Antrim v Galway

Started by Orior, July 09, 2012, 01:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2012, 11:25:20 AM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 18, 2012, 11:16:25 AM
I know it was mostly a dig at Alan Mulholland and the state of Galway football but Joyce should have known better than slagging off the two teams that beat them like that.

It's the footballers equivalent of a spectator going on about watching 'two bad teams' as he watches his own team being beaten - its a very ungrateful way to lose. Antrim and Sligo have both improved their standing in the last ten years while Galway have gone backwards. I don't know too much about Antrim but Sligo certainly have a far better team than Galway at the moment, Joyce should acknowledge that rather than dismiss them, incorrectly, as a division 4 side.

Mulholland needs to spend the next few months working out how he's going to reinvent Galway football. The rules aren't going to be changed just because they want to play catch and kick.

God loves a trier and all but Sligo and Antrim are nowhere near all Ireland standard. There are puke teams that can strangle the life out of the opposition with less effort.  
Joyce was just saying that  Galway should be capable of beating these teams. And they should. Losing to Louth, Wexford, Westmeath, Sligo, antrim- with all due respect none of these are  worldbeaters.  Meath beat us last year but they have their own issues.  Banty out!

After the Sligo match Mulholland said it would be tough to get the  players back on the road- I'd say he realised at that stage that they weren't at the races.    I think this year is the end of the road for the notion that Galway can do their own thing.
So there needs to be some thinking done on the reinvention.

Mayo are further ahead on the programme but can they pull it off ?

I don't have the time to list all the teams who have beaten Antrim during Baker's reign.  But Kerry, Down and Tyrone had no real problems in the last few years.  Maybe, just maybe, hardstation has a point??

NAG1

Quote from: hardstation on July 18, 2012, 11:28:54 AM
I know it was mostly a dig at Alan Mulholland and the state of Galway football but Joyce should have known better than slagging off the two teams that beat them like that.

It's the footballers equivalent of a spectator going on about watching 'two bad teams' as he watches his own team being beaten - its a very ungrateful way to lose. Antrim and Sligo have both improved their standing in the last ten years while Galway have gone backwards. I don't know too much about Antrim but Sligo certainly have a far better team than Galway at the moment, Joyce should acknowledge that rather than dismiss them, incorrectly, as a division 4 side.

Mulholland needs to spend the next few months working out how he's going to reinvent Galway football. The rules aren't going to be changed just because they want to play catch and kick.

God loves a trier and all but Sligo and Antrim are nowhere near all Ireland standard. There are puke teams that can strangle the life out of the opposition with less effort. 
Joyce was just saying that  Galway should be capable of beating these teams. And they should. Losing to Louth, Wexford, Westmeath, Sligo, antrim- with all due respect none of these are  worldbeaters.  Meath beat us last year but they have their own issues.  Banty out!

Maybe, just maybe, Galway are shite and that's why they keep losing to these teams.

+1

Instead looking outwardly to the poor standard (perceived) of the teams beating Galway lately maybe, they should look internally to fnid out why they cant beat these types of teams. IMO shows a real lack of leadership and hunger for a team to keep getting beat by teams they think are worse than them. Or then again maybe HS was just right.

Syferus

Quote from: sans pessimism on July 18, 2012, 11:46:12 AM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 18, 2012, 11:26:01 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2012, 04:55:22 AM
We planned to do the inter-county double for Connacht in 2006 as well but the Christmas Lights got stage fright.

Syferus, remind us all again how many wins your seniors have had in Croke Park in the last 30 years.

Cosmo, ignore like everyone else

Sadly for you your own mind isn't the rest of the world.

@ Cosmo we've won the same amount of finals as ye have.  :-*

seanog

Just not adopted to the horrible modern game yet, which is necessary to be able to compete.

Captain Obvious

After the Sligo match Mulholland said it would be tough to get the  players back on the road- I'd say he realised at that stage that they weren't at the races.    I think this year is the end of the road for the notion that Galway can do their own thing.
So there needs to be some thinking done on the reinvention.

Mayo are further ahead on the programme but can they pull it off ?

It's not 1998 or 2001 anymore. Your team lost to Louth, Wexford, Westmeath, Sligo, Antrim because all are now better than Galway.

eviemonkey

Good players more often than not will still beat good systems. Galway just do not have enough quality players at the moment, either in terms of players being strong enough to win their own ball and skillful enough to use it effectively when they have it.

I think Mulholland will use this year's learning curve to good effect and and should be given every chance to unlock the potential of last year's Under 21s at senior level but it is going to take time.