Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadence

Quote from: J OGorman on July 19, 2012, 04:19:35 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 19, 2012, 08:38:47 AM
Quote from: cadence on July 19, 2012, 07:59:12 AM
unfortunately for tyrone, i doubt that the kerry team will be relying on the venue to see them through this one. they wouldn't be that stupid, would they?

"unfortunately"..."I doubt"...jesus what the f**k is it you Tymoan lads and this fixture...such manufactured bravado ..yet such doubt. How about nailing your colours to the mast and stop being the britboy pussies that we know you are ? Are you going to win or not ?

Up Tyrone...anything to shut this pollution up!

honestly. + there's no consideration whatsoever here for the post-modern perspective on the complexity of identity. which is a shame because 'tis handy to unpack and debunk stereotypes and all sorts of other nonsense. 

Captain Obvious

Quote from: heffo on July 19, 2012, 04:15:46 PM
Really looking forward to this.

Head says Kerry by five but heart isn't writing off Tyrone and just feel they always raise their game against Kerry

Why does the head say that? Kerry were lucky to beat Westmeath who were missing a number of players.

Whishtup

The fact that Kerry had a right oul' battle to get past Westmeath on Sunday whereas Tyrone played on Saturday and emptied the bench with second-team players might just give Tyrone the physical and psychological edge.  That was tough for Kerry and it would be some effort to defeat a better rested and mentally settled Tyrone outfit.  If they do, fair play to them.

ONeill

The blockbuster has arrived, hold on to those seats.

By DECLAN BOGUE

In the distant future, they will be embarrassed by what went on that day, but back then the rivalry was spilling into hatred territory. Actions occurred and words were said. In the heat of the moment, nobody was going to pull them up on it.

It was February 15, 2009 when Kerry were in Omagh for a repeat of the previous September's All-Ireland final. They were 2-8 to 0-3 up by half-time.

In the dressing room, the story goes that Mickey Harte instructed Tyrone's players to remove their jerseys and throw them in a skip. The previous 35 minutes had not been worthy of the colours, so they wore a new set for the second half.

Although new rules regarding third-man tackles, intentional fouls and verbal abuse were introduced that winter, they were ignored as Tyrone went about reeling in the lead.

On the final whistle, Marc ÓSé, Declan O'Sullivan and Ryan McMenamin all got involved in a flare-up, Kerry boss Jack O'Connor had to be held back as he sought confrontation, and we witnessed a Tyrone backroom member pumping his fist to an already over-stimulated crowd.

Later that season, Tyrone were on the attack in the All-Ireland semi against Cork when the referee blew for half-time. The resultant fuss led to a temporary rule for the next National League stating the ball had to go dead before a referee could end a half. In a twist of fate, it helped Tyrone beat Kerry in March 2010. With time over, Tyrone were seeking a late goal. Kerry mistakenly never hoofed into 'row z' and a dipping ball was met by Colm Cavanagh's fist and they took the points.

And that was the last time they met. Tyrone dropped a division, and that final blockbuster, winner-takes-all Championship match we yearned for to settle the 'Team of the Decade' argument never materialised. That's why, when they were paired off on Monday it relit a flame for old times.

While the relationship between the pair had grown toxic by 2009, there were earlier signs of what could unfold. In his season diary of 2003, after that infamous All-Ireland semi-final, Mickey Harte wrote: "People are going on as if it's the end of Gaelic football as we know it. I'm disappointed at the Kerry chairman Sean Walsh suggesting that we might have to introduce the mark and change the rules."

In his autobiography, Jack O'Connor slammed the success of Armagh and Tyrone: "They're flash and nouveau riche and full of it. Northern teams talk about how they did it, they go on about this theory and that practice, as if they'd just split the atom. They build up a mythology about themselves."

As for 'Team of the Decade'?

The case for Kerry is that they always presented themselves for battle. In the 2004 final, they massacred Mayo who had beaten Tyrone in the quarters. In 2006, they again lifted Sam as Tyrone lost to Laois. A year later they retained it as Meath shredded Tyrone in the quarters.

Jack left the post, citing he 'couldn't wait around for Tyrone to show up'. In a way he was right, but then Kerry's evolution was not as difficult as Tyrone's. The untimely death of Cormac McAnallen prevented a possible domination and it took a couple of years for Tyrone to re-calibrate their attack after the retirement of Peter Canavan.

But what Tyrone have is that incredible record. Three games and three wins over Kerry. They'll sell seats alright, but you'll only need the edge of them.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/the-blockbuster-has-arrived-hold-on-to-those-seats-16186514.html#ixzz215W8334p
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

EC Unique

Same 15 named for Tyrone.

Fuzzman

EC Unique

Frank Casey

kerry team named.

1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)
2. Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 3. Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) 4. Shane Enright (Tarbert)
5. Tomás Ó Sé  (An Ghaeltacht)6. Eoin Brosnan  (Dr Crokes)7. Killian Young  (Renard)
8. Anthony Maher  (Duagh) 9. Bryan Sheehan (St Mary's)
10. Paul Galvin  (Finuge) 11. Declan O'Sullivan  (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) 12. Donnchadh Walsh
(Cromane)
13. James O'Donoghue (Legion)  14. Colm Cooper (Captain) (Dr Crokes)15. Kieran Donaghy
(Austin Stacks)

16. Brian Kelly
(Legion)

17. Brian Maguire
(Listowel Emmet's)

18. Peter Crowley
(Laune Rangers)

19. Darran O'Sullivan
(Glenbeigh/Glencar)

20. Kieran O'Leary
(Dr Crokes)

21. Johnny Buckley
(Dr Crokes)

22. Patrick Curtin
(Moyvane)

23. Jonathan Lyne
(Legion)

24. Seamus Scanlon
(Currow)

25. Barry John Keane
(Kerins O'Rahilly's)

26. Fionn Fitzgerald
(Dr Crokes)

27. Michael Geaney
(Daingean Uí Chuis)

Bainisteóir: Jack O'Connor (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)
Traenálaí: Alan O'Sullivan (Kerins O'Rahillys)
Roghnóirí: Ger O'Keeffe (Austin Stacks)
Diarmuid Ó Murchú (Daingean Uí Chúis) and Eamon Fitzmaurice (Finuge)

KERRY 3:7

Fuzzman

I'd say Mickey will target Brosnan as a weak link and I'd like to see Penrose stay in the FF line this time & maybe pull Mugsy out for more room?

Will Kerry play with extra defenders lads or is that not their style?

time ticking away

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 19, 2012, 09:14:20 PM
I'd say Mickey will target Brosnan as a weak link and I'd like to see Penrose stay in the FF line this time & maybe pull Mugsy out for more room?

Will Kerry play with extra defenders lads or is that not their style?
Of course they will, they are nearly as conservative as Donegal
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Orchardman

Brolly's piece today on colly cooper was a farce, basically saying he has no balls and bottles it on the big games all the time, especially against tyrone.

I 've said before i loved the kerry and tyrone games, 05 and 08 finals were best ever games i've seen, and i was happy to see tyrone win both as i usually back the ulster teams. Tyrone have a great 3-0 record against kerry the past 10 years, but i would be fairly certain if they had of met in 06 and 09 for example, then kerry could have beaten them, and beaten them well.
Brolly slags cooper for scoring an 'easy goal' against mayo in 04 final. I never liked the way kerry got dam all credit for winning sam in 04 and 06, is it their fault that mayo were shite?

trileacman

Quote from: Orchardman on July 19, 2012, 09:38:48 PM
Brolly's piece today on colly cooper was a farce, basically saying he has no balls and bottles it on the big games all the time, especially against tyrone.

I 've said before i loved the kerry and tyrone games, 05 and 08 finals were best ever games i've seen, and i was happy to see tyrone win both as i usually back the ulster teams. Tyrone have a great 3-0 record against kerry the past 10 years, but i would be fairly certain if they had of met in 06 and 09 for example, then kerry could have beaten them, and beaten them well.
Brolly slags cooper for scoring an 'easy goal' against mayo in 04 final. I never liked the way kerry got dam all credit for winning sam in 04 and 06, is it their fault that mayo were shite?

Brolly is a bollix, how many times do I have to say this?? Brolly couldn't lace Cooper's boots.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2012, 04:47:04 PM
I see Brolly questioning this Kerry team's balls, especially Gooch's, in today's Gaelic Life. The kingdom are getting plenty of fodder.

Mc Guigan's is a great read.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Brolly's TV opinions and articles used have some substance.

Something has happened, especially these last few months. It's like he thinks he's some kind of guru with a dose of sensationalism thrown in. He has been rambling in all directions so far, from stamping on Tyrone's grave early on to lashing into individual players. Today's article was shambolic, like something you'd write if tanked up and then regret sending in the morning.

If he's not careful we'll be laughing at him, not with him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Beantown

Brolly just wants Tyrone beat and wants to write O Connors teamtalk...

I used to like Brolly, always winding Pat up, with a glint in the eye. He loves messing with spillanes head, but now he is just talking for talks sake.  He is turning into Dunphy, always looking for a sound bite ...