Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyrionLannister

Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2012, 01:47:08 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 13, 2012, 01:29:15 PM
sligoman2 where have I shown overconfidwnce? Mayo are in disarray with Mortimer hogging the headlines.

I wouldn t bother 'deelin. It s how they like to think we think.

If anything there s fair amount of smugness among local Sligos about this one. They re not quite rubbing their hands together but........

As regards Conorgate. Chokin the little fecker wants with family statements and shite. Why should Horan have to explain every selection to him?

Harte was in form in late league and got no game time at all v Leitrim and he didn t go away crying like a baby. A bigger loss if we were to progress imo.

I liked Harte a lot as a player, he was showing good form but I wouldnt be totally happy with his match fitness during the NFL so I thnk it premature to suggest he should start based on form. As a matter of interest who would you replace if Harte started against Leitrim? Big loss to Ballina too.

sligoman2

Im not going to waste my time explaining what ye already know.

I will just say check out the gems from mayo mick for starters including

"its div 1 v div3 thats all the analysis needed"

Or

"hope sligo give us a good game.starting so late we need to get up to speed quickly"

Open signs of OVER confidence which i kind of like
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

seanog

Charlie Harrison in his interview i read on Hoganstand, comes across as fairly confident. He has no reason not to be i suppose, they disposed of Galway in their patch and their ff line looked dynamic at times. Charlies says, they have never been in better shape and seems to put that in the context without saying it as such , that they will match Mayo for conditioning, i'd have my doubts about that but we'll have to wait and see on that count.

Will there be more Sligo support than Mayo? I'm not sure how to gauge how many Mayo will show up, the Hyde is not that mouthwatering a venue for a match v Sligo , with the minors there too (an extra 1k) id guess maybe 8-10 k Mayo, conservative estimate maybe. Could be near full house, if the Rossies turn up in big numbers.

western exile

I am assuming that they will be selling tickets at the venue before throw-in (provided not sold out by tomorrow of course)?
Or must the tickets be bought off site?

TyrionLannister

Quote from: seanog on July 13, 2012, 02:18:46 PM
Charlie Harrison in his interview i read on Hoganstand, comes across as fairly confident. He has no reason not to be i suppose, they disposed of Galway in their patch and their ff line looked dynamic at times. Charlies says, they have never been in better shape and seems to put that in the context without saying it as such , that they will match Mayo for conditioning, i'd have my doubts about that but we'll have to wait and see on that count.

Will there be more Sligo support than Mayo? I'm not sure how to gauge how many Mayo will show up, the Hyde is not that mouthwatering a venue for a match v Sligo , with the minors there too (an extra 1k) id guess maybe 8-10 k Mayo, conservative estimate maybe. Could be near full house, if the Rossies turn up in big numbers.

With the media interest in Conorgate id expect a late scramble for tickets from Mayo people, half out of interest, half to express their support to the team who are under significant scrutiny and pressure from this.

moysider

Quote from: TyrionLannister on July 13, 2012, 02:09:15 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2012, 01:47:08 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 13, 2012, 01:29:15 PM
sligoman2 where have I shown overconfidwnce? Mayo are in disarray with Mortimer hogging the headlines.

I wouldn t bother 'deelin. It s how they like to think we think.

If anything there s fair amount of smugness among local Sligos about this one. They re not quite rubbing their hands together but........

As regards Conorgate. Chokin the little fecker wants with family statements and shite. Why should Horan have to explain every selection to him?

Harte was in form in late league and got no game time at all v Leitrim and he didn t go away crying like a baby. A bigger loss if we were to progress imo.

I liked Harte a lot as a player, he was showing good form but I wouldnt be totally happy with his match fitness during the NFL so I thnk it premature to suggest he should start based on form. As a matter of interest who would you replace if Harte started against Leitrim? Big loss to Ballina too.

I wasn t making a case for starting him against Leitrim or even against Sligo. Just saying that he didn t get on at all v Leitrim even though 5 subs were used ( Feeney, Conor, McGar, Varley and Conroy).

I would though have a fully fit Harte in my team in hf line.

moysider

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 13, 2012, 02:16:23 PM

Or

"hope sligo give us a good game.starting so late we need to get up to speed quickly"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

How about go and gettin a few Tommy Cooper quotes!

They d be just as relevant to what most of us think.

Crete Boom

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 13, 2012, 02:16:23 PM

Or

So you are quoting Mayo Mick ::) Good man you are either a WUM or very deluded. If you are a WUM fair play to you , it certainly adds to general circus around any Mayo thread. If not I hope you never played any serious football cause the size of the chips on your shoulders would have you in serious trouble ;D
And now for some Mayo arrogance just to give some balance. Mayo and Doherty/Varley have been given a fairly serious pressure grenade lobbed in by the Mort with the family statement and everything that goes with it. If we are serious team this should be irrelevant and we should go about our business on Sunday like normal. Sligo pose some very important challenges if we want to retain the Nestor cup. Tony Taylor if on form could do serious damage , not just in terms of wining primary possesion but also in stopping our running game at our own half back line. Also I think the real danger men in the middle third for Sligo are Harrison and Huges. They did some amount of damage against Galway and along with Costello were the launchpad for the most attacks. I think this is where we can curtail Marren and Kelly rather than trying to do the traditional double up marking tactics.
Also I think we'll need Dillion and O connor to have big games going forward cause I think quick accurate ball into Any and Doc we'll be needed to vary our attack and make space for our running game. The key for us is composure at the start( I know not really a Mayo trait) cause Sligo are going to go in for the kill early especially since Connor-gate is making us look like clowns again and it'll be tough for Sligo to not fall into the trap of thinking same old typical soft self-imploding Mayo and that it'll be a rerun of 2010!

sligoman2

Im not a Wum and was a pretty seious footballer aome time ago  i have played in a connacht final if you really need to know so i think i know football and supporters fairly well.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

ludermor

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 13, 2012, 03:29:54 PM
Im not a Wum and was a pretty seious footballer aome time ago  i have played in a connacht final if you really need to know so i think i know football and supporters fairly well.
I think we have found Sligo Mick

SLIGONIAN

Quoting mayo mick is probably accurate to the inner thoughts of all the mayo posters but he is a clown, although at least he has the balls to express it, the rest of the mayoites are to long in the grass to express there real views public thats why you get 27 pages of tripe, ie ballghadereen, bellaghy, mort, who are the real favs, all to deflect from a mayo mindset that really hopes sligo give them a game so they dont go into the qtr final without getting a game. Thats mayos real worry, there certain of winning make no mistake and will belittle the likes of mayo mick for exposing there inner thoughts.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Crete Boom

Fair enough no offence intended. I would have loved to have been good enough even to play FBD for my county but unfortunately what God give'th in talent for a foreign sport I played he took away from our native sport that I love.
Having represented you're county at the top level still doesn't explain you're relentless pursuit for this perceived arrogance of Mayo posters. So far you're only evidence of this arrogance is a few wild quotes from probably the most excitable and enthusiastic Mayo supporter in history and other Mayo posters saying they are confident of a win on Sunday. Are Mayo people not allowed to voice their confidence in their team. Did you ever feel or were you accused of being arrogant if you told people you were confident of wining a big game in your playing days?

Crete Boom

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 13, 2012, 03:38:03 PM
Quoting mayo mick is probably accurate to the inner thoughts of all the mayo posters but he is a clown, although at least he has the balls to express it, the rest of the mayoites are to long in the grass to express there real views public thats why you get 27 pages of tripe, ie ballghadereen, bellaghy, mort, who are the real favs, all to deflect from a mayo mindset that really hopes sligo give them a game so they dont go into the qtr final without getting a game. Thats mayos real worry, there certain of winning make no mistake and will belittle the likes of mayo mick for exposing there inner thoughts.
Get in there Sligonian while you've mellowed slightly lately there's nothing like Mayo to get you fired up. And in my own defence I did reply to an earlier post of yours by saying the heart says Mayo by 30 points but the head says a much tighter affair(maybe only a 25pt win). I can't be more honest than that 8)

seanog

Holy god, some fairly strong worded stuff by the Sligo posters and reading peoples minds is a fair trait in anybodies book.

I don't want to come across too argumentative as i'm only new here but i will say this, i think Mayo will win and don't see how that can be seen as arrogance. If arrogance was evident it would be along the lines of, Sligo haven't a hope, we're a div one team, we win connacht regular , they don't hardly ever even win connacht, they've never won an All Ireland, we will hammer them somethin stupid, etc etc....nobody in Mayo talks like that in the main(bar maybe kids), you'll find if anything Mayo supporters are fairly pessimistic bunch.

TyrionLannister

This pussyfooting and nit-picking is boring.

Paddy Power has Mayo at 1-3 and Sligo at 10-3, are Paddy Power being arrogant?

Yes, Mayo are expected to win. Its not arrogance, so build a bridge and get over it.

Its still a dangerous game as Sligo are quietly confident and believe they can win, and why shouldnt they?
Also the episode with the little buck may have a positive or negative effect on Mayo, we will see on Sunday.