Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanog

Hello, first post.

McDonald is probably a non starter for lots of reasons, i doubt he has any desire to return to the panel for a start, he was shamefully treated by the fg man and co.

He is still well able for county though, 37 or not.  Man of the match performance last championship outing for Crosmollina, scoring nine points.

Back to the game in hand, Mayo should have too much for Sligo. I tend to think people are making too much of the Galway game (collapse) , they were brutal, still can't get my head around it tbh, rampant against Roscommon , then fall apart against a slightly  more intense Sligo.

Mayo should not underestimate Sligo(like i am) though, hit them hard and fast and don't give them a chance to get their tail  up at all, you would imagine we should be capable.

Don't fancy the chances of our minors, didn't look strong the last day and Ross brushed us aside in minor league too.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Sam2011 on July 12, 2012, 10:21:47 PM
Listening to mid west there and the Mortimer family have released a statement practically saying that he felt Horan had a disliking towards him and that he never contacted him when recovering from injury last year and when James was informed Conor was playing a club game he didn't bother showing up to see him. It also seems conor feels Horan had a disliking towards his former club Shrule saying that how there was no Shrule players n the panel on anymore. He also said that every time he was dropped he was told they were trying out a different game plan and in the end he lost his confidence. That was the general gist of it anyway.
I can't seem to find a written statement any were.
Jeez..has he not made enough of a mess of things....."Horan had a disliking towards his former club Shrule" PLEEEEASE!
So can we read from that,that when Jason Gibbons saw RMcG go on against Leitrim after a few weeks of training, it may have been a case of James"disliking Ballintubber"???
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Sam2011

Quote from: sans pessimism on July 12, 2012, 10:40:59 PM
Quote from: Sam2011 on July 12, 2012, 10:21:47 PM
Listening to mid west there and the Mortimer family have released a statement practically saying that he felt Horan had a disliking towards him and that he never contacted him when recovering from injury last year and when James was informed Conor was playing a club game he didn't bother showing up to see him. It also seems conor feels Horan had a disliking towards his former club Shrule saying that how there was no Shrule players n the panel on anymore. He also said that every time he was dropped he was told they were trying out a different game plan and in the end he lost his confidence. That was the general gist of it anyway.
I can't seem to find a written statement any were.
Jeez..has he not made enough of a mess of things....."Horan had a disliking towards his former club Shrule" PLEEEEASE!
So can we read from that,that when Jason Gibbons saw RMcG go on against Leitrim after a few weeks of training, it may have been a case of James"disliking Ballintubber"???

In Conor's defence I was typing and listening to the radio at the same time so I may have picked things up wrong this is just MY gist of the statement.
This was a statement released by his family, NOT Conor and they did not say directly say he felt Horan had a disliking towards his former this was the vibe I was getting.
I can't to find a written statement of this as it was Conor's father who rang in, but midwest might upload it later to there website later.

boosabum

I know horan put a lot of shrule noses out of joint after his appointment due to a misunderstanding of sorts. He wasn't very complimentary to them, so maybe that's where the perceived slight is coming from on the shrule point of view. Conor certainly divides opinion, i think he once commented that mayo wouldn't will an all Ireland without him, looks like we will have to now

macdanger2

Quote from: TyrionLannister on July 12, 2012, 12:27:35 PM
he never had ONE good performance in Croke Park, where it matters. He rarely did damn all from play against any decent defender.

Was the last minute free to level against Laois not in Croker? And when you talk about "handy 10 metre frees", you should go back and have a look at the Galway game last year and see how we got on that day without a freetaker.

Conor had his limitations - personally I think one of his major faults was that he had to take a couple of touches before shooting at which point he was swallowed up - but regardless of how good or bad you think he was, he was good enough to make the team under multiple managers and his scoring record will stand until someone better / more consistent comes along.

sligoman2

The confidence of the mayo posters is growing each day I see as we near the final.  I can understand why they are so confident and they should be.

I think a lot depends on how Sligo plays on the day, when we hit our stride we can match any team, but when we are bad we can be brutal.

Let's home the in form Sligo team shows up and catches an over confident mayo camp on the hop...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Cosmo Kramer

I'm not particularly confident having seen the midfield we've selected. Barry Moran's display against a non-existant Leitrim midfield disguises his and our limitations in this area without an on form Aidan O'Shea in the starting 15.

We're favourites and rightly so (although the odds should be much closer than they are)  but Sligo are well capable of beating us and I won't be at all surprised if they do just that on Sunday.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 13, 2012, 12:09:55 AM
The confidence of the mayo posters is growing each day I see as we near the final.  I can understand why they are so confident and they should be.

I think a lot depends on how Sligo plays on the day, when we hit our stride we can match any team, but when we are bad we can be brutal.

Let's home the in form Sligo team shows up and catches an over confident mayo camp on the hop...

I think that's the formula for nuclear reactions.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: seanog on July 12, 2012, 10:30:40 PM
Hello, first post.

McDonald is probably a non starter for lots of reasons, i doubt he has any desire to return to the panel for a start, he was shamefully treated by the fg man and co.

He is still well able for county though, 37 or not.  Man of the match performance last championship outing for Crosmollina, scoring nine points.

Back to the game in hand, Mayo should have too much for Sligo. I tend to think people are making too much of the Galway game (collapse) , they were brutal, still can't get my head around it tbh, rampant against Roscommon , then fall apart against a slightly  more intense Sligo.

Mayo should not underestimate Sligo(like i am) though, hit them hard and fast and don't give them a chance to get their tail  up at all, you would imagine we should be capable.

Don't fancy the chances of our minors, didn't look strong the last day and Ross brushed us aside in minor league too.

Welcome to the Board Seanog. Be consistent in what you believe in and do your best not to rise to any bait and you'll find this place is mighty crack. Hope you enjoy it here.

moysider

What kind of shite talk is that ::) You obviously pick out the select wind up merchants. Go back and read the stuff again and quit the attempted spin. You re doing your own cred no good at all by trying to set us up for a fall that few of us are gearing up for.

An overconfident camp is in your imagination. Let s deal with reality ffs. This thread has been a mess. No debate. At least a few Mayos tried to engage with selection and tactics. What have you and your county posters done? Ye haven t gone away.
You re last post is an affront to the majority of Mayo football people I would confidently say. We ve had to put up with this shite for years. Mayo s mindset is not our own it seems. It s what Sligo, Roscommon,Galway  folk and whoever  thinks our mindset is or they would like it to be ::). Grow up.

Farrandeelin

Look it, it is a Connacht final. If Mayo do win it will be by a point or 2. Likewise Sligo. I for one am worried Mortimer's scenario might be played upon by the Sligo management. They will be happy a Mayo scoring option has quit, with a few days to go. Their players may sense relief of sorts and pull a performance out of the bag to cause what everyone else (apart from knowlgeable Mayo folk an upset). Likewise Mayo may pull togetherand produce a big performance to win the game. I hope they do, but am far from complacent or cocky.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Exactly.....how any person from Mayo could be complacent or cocky is beyond me, jeeze...we've had our fair share of bate'ns down through the years....Leitrim, Westmeath,Longford and Sligo x 2 in recent history...not to mention getting out Ennis and the Hyde with skin of teeth wins over Tipp and Limerick too.

So I expect nothing less than to be put through the ringer on Sunday with Mayo, but sure feck it....we wouldn't have it any other way would we?

TyrionLannister

Quote from: moysider on July 12, 2012, 10:23:55 PM
The word on the street is that Patrick Harte is out with a broken foot. That would rule him out for the Summer. He s had a ridiculous run of injuries.

The ould bench is thinning out.

Metatarsal, broken jumping out of his jeep.

TyrionLannister

What's Aidan O Se's fitness like? Will he see a few minutes I wonder?

Hartey is a huge loss, and was always a guy you could bring in to midfield or the half forwards.

The problem with the whole "M" saga is that its putting huge pressure on Doc and Varley and the rest of the team.

It will either make Mayo or break Mayo. It all depends on the reaction of the players.
My blood is boiling about the whole thing, so the players must be leapin.

EDIT:
I also see that Sligo have named Tony Taylor midfield, adding a touch of experience to the middle

Crete Boom

Hey Sligoman2 I think your post reflects why Sligo haven't beaten us more over the years. You should be talking about the positives and momentum your team has at the moment and not praying that Mayo would be so over confident that we won't bother to play with any intensity at all on Sunday. I've heard this crap for years from my neighbours across the border and it's getting a little old now. If you want to engage is barstool Gaa psychology why don't you get a job editing Martin Breheny's genius in depth articles about all things Mayo!
Hey Syferus time to dust off the old Mayo flag and get it hanging outside the house sure all the Rossie police will be in the Hyde for the minor match so you'll be safe enough to show your true colours ;)
  Back to the game , if the Mortimer thing really affects the players for this one I'll be disappointed cause it'll show all this talk of our new found steel/hardness to be a load of crap. I'll have no problem if Sligo beat us fair and square but if we go into our shell or throw in the towel when the game is tight( which I believe it will be) then we'll be back to the drawing board and listening to crap from Breheny for the next year( probably edited by sligoman2).