Roscommon v Tyrone AI Round 2 Qualifier

Started by Syferus, July 02, 2012, 08:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Quote from: never kickt a ball on July 02, 2012, 01:09:17 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 02, 2012, 11:25:16 AM
I have a vague memory of a low scoring win for the Ros in the league.
Quote from: jamesimcanespy on July 02, 2012, 11:22:30 AM
Hsa this fixture ever taken place before??? Even in the league?

In 2003? One of Harte's first game in charge of Tyrone seniors if not the first?

Wet, oul miserable day.  Watched first half of Old Firm game in a pub in the town before dandering out to Hyde Park. Dong-dong game where the lead kept changing.  Didn't think we'd be lifting Sam that year after final whistle!!!

ross4life

Quote from: red hander on July 02, 2012, 05:03:38 PM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on July 02, 2012, 01:09:17 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 02, 2012, 11:25:16 AM
I have a vague memory of a low scoring win for the Ros in the league.
Quote from: jamesimcanespy on July 02, 2012, 11:22:30 AM
Hsa this fixture ever taken place before??? Even in the league?

In 2003? One of Harte's first game in charge of Tyrone seniors if not the first?

Wet, oul miserable day.  Watched first half of Old Firm game in a pub in the town before dandering out to Hyde Park. Dong-dong game where the lead kept changing.  Didn't think we'd be lifting Sam that year after final whistle!!!

I remember that game like yesterday back in those days we were able to top Div 1. The Clann na ngael greyhound was sent off early in the game & we still managed to turnaround 8-4 HT Tyrone lead. It was Mickey Harte's first defeat if Tyrone lose this game could it be his last?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Jaysus if that's the case Tyrone must be in a bad old state if we're beating them. I guess we'll have to wait 'till in R3 before we get tested. I think we're running out of rungs to go up, mind.

ross4life

Quote from: AFS on July 02, 2012, 06:28:40 PM
Tyrone will win this handy enough. They have more than one forward and won't throw in the towel at the first sign of trouble. Despite what they pulled off yesterday, Roscommon really aren't up to much.

Armagh with with one forward & throwing in the towel doesn't say much about ye either, TBH i was expecting alot more from Armagh especially when they looked half decent v Tyrone. I haven't forgotten your post after the Tyrone v Roscommon game last year.
The best teams aren't the ones with the most good moments, rather the ones that make the least mistakes.
Roscommon seems to be a side that enjoys a fair amount of good moments in games, but just makes too many mistakes to be considered a good team.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ONeill

02/02/2003 - Roscommon 0-11 Tyrone 0-10

Fourteen-man Roscommon staged a stirring second half recovery to pip defending league champions Tyrone in this hard fought Division 1A tie at Dr Hyde Park.The 3,000-strong crowd saw Tyrone dominate the first period and Roscommon woes were compounded when Jonathan Dunning was sent off after 14 minutes. Tyrone led by double scores at the break, 0-8 to Roscommon's 0-4. Without their Errigan Ciarans' contingent Tyrone ran out of steam in the final quarter and a string of long range points from Gerry Lohan, Nigel Dineen and Stephen Lohan saw the home side clear by a point at the final whistle.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Go home ref

Those were the days  ;D
However our long decline ( from the relative heights of getting to NFL Semis 3 years in a row ) began that year really and culminated in the disaster year of 2008.
Mind you 2012 saw a drop from the relative highs of 2010 and 11 which I'd like to think has now been arrested.
Anyway on to this game .. another routine whipping of a lesser light by the great and famous Tyrone I expect  :-\

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrone Dreamer

Glad Tyrone don't have to wait to long to get back into action. Could definitely have got an easier draw but at this stage should just be glad of the second chance. I thought we easily could have got a draw on Saturday and despite Donegal dominating for a long period in the second half we probably created more decent chances overall. We were also missing Justy McMahon and Ronan McNabb who was the chief breaking ball winner against Armagh wasn't fit to start.

As mentioned by others are freetaking has to be improved. It really needs sorted and we need a player to take responsibility on either side. Also we still seem to be slightly behind the top teams in terms of fitness and if that's the case a run through the qualifiers might not be a bad thing if it is fully endorsed by the full panel like 08 when players not starting worked really hard to keep up with the fitness.

I thought one of our problems on Saturday was the lack of quick ball inside. We currently don't have a top class target man and I'm starting to wonder if Cassidy is maybe worth a go at full forward with O'Neill playing off him. That would allow more direct ball inside. Also think if Justy is fit it could allow Clarke to be a decent option at half back or even midfield. Would maybe go with this team for the next day:
McConnell
McCrory
Justy
Carlin
Clarke
Gormley
O'Neill
Cavanagh
Joe
McNabb
Mark Donnelly/Harte (can't decide)
Penrose
O'Neill
Cassidy
Mattie Donnelly

That would freshen up the team a little and for a change this season leave decent forward options to come on when the game opens up - McGuigan, Mulligan and Harte or Mark Donnelly. I'm not saying I'd want that team for the rest of the year but might be worth freshening things up a little after a tough defeat. I'm also not convinced that it would be a bad idea to move Colm Cavangh to half forward to add a bit of size on this line. Suppose the options in midfield would be Clarke or Cassidy.

Throw ball

If Tyrone have their game face on they will win at a canter. No one should be fooled by the Armagh result.

Captain Obvious

Over the last decade team's like Sligo,Laois and Mayo have knocked Tyrone out of the championship of course it only happened because Tyrone didn't have their game face on.

seafoid

Ros should give it a good rattle. It's a while since the county regained its place in footballing prominence.
If Leitrim could beat Wicklow and if Galway could grind a result out of Antrim you might even have 5 Connacht teams in the last 16. 

God14

TV3 are designated broadcasters of a football qualifier on the 14th. We'll have to wait and see which game the executives at TV3 plum for.

I would have thought that they would have prefered a 'tea time' game for viewing audience figures etc however, no?

ziggy90

Quote from: God14 on July 04, 2012, 08:29:10 AM
TV3 are designated broadcasters of a football qualifier on the 14th. We'll have to wait and see which game the executives at TV3 plum for.

I would have thought that they would have prefered a 'tea time' game for viewing audience figures etc however, no?

You're probably right but can't the times be changed? When the TV fixtures are announced would someone post them up please.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

omagh_gael