Antrim v Galway

Started by Orior, July 09, 2012, 01:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Only having a go at hs for the craic like.  What happened to the mc Gourtys. 

moysider

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 17, 2012, 01:30:40 PM
PJ ain't one bit pleased, from HoganStand;

Joyce disillusioned
17 July 2012

Galway and Killererin star Padraig JoycePadraig Joyce has delivered a damning assessment of Galway football.

In the wake of Saturday night's shock defeat to Antrim, Joyce pointed out that the westerners are nowhere near the level that people think they are:

"There is a perception that Galway should be up there because they are a big county, but you have to earn the right to be up there with the Corks, Dublins, Kerrys and Tyrones - teams who have done it," the Tribe veteran is quoted as saying in The Examiner.

"We haven't done it consistently. We'll come with a spell and we'll go, and we'll come back in a couple of years time. God knows when we'll be back again.

"It's happened too many times for people to say we're cursed or anything like that. Look at the teams who beat us - with all due respect they are teams we should be beating.

"We thought that we had a good mix this year but that was well and truly blown out of the water against Sligo and we didn't learn anything in the six weeks since. That's the worst of it."We didn't improve or learn since Sligo. They and Antrim are Division Four teams. We're not that bad but we're definitely not up there where some people think we are.

"It's not bad luck, it's about making mistakes and taking wrong options. We were a point up twice in the last five minutes and still coughed up the lead. We weren't cute enough and didn't know how to slow the game down.

"It's not good enough at this level. Not good enough at all."

I m taking that as a slight on management. Maybe it s not intended that way but it reads like that to me. Last thing Mulholland needs is Padraic Joyce having a snipe. I was kinda surprised he hung around for the qualifier as he had left the grounds in Salthill sooner than most of the crowd.
Mulholland will have a job now. As has been said already it is one thing winning underage stuff but Galway senior football needs a complete change in approach and attitude. I have a feeling the manager s job will be Joyce s any time he wants it so he ll be able to have a go solving the problems he sees. Whether he is a success or not remains to be seen. He appears to be a fella that can be contrary and fast to blame others.

AQMP

Quote from: rrhf on July 17, 2012, 02:55:52 PM
Only having a go at hs for the craic like.  What happened to the mc Gourtys.

Don't start that again!!

Duine Eile

Quote from: moysider on July 17, 2012, 03:00:25 PM

I m taking that as a slight on management. Maybe it s not intended that way but it reads like that to me. Last thing Mulholland needs is Padraic Joyce having a snipe. I was kinda surprised he hung around for the qualifier as he had left the grounds in Salthill sooner than most of the crowd.
Mulholland will have a job now. As has been said already it is one thing winning underage stuff but Galway senior football needs a complete change in approach and attitude. I have a feeling the manager s job will be Joyce s any time he wants it so he ll be able to have a go solving the problems he sees. Whether he is a success or not remains to be seen. He appears to be a fella that can be contrary and fast to blame others.

It would appear to be alright moysider, this is the end of Padraic's intercounty career I'd say. Hard to blame him, this team are going nowhere fast and the management haven't a clue and are treating them like a crowd of minors from what I've heard, what 35 year old needs that. He's had a brilliant career, just a pity it had to end in such a disaster of a year. Wouldn't agree about him being fast to blame others however, he came on and scored 2 points to put Galway ahead twice and both times Antrim were let down the field to score again and eventually get the winner. In his 15 years playing I think this is the only time he's ever made a statement along these lines, shows his frustration with the whole set up in my opinion.

Zulu

I thought mullholland was highly regarded and widely accepted as the best man for the job? Hard to put a finger on exactly what's wrong but tactics or not there are too many journeymen in the team. In order to be competitive Galway will have to adopt more negative tactics as they have an average defence (though they have one or two good individuals), a woeful midfield and scoring forwards. Drawing teams in a breaking quickly to get Meehan et al. in space might make them a top 8 team again.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Zulu on July 17, 2012, 03:57:30 PM
I thought mullholland was highly regarded and widely accepted as the best man for the job? Hard to put a finger on exactly what's wrong but tactics or not there are too many journeymen in the team. In order to be competitive Galway will have to adopt more negative tactics as they have an average defence (though they have one or two good individuals), a woeful midfield and scoring forwards. Drawing teams in a breaking quickly to get Meehan et al. in space might make them a top 8 team again.

Nobody is calling for Alan to go, the dogs on the street know that this present group aren't good enough at the moment, management however need to change their mindset, they have come through managing minor and u-21 teams and don't seem to have adapted things to suit the senior team they have now and also the game of football the way it's played at senior level at the moment. Nice open football and 6 backs against 6 forwards might work at minor and u-21 level but not senior level. Their lack of tactical awareness and ability to make quick changes during a game let the team down badly this year. Now while the team have to shoulder most of the blame management should have learned from our failings against Sligo but they didn't, they sent the team out to play the same way and yet again it didn't work. This is what's frustrating me anyway.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: hardstation on July 17, 2012, 02:07:32 PM
You are the most forgetful person on this board.

She's a Killererin woman too. 8)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

It looks like

Poor gym monkeyness
Chronic inability to foul out the field
too sportsmanlike
Lack of players who can slow down a game to grind out a win
Tactics 
General lack of suitable personnel
Distaste of puke football

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2012, 05:23:00 PM
It looks like

Poor gym monkeyness
too sportsmanlike
Tactics 

Ha ha brilliant seafoid. It's true. We're just too pure to survive in the modern game.

Farrandeelin

Galway are a team in transition. Just want to see what damage Duine Eile will do!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Asal

I was watching the 2003 final the other day and it was very poor quality and now Donegal etc have brought it
on 3 or 4 levels. Kildare and all their intensity and they are so in the footballing moment but you know they are going to be dumped out by a team with 2 scoring forwards.

I suppose they will have to do something about the rules.

This was on Hogan Stand

" Pretty boys playing pretty football just don't cut it in the championship in these times. All the top teams have a fair number of tough hard bruisers who rule with an iron fist. They are not necessarily good footballers but they are fit, strong and hard. They operate right on the line of what they can get away with and in football ability they are able to handpass the ball five yards which is about as much as you need to be able to do in a lot of teams"

F*ck that, really 
Even Lynshkey was better than that.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 17, 2012, 06:53:01 PM
Galway are a team in transition. Just want to see what damage Duine Eile will do!
I have transferred my allegiance for this year over to Mayo, Farr, and am hoping now for a Connacht double with Mayo winning the fuball.   I  hope ye don't get strangled by some team that can only score 6 points but hold ye to 3.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2012, 07:03:38 PM
I have transferred my allegiance for this year over to Mayo, Farr, and am hoping now for a Connacht double with Mayo winning the fuball.   I  hope ye don't get strangled by some team that can only score 6 points but hold ye to 3.

The way we re going we re likely to be the team scoring 3 :(

Duine Eile

I'll let you go with that one, ye Mayo bucks have ye're own crosses to bear.  ;)

imtommygunn

Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2012, 05:23:00 PM
It looks like

Poor gym monkeyness
too sportsmanlike
Tactics 

From the outside looking in...

- You actually do have some decent footballers so gym monkeys is harsh.
however...
- You have absolutely no leaders.
- You can't win dirty ball.
- A massive problem Antrim have always had is that they play a spare man back(it was more than one on saturday), the other team push up and then antrim don't know what to do. It's a simple tactic antrim always fall short on and you didn't know what to do.
- You are very reliant on Gareth Bradshaw to set up attacks. James Loughrey has an engine as good as the best of them and bradshaw didn't count.
- Your forwards are too easily dispossessed. This tallies with the fact that when antrim pushed a load of men back you didn't push enough men forward and didn't have the support.

A few other comments:
- There were some boys who came on as subs who probably should have been started. The wee half back guy from Corofin who looks very gutsy looked like he should have started.
- Your number 12 was starting to cause antrim problems then you took him off.
- Kevin O'Boyle put his head where a lot of people wouldn't on saturday towards the end to stop a certain goal otherwise this conversation wouldn't be going on.
- Joyce on earlier would have made a difference.

The top teams have needle in them and are good at winning break ball. You fall very short in both areas.

Also I felt, and I know nothing about your manager, that tactically you were incredibly naive on saturday night. Baker has the most simplistic game plan you would find and most managers combat it with ease. You were void of ideas to a very simple game plan which would be concerning.

I like Galway and I think with the right manager there could be a lot in that team but look at the teams who are coming up. Donegal, Mayo and Kildare have introduced a lot more needle etc into their football and they can win ball. You lack both of these but with the right manager etc behind you I think you could improve a lot. As it stands though that was a poor poor show on saturday.