Roscommon v Tyrone AI Round 2 Qualifier

Started by Syferus, July 02, 2012, 08:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross matt

Last year was a great contest in Croker before Tyrone pulled away mainly thanks to Cavanagh's goals. Despite the win yesterday over Armagh I still dont think Ross are as good as they were last year. Maybe Tyrone without Cavanagh are'nt what they were either but they still could have drawn with Donegal. The Hyde venue might level things a little more. Tough draw for Roscommon all the same.

seafoid

Presumably the win yesterday will pull the Rossies away from the Connacht minor thread

jamesimcanespy

Hsa this fixture ever taken place before??? Even in the league?

LeoMc

Quote from: jamesimcanespy on July 02, 2012, 11:22:30 AM

Apart from last year?

ONeill

I have a vague memory of a low scoring win for the Ros in the league.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: LeoMc on July 02, 2012, 11:23:45 AM

Pre the qualifiers and St Mickey Throne rarely  used to get out of Ulster so they were never in sync with Roscommon's cycle.

Qwerty28

They same imitation is the highest form of flattery so will the Rossies continue with their Longford style colour scheme the next day?!!   ;)

neilthemac

Roscommon beat Tyrone in 0-11 to 0-10 in the league 2003, I think.

Syferus

Last year's tie was for the first 60 minutes perhaps the game of the year, some great attacking play and real end-to-end stuff. We stood off Kavanagh way too much, like we were in awe of him. The worst part was that the killer blows weren't even pieces of brilliance by him, just some lazy passing by our backs giving Kavanagh near open goals. I don't expect the same on July 14th.

omagh_gael

From my perspective. Negatives 1. Rossies possibily the strongest team we could have met. 2 Home draw is always coveted at this stage. 3. Rossies will have no fear after yesterday and last year. Positives 1. Playing a stronger team will benefit us in the long term if we're lucky enough to get through. 2. The intensity will be nowhere near the levels of Saturday. 3. New option at full back with young Clarke.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on July 02, 2012, 11:25:16 AM
I have a vague memory of a low scoring win for the Ros in the league.

In 2003? One of Harte's first game in charge of Tyrone seniors if not the first?

EC Unique

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 02, 2012, 12:39:13 PM
From my perspective. Negatives 1. Rossies possibily the strongest team we could have met. 2 Home draw is always coveted at this stage. 3. Rossies will have no fear after yesterday and last year. Positives 1. Playing a stronger team will benefit us in the long term if we're lucky enough to get through. 2. The intensity will be nowhere near the levels of Saturday. 3. New option at full back with young Clarke.

Good point on Clarke for full back. Justy could be useful further out the pitch when fit and leave Clarke where he is..

Fuzzman

Thank God for that. A trip West in July where they won't be playing a Spanish style of 15 defenders and no forwards.

I've watched the game on Saturday at least twice now and whilst we definitely seem to outplay them in the first half, we were not at all at the races in the second half. I could spend ages commenting on how I saw it but there is one thing that HAS to be resolved and I can't believe a man of Mickey Harte's intelligence and preparation has let it go now for so long

FREE TAKING

In the name of God (not PTG) sort it out will ye. Is it because we have so many possible free-takers that nobody is truly assigned with the task and so becomes our "expert" free taker who hits them all the time. According to RTE we had 7 different free takers though the Irish news says 3 different free takers and 3 different 45 takers.
Is it because so many of our lads are good ball kickers and can all kick scores from play so then nobody really takes ownership of this task. We have discussed this for years and since Peter retired it has never been resolved.
To me Joey should be the man as he can kick over sensational points from frees from 60 yards sometimes.
I thought Petey was our new free taker last year?
I don't pretend to be an expert but would be wrong to see free taking is all about practise, practise , practise.
Over the years we had some amazing free takers and in todays highly defensive systems, there are more frees than ever. Teams now systematically foul you and so surely if teams know we don't have anyone reliable they'll happily pull our men down knowing we'll probably kick it wide or short.

Does anyone else agree with me that whilst other problems Tyrone have surely this is one which needs to be addressed ASAP or am I over simplifying it?
Look at Longford's new free taker McCormack with his strange new technique.
11 points he scored and 9 of them frees. How many did we miss from frees?

EC Unique

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 02, 2012, 02:58:34 PM
Thank God for that. A trip West in July where they won't be playing a Spanish style of 15 defenders and no forwards.

I've watched the game on Saturday at least twice now and whilst we definitely seem to outplay them in the first half, we were not at all at the races in the second half. I could spend ages commenting on how I saw it but there is one thing that HAS to be resolved and I can't believe a man of Mickey Harte's intelligence and preparation has let it go now for so long

FREE TAKING

In the name of God (not PTG) sort it out will ye. Is it because we have so many possible free-takers that nobody is truly assigned with the task and so becomes our "expert" free taker who hits them all the time. According to RTE we had 7 different free takers though the Irish news says 3 different free takers and 3 different 45 takers.
Is it because so many of our lads are good ball kickers and can all kick scores from play so then nobody really takes ownership of this task. We have discussed this for years and since Peter retired it has never been resolved.
To me Joey should be the man as he can kick over sensational points from frees from 60 yards sometimes.
I don't pretend to be an expert but would be wrong to see free taking is all about practise, practise , practise.
Over the years we had some amazing free takers and in todays highly defensive systems, there are more frees than ever. Teams now systematically foul you and so surely if teams know we don't have anyone reliable they'll happily pull our men down knowing we'll probably kick it wide or short.

Does anyone else agree with me that whilst other problems Tyrone have surely this is one which needs to be addressed ASAP or am I over simplifying it?

Spot on abou the frees. Joe hit over a class free from about 60 yards in the first half then 4 or 5 mins later an easier free from similar angle was missed by Mugsey. WTF?

Hashtag

Quote from: EC Unique on July 02, 2012, 03:44:47 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 02, 2012, 02:58:34 PM

FREE TAKING

Spot on abou the frees. Joe hit over a class free from about 60 yards in the first half then 4 or 5 mins later an easier free from similar angle was missed by Mugsey. WTF?

AFAIK Mugsy, Petey, Penrose, O'Neill, Joey all practice frees for 15 minutes before training.
Why so many?
Harte doesn't want:
* A player to become complacent and think they will remain on the team just to hit frees
* Wants to ensure that that defenders don't know who to target
* Wants to have resources in place in case of injuries

This in itself results in a bit of uncertainty. None of the men can really establish a confidence in themselves to hit 6/7 frees a game.