Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 13, 2012, 03:38:03 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 13, 2012, 03:29:54 PM
Im not a Wum and was a pretty seious footballer aome time ago  i have played in a connacht final if you really need to know so i think i know football and supporters fairly well.
Quoting mayo mick is probably accurate to the inner thoughts of all the mayo posters but he is a clown, although at least he has the balls to express it, the rest of the mayoites are to long in the grass to express there real views public thats why you get 27 pages of tripe, ie ballghadereen, bellaghy, mort, who are the real favs, all to deflect from a mayo mindset that really hopes sligo give them a game so they dont go into the qtr final without getting a game. Thats mayos real worry, there certain of winning make no mistake and will belittle the likes of mayo mick for exposing there inner thoughts.

The only person bringing up Bellaghy is your good self. Still waiting on sligoman2's response from earlier.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sligoman2

My reply to what?

All i am saying is that many of you are now publicly saying ye expect an easy win.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

moysider

D Clarke; C Barrett, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; D Vaughan, T Cunniffe, K McLoughlin; T Parsons, R McGarrity; A Moran, S O'Shea, T Mortimer; C Mortimer, A Freeman, E Varley.

That was the 2010 team. 7 survivors. Didn t think (hoped there wouldn t)  would be that many. We may need others as subs.

Still think that day was the pits. At least we tried against Longford after. But we were abject against Sligo and these guys owe themselves and everybody in football in the county with a response on Sunday.

It wasn t losing to Sligo that was so hurtful - that s happened before - it was that the result was never in doubt from a long way out because the towel was thrown in and us with no stomach. Something like 20 mins left and 2 points in it and we had no idea, no stomach and no pride. A mate left in disgust with 15 mins left and headed back to Dublin. He could have brought most of the team with him.

Of course we were coming to the end of a disasterous management and we should be in a better place now. Still I m apprehensive and this Conorshite is another load of dung we seem to tip on ourselves on an annual basis. I ll only be happy if we re like rabid dogs from the starting whistle next day. If we play the tip tapping shite we did in first 20 mins v Leitrim it could be another long day to endure.

Blowitupref

Quote from: TyrionLannister on July 13, 2012, 03:58:29 PM
This pussyfooting and nit-picking is boring.

Paddy Power has Mayo at 1-3 and Sligo at 10-3, are Paddy Power being arrogant?

2007 Connacht final Galway were odds on, 2010 Sligo were odds on and Galway were odds on to defeat Sligo in the semi final this year.

As the last few years has proved Sligo are inconsistent and prefer the underdog tag however Mayo were favorites to win it last year and won it i expect the same to happen again.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mayo.mick

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 13, 2012, 11:07:36 AM
Quote from: knobblyknees on July 13, 2012, 10:57:23 AM
Anyone have an idea, where I can watch this game online. Im in New Zealand and would hate to miss it

If TV3 steam it live it shouldn't be too hard to watch it on the web. You'll have to clone an Irish IP address but that'll be easy.A quick google search will throw a heap of sites that do this.

Have a look here; http://www.aertv.ie/#tv3  The match is at 2pm local, i don't think that site is geo locked.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2012, 04:38:47 PM
D Clarke; C Barrett, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; D Vaughan, T Cunniffe, K McLoughlin; T Parsons, R McGarrity; A Moran, S O'Shea, T Mortimer; C Mortimer, A Freeman, E Varley.

That was the 2010 team. 7 survivors. Didn t think (hoped there wouldn t)  would be that many. We may need others as subs.

Still think that day was the pits. At least we tried against Longford after. But we were abject against Sligo and these guys owe themselves and everybody in football in the county with a response on Sunday.

It wasn t losing to Sligo that was so hurtful - that s happened before - it was that the result was never in doubt from a long way out because the towel was thrown in and us with no stomach. Something like 20 mins left and 2 points in it and we had no idea, no stomach and no pride. A mate left in disgust with 15 mins left and headed back to Dublin. He could have brought most of the team with him.

Of course we were coming to the end of a disasterous management and we should be in a better place now. Still I m apprehensive and this Conorshite is another load of dung we seem to tip on ourselves on an annual basis. I ll only be happy if we re like rabid dogs from the starting whistle next day. If we play the tip tapping shite we did in first 20 mins v Leitrim it could be another long day to endure.

Good God:, will you ever forget that day, moy?
I've witnessed many abject Mayo displays before that one and a few since but that was indeed the pits.
No distract whatever to Sligo; they did what they had to do and would have given any team in the land a run for their money that day but Mayo made their job a whole lot easier.
I met my good friend Sligonian before the thrown in and I had the nagging feeling that he would leave the happier of the pair of us and I'm afraid that premonition turned out to be true.
The defining moment for me was the sight of Aidan O'Shea turning his back on the play after being rather easily dispossessed and aimlessly stabbing his boots into the ground.
Hard to say which of us wanted to be first out of the place.
Mayo have come on a lot since then; hard to tell about Sligo.
I think they read far too much into that win over Mayo and paid the price when they got snared by Roscommon. Sunday will tell if they have got their swagger back by now; the win against Galway may suggest that they have but, like the win over Mayo in '10, they may set too much store  by it.
With a biteen of luck, they will and sure we could still be in with a chance. ;D
Conorgate is unsettling; hope the team reacts positively and keep their eye on the ball as it were but one can't be sure.
Anyway, it's good to see Aidan is back on the bench. I can't see him daydreaming again if he gets the chance to go in.
I don't have a ticket at the moment as I had expected that there wasn't going to be a big demand for them but I see on the Rossie website that the stand is sold out and while other tickets can be got through selected Supervalu and Centra stores, there's no mention of sales on the day at the ground.
Is it worth the risk of going on spec and hoping for half decent weather?
As nobody here has brought up the subject of tickets before this, I was expecting that there would be no panic but I'm beginning to regret my lack of haste now.
I imagine there'll be tickets floating around if I get there early enough.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

western exile

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 13, 2012, 09:01:05 PM
on the Rossie website that the stand is sold out and while other tickets can be got through selected Supervalu and Centra stores, there's no mention of sales on the day at the ground.
Is it worth the risk of going on spec and hoping for half decent weather?
As nobody here has brought up the subject of tickets before this, I was expecting that there would be no panic but I'm beginning to regret my lack of haste now.
I imagine there'll be tickets floating around if I get there early enough.
This is a bit worrying for me.  I am hoping to make it to the game after a wedding in Co. Cavan the night before, and was leaving it to last minute to buy a ticket taking into account weather / hangover / etc.
Ah well, I will see how I go.

western exile

Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2012, 04:38:47 PM

What I found intriguing from reading the program of the Leitrim game was that there are still 8 survivors from their previous meeting in Carrick-on-Shannon in 2006. 

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: ludermor on July 13, 2012, 03:34:07 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 13, 2012, 03:29:54 PM
Im not a Wum and was a pretty seious footballer aome time ago  i have played in a connacht final if you really need to know so i think i know football and supporters fairly well.
I think we have found Sligo Mick

Not true. Sligoman2 is a long time member of board and was on the Sligo team that recorded one of the biggest shocks in Connacht football. Still makes me sick to think about it!

macdanger2

Not a word from the Sligo folk on here about what a rubbish job Kevin Walsh is doing?? I could have sworn they were adamant he should have been shown the door last year..........

sligoman2

Kevin has done a great job in my oponion.  He needs to have a sbort fuse on sunday and pull out anyone thats not performing as we have a lot of men on the bench that want to be on the other side of the white line
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Mayo Mick

Rosnarun is right –if we can't beat Sligo we are going nowhere.  Travelling around the county during the week there is little enough interest in this game but nobody I spoke to thought we might lose. It's a game to be played to move on to the business end of things. No point in pretending anything else.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 14, 2012, 06:50:21 AM
Kevin has done a great job in my oponion.  He needs to have a sbort fuse on sunday and pull out anyone thats not performing as we have a lot of men on the bench that want to be on the other side of the white line
Would you believe that you are the first Sligo poster (ASAIK) that has come out openly and said what the rest of the country has been saying for years. Indeed the abuse he got from some had to be seen to believed when he failed to deliver the Connacht title in 2010..

neilthemac

Ultimately, what has Kevin Walsh won with Sligo?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: neilthemac on July 14, 2012, 10:44:43 AM
Ultimately, what has Kevin Walsh won with Sligo?
Here you are, courtesy of Wikipedia:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Walsh_(Gaelic_footballer)
He was appointed manager of the Sligo senior football team in November 2008.
He led Sligo from Division 4 to Division 2 of the National Football League in his first two years in charge winning the Division 4 and 3 titles in the process. He also lead Sligo to the Connacht Junior Football Championship & All-Ireland Junior Football Championship in 2010. In 2011 he led Sligo to a second Connacht Junior Championship.
You could add in for good measure that he engineered wins over both Galway and Mayo in the senior championship of 2010. From what I can gather, that was the first time, Sligo beat the Big Two as Sligo people are fond of calling Galway and Mayo.