Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eviemonkey

Quote from: orangeman on July 18, 2012, 11:31:35 PM
Something about Kerry this year just doesn't add up.

They were great in the first half against Cork in the league as well. Good long diagonal balls into the corners, lots of pace and movement. But then in the Championship, for whatever reason they were holding on possession more around the middle of the field and their build-up play was a lot slower and laboured-looking as a result.

Not sure why they would go with that approach. If they had gone more direct in the last 10 minutes of last year's Final they would have won because Donaghy and Cooper had the beating of their men but were starved of possession late on as Kerry preferred to try and hold on to what they had.

Maybe O'Connor doesn't trust his back-line enough to play an open, expansive game anymore and wants to retain and dominate possession as much as possible? Maybe he thinks the direct game is doomed to flounder against the modern blanket defensive approach and it is more practical to retain possession to entice the opposition out?

The paranoid side of me thinks that this is all part of an elaborate 'Long Con' where Kerry have been holding back their A game until they really needed it. But instead of an All Ireland Semi-final or Final they will now have to reveal it much sooner than expected?

nephinman

Many of Kerry's comebacks and performances of the last few years have been sparked by Darren O Sullivan/Sheehan/Galvin/Gooch being good on different days. If 2 of these play badly & one more is outplayed, then they could be in a bit of bother.

But then again they have so many natural footballers that on any given day they might just do an 04 :'( , an 06 :'( or an 09 :D

But as a neutral I just cant wait for this match.

BennyCake

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 18, 2012, 10:45:11 PM
You're probably right Benny but if you gave us a few reasons or opinions it might back up your theory. Or do you always get these feelings right? Great article from Darragh. Gosh his name comes up as Armagh on predictive text. Ha. He praises us to the hilt though as he knows we'll love to read such respect from a Kingdom man.

Home venue is massive. Kerry have struggled but I feel there's a big game in them (like v Dublin 09). The crowd will be behind them, and that will drive them on. I don't think Tyrone have enough firepower. Cavanagh is a big miss, as is Coney.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteThe crowd will be behind them

Not if they are losing and losing badly, say, at half time!

I believe Jack O'Connor got dog's abuse from the Kerry 'supporters' at half time walking off the pitch in Mullingar last Sunday. I remember Kerry v Longford in Killarney in 2006 and Kerry were a fair bit ahead in early 2nd half. They were home and hosed - yet if a Kerry lad got dispossed or gave away the ball for the remainder of the game the level of abuse from some of the Kerry lads around me to said player(s) astonished me.

Paidi was right ya know!

BennyCake

Seamus

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 19, 2012, 12:32:20 AM

I believe Jack O'Connor got dog's abuse from the Kerry 'supporters' at half time walking off the pitch in Mullingar last Sunday. I remember Kerry v Longford in Killarney in 2006 and Kerry were a fair bit ahead in early 2nd half. They were home and hosed - yet if a Kerry lad got dispossed or gave away the ball for the remainder of the game the level of abuse from some of the Kerry lads around me to said player(s) astonished me.

Paidi was right ya know!

That's just the very small minority, every county has them. No matter which way the game will go on Saturday 95% will be fully behind them and those 95% will also show respect to Tyrone.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Seamus on July 19, 2012, 06:27:18 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 19, 2012, 12:32:20 AM

Paidi was right ya know!

That's just the very small minority, every county has them. No matter which way the game will go on Saturday 95% will be fully behind them and those 95% will also show respect to Tyrone.

you have to earn respect. I am not sure Tyrone have done that. Keep in mind this is a game in Fitzgerald stadium that you are talking about.

omagh_gael

you have to earn respect. I am not sure Tyrone have done that. Keep in mind this is a game in Fitzgerald stadium that you are talking about.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 19, 2012, 07:32:25 AM

just an honest opinion. I dont think Tyrone have players that can do justice to this venue or this occasion. Its one thing "doing a job" (as certian managers seem to glorify) and actually doing yourself and your county proud in such a rarefied atmosphere. Its a question of aesthetics really.

omagh_gael

QuoteI dont think Tyrone have players that can do justice to this venue or this occasion. Its one thing "doing a job" (as certian managers seem to glorify) and actually doing yourself and your county proud in such a rarefied atmosphere. Its a question of aesthetics really.

Once again...

cadence

unfortunately for tyrone, i doubt that the kerry team will be relying on the venue to see them through this one. they wouldn't be that stupid, would they?

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: cadence on July 19, 2012, 07:59:12 AM
unfortunately for tyrone, i doubt that the kerry team will be relying on the venue to see them through this one. they wouldn't be that stupid, would they?

"unfortunately"..."I doubt"...jesus what the f**k is it you Tymoan lads and this fixture...such manufactured bravado ..yet such doubt. How about nailing your colours to the mast and stop being the britboy pussies that we know you are ? Are you going to win or not ?

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 19, 2012, 07:51:24 AM
QuoteI dont think Tyrone have players that can do justice to this venue or this occasion. Its one thing "doing a job" (as certian managers seem to glorify) and actually doing yourself and your county proud in such a rarefied atmosphere. Its a question of aesthetics really.

Once again...

are you afraid to debate the point ? much like your cowardly countymen. I've never seen a county so quiet before games  yet so mouthy when they win. Why is that I wonder ?

cadence

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 19, 2012, 08:38:47 AM

"unfortunately"..."I doubt"...jesus what the f**k is it you Tymoan lads and this fixture...such manufactured bravado ..yet such doubt. How about nailing your colours to the mast and stop being the britboy pussies that we know you are ? Are you going to win or not ?

yes, that's right. now please continue enlightening us all oh clever one.

EC Unique

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 19, 2012, 08:38:47 AM

I think Tyrone will win by 2-4 points in a tight enough game. What do you think will happen Mike?