played a good shoot out in the first round, really both sides are average but will be back. Another thing, all the talk about division 2 being very good, is it? kildare, tyrone and galway were the big 3, now look at them.

The top 6 teams in div 1 are still the big 6, though i don't think down are any better than armagh or tyrone.

nobackdoor

Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2012, 01:43:11 PM
Quote from: nobackdoor on July 22, 2012, 01:22:05 PM

So the likes of Peter Harte, Clarke and McCurry don't count? Tyrone have plenty of underage talent to develop and there's no better man than Mickey Harte to mould them into seniors Even now they remain in the top 6-8 teams in the country, promoted back D1 at a canter in the spring. If the last three years are 'freefall', it's strange that the vast majority of counties would happily take their results - Tyrone won yet another Ulster minor title today.

The irony of what you've said is Kerry are far more likely for a rough landing in the coming years than Tyrone are.

I don't think any of those players put their hands up last night. I thought Tyrone were beat in every position last night, with no sign of any young talent that would be good enough at the highest level. Plenty of counties have had success at underage without it translating into the senior side.

Ironically, Kerry haven't won a minor since '94 but seem to bring in 1-2 players every year.

Ulster football is in serious decline and Tyrone are so far behind now, they remind me of Armagh/Derry, its scary.

We'll see what they will do in the future, I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't think they caught a ball around the middle of the park all day yest.
The backdoor has ruined it

EC Unique

Tyrone are still way ahead of Armagh who in turn are miles ahead of Derry.

Estimator

Tyrone won the UMFC in '97 '98 and '01 which was the basis of the Senior winning sides in '03 '05 and '08.  But they also had victories at U21 level as well.  Tyrone won the UMFC in '03 '04 '07 '08 '10 and now '12. Where are those players? How come those sides haven't supplied the same amount of players that the previous teams did? Winning minor titles is important but no reflection of how the senior team will play in the future.
Ulster League Champions 2009